Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Think about it... if they priced it at even $250 for the entry level iPad Mini... why would most people spend more to get an iPod Touch?

Also... maybe I'm wrong, but Apple, unlike other vendors, likes to actually make a profit on hardware sales. No reason for them to give away product right now.

Im sick of the iPod touch argument.

SINCE WHEN DID AN IPAD FIT IN A POCKET?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pathetic.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Can anyone tell real sales figures of iPhone5? Last time, when iPhone 4S was released - every few days Apple reported about new sales records. Now, just one number - 5 million sold in one week and total silence. We don't have calculate Х=Y/100+SQR(Z)*365 from the suspicious cellular activations reports. Where is the real sale figures from Apple? Is there any real troubles with the figures? Why they try to hide it from the public this time?

Stay tuned. Its going to come out tomorrow. !!!!!

Last edited:

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Think about it... if they priced it at even $250 for the entry level iPad Mini... why would most people spend more to get an iPod Touch?

Also... maybe I'm wrong, but Apple, unlike other vendors, likes to actually make a profit on hardware sales. No reason for them to give away product right now.

Then they should have thought out the pricing schedule better. Look, I am not saying that they shouldn't make a profit. I am saying that as someone who has owned almost ever apple thing ever made many times over, this is one time I am not compelled to run right out and get one where at $260 (isn) they would already have my money. I'd rather spend another $100 and get a full sized one.

I could be wrong, but I am betting that a lot of others feel the same way.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Ok....AT&T!!! Take that *hard earned money* and put your LTE towers up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AT&T doesn't make nearly as much money with the iPhone as Apple does.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Sorry but apple screwed up! $329. Really?

Why not eat the $100, make it $229, or even $259 and sell a bazillion of them?

I think this will make more people look at the $199 droids instead. After all, if you are just going to use it for kids, or for reading, why not go with Kindle, or Android?

I am a total apple fan, but I still think they screwed up. Just have to wait for the disappointing after holiday numbers.

Apple has always insisted on super high profit margins, as a shareholder I can only applaud this. As a customer; sure everything could be cheaper but a race to the bottom is a fool's game. I'm prepared to pay the Apple "premium" for premium products and ecosystem. Luckily there are plenty of other choices at the lower end. Trust me, Apple is going to KILL it this holiday season.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
AT&T doesn't make nearly as much money with the iPhone as Apple does.

But AT&T makes a lot more money with the iPhone then they would without it.

No one makes as much money as Apple and a large chunk of that is iPhone.

Love the Br Ba avatar, BTW.

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011

I think this will make more people look at the $199 droids instead. After all, if you are just going to use it for kids, or for reading, why not go with Kindle, or Android?

I am a total apple fan, but I still think they screwed up. Just have to wait for the disappointing after holiday numbers.

$299 would have been the best price, psychologically. But the real problem will be supply. Apple really screwed up on the manufacturing side -- supposedly Tim Cook's area of expertise. Apple will not be able to push their products out the door regardless of price. They've lost more the SJ.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
That's not how it works. There are areas they'd like nothing more to put up towers, but local codes specify how many towers can be placed in a particular region. In many, many locales, no more towers can be placed at this time. Every carrier has it's good locations and poor locations. One purchases services from a carrier that has good coverage in their area. Where I live, AT&T kicks Verizon's a$$. Where you live, perhaps it's Verizon, or Sprint, or someone else. Superior national coverage only matters if you travel to every point in the country.

Yupp probably should have noted the obvious that it's not a new "tower". Even so if it worked like you thought then Verizon must be doing some _________favors in my area. Btw my area is the 3rd/4th largest in MI.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

"These amazing tablets retail for £599.99 but we're craaaaazy so we sell them to you for just £9.99! That's right, we take a £300 hit on each device! How do we do it?! We make it up with VOLUME!!!"

All joking aside, your comment reminds me of something. It reminds me of the comments made when the iPhone came out. And when the iPod came out. And when the iPad came out. And when the Macbook Air came out...

How many times have we seen this pattern?

1) Apple releases a gorgeous piece of hardware made from excellent materials with amazing fit and finish, integrated into its unbeatable ecosystem, and pits it against cheaper "higher spec'd" competitors.

2) The interwub moans - too expensives! X Product is cheaper and has more megahootz! No rocket launcher? No sale!

3) Critics compete with each other to be the first to point out how Apple has finally lost it.

4) Millions of normal people (not Apple fanboys or deluded sheeple - just regular folk) buy the device and Apple posts record breaking sales and profits.

5) Customer usage stats demonstrate that these customers are using their devices more and for more things than the competitors supposedly superior products. Customer satisfaction scores remain way above the competition.

How often do we have to see this same pattern repeat over and over and over again before people stop making the same basic error in reasoning - price is only one part of the marketing mix. Value is not only dependant on the specs of the product as listed on a sheet of paper.

Honestly, guys - history repeating!

None of this is to say that Apple can't ever fail or make a terrible error. They have and they will again. But, if they do, it won't be because they refuse to compete on price or they refuse to include the latest tech in everything they do. We have seen, time and time again, that those factors are not the key differentiators.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008

Simple. It's just Android's price equates it's value.

Any business can price their products like Apple. Wondering why they can't do that? :p

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Biased news. These numbers take into account only subsidized smartphones, but a lot of people buy carrier-free smartphones in stores.

In my case, for example, I never buy subsidized phones in Brazil. In USA I presume the same happens.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So much change in 5 years.

How about that? Makes you wonder what the 'landscape' is gonna look like, five years from now.

Ok....AT&T!!! Take that *hard earned money* and put your LTE towers up!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, those up-front subsidies only come back gradually but, Yes, please.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"These amazing tablets retail for £599.99 but we're craaaaazy so we sell them to you for just £9.99! That's right, we take a £300 hit on each device! How do we do it?! We make it up with VOLUME!!!"

All joking aside, your comment reminds me of something. It reminds me of the comments made when the iPhone came out. And when the iPod came out. And when the iPad came out. And when the Macbook Air came out...

1) Apple releases a gorgeous piece of hardware made from excellent materials with amazing fit and finish, integrated into its unbeatable ecosystem, and pits it against cheaper "higher spec'd" competitors.

2) The interwub moans - too expensives! X Product is cheaper and has more megahootz! No rocket launcher? No sale!

3) Critics compete with each other to be the first to point out how Apple has finally lost it.

4) Millions of normal people (not Apple fanboys or deluded sheeple - just regular folk) buy the device and Apple posts record breaking sales and profits.

5) Customer usage stats demonstrate that these customers are using their devices more and for more things than the competitors supposedly superior products. Customer satisfaction scores remain way above the competition.

How often do we have to see this same pattern repeat over and over and over again before people stop making the same basic error in reasoning - price is only one part of the marketing mix. Value is not only dependant on the specs of the product as listed on a sheet of paper.

None of this is to say that Apple can't ever fail or make a terrible error. They have and they will again. But, if they do, it won't be because they refuse to compete on price or they refuse to include the latest tech in everything they do. We have seen, time and time again, that those factors are not the key differentiators.

I completely agree with you, and don't blame them for the $329 price. As much as I would loved to have seen it at $299, I've got bigger problems to worry about than $30.

Other than that, no one complained about the iPad price. No one knew what it was going to be (if it would run iOS, OSX, both, etc), but $499 was considered cheap at the time. :)

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

The day Apple needs to compete on price is when AAPL shareholders should sell their stock. Personally, at $329, I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with demand so I've no problem with Apple's pricing. This is a premium device and priced accordingly. The others are peddling specs but don't offer a great user experience.

And even of Android/Kindle dominate the bargain basement section of the market, those users won't be buying tons of apps, media & accessories which means developers will continue to focus on iPad and possibly Win 8 tablets. Also, racing to the bottom means fewer dollars for OEM's, leaving little to no dollars to invest in innovation and eventually squeezing many of them out of the market entirely. We've seen this play out in PCs to the point where MS and Intel are now creating their own hardware and/or reference designs for OEMs.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Then they should have thought out the pricing schedule better. Look, I am not saying that they shouldn't make a profit. I am saying that as someone who has owned almost ever apple thing ever made many times over, this is one time I am not compelled to run right out and get one where at $260 (isn) they would already have my money. I'd rather spend another $100 and get a full sized one.

This is exactly how Apple planned it. They would rather have you purchase the higher profit model. If you must have something smaller, you have the option of either the mini or something that doesn't fit into their ecosystem.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

LMFAO so true

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York

Thank you, didn't have the time to say all this myself. I was at the original iPod release when they used to stream SJ Keynotes into Apple Stores (SoHo) I couldn't believe the backlash it generated! I brought so many iDevices since then I've lost count...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I completely agree with you, and don't blame them for the $329 price. As much as I would loved to have seen it at $299, I've got bigger problems to worry about than $30.

Other than that, no one complained about the iPad price. No one knew what it was going to be (if it would run iOS, OSX, both, etc), but $499 was considered cheap at the time. :)

That's true, in part, but a lot of people did complain that it was just a big iPod and for the same price they could buy a "real" computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.