Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Don't "hate" the new iMac as much as I am disappointed in it. Waited way past the usual upgrade cycle for a new model that really isn't much different from a spec bump.

I like the design of the new fused glass front. I like the fact they didn't abandon USB 3.0 for Thunderbolt only.

Other than that, there's not much to get excited about. The removal of the optical drive is too soon IMHO. Making it thinner is absolutely redundant. They could have done so much more with the design, as some PC all-in-ones have done.

I'm with flopticalcube, I'm not liking the direction Apple is going with the iMac line.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Either you did not understand or my writing wasnt good enough - I meant that there is no reason to block upgrade for fusion in entry model, as the more expensive 21,5 allows this upgrade...
Yes, great, to get HDD that should be standard in 2012 I have to pay for 27incher:D

Oh my bad. I was tired, 2 hours past midnight here in Norway.

Now i see what you mean, and know i also agree thats really stupid and really weird

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Don't "hate" the new iMac as much as I am disappointed in it. Waited way past the usual upgrade cycle for a new model that really isn't much different from a spec bump.

I like the design of the new fused glass front. I like the fact they didn't abandon USB 3.0 for Thunderbolt only.

Other than that, there's not much to get excited about. The removal of the optical drive is too soon IMHO. Making it thinner is absolutely redundant. They could have done so much more with the design, as some PC all-in-ones have done.

I'm with flopticalcube, I'm not liking the direction Apple is going with the iMac line.
I can see why people are underwhelmed by the lack of changes, but seriously what were people expecting? An 8 core AIO with desktop graphics? I think yesterday's announcement was as good as it gets for the iMac, not much else apple could have done.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
I can see why people are underwhelmed by the lack of changes, but seriously what were people expecting? An 8 core AIO with desktop graphics? I think yesterday's announcement was as good as it gets for the iMac, not much else apple could have done.

The gtx 680mx should surpass the gtx 570 at least. So we have desktop graphics. That is, if Apple uses the same clocks Nvidia gives on their specc sheet. And not downclockes the cards.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
The gtx 680mx should surpass the gtx 570 at least. So we have desktop graphics. That is, if Apple uses the same clocks Nvidia gives on their specc sheet. And not downclockes the cards.

ya, even that. So i honestly don't know why people are so mad. Take a step back, chill out, and think about it. There's really not much else apple could've done.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
ya, even that. So i honestly don't know why people are so mad. Take a step back, chill out, and think about it. There's really not much else apple could've done.

i agree 100%, but again, many people are just trolling. And some people will never be happy. Because they have unrealistic hopes

A saw a guy in here that wanted a retina mbp with sli gtx680mx a 3d screen and 120hz.

Some people are just wishful thinking or just being plain stupid. A bit of both i suppose.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
It's the same thing after EVERY product announcement - iPad, MBA, MBP, ATV, iMac, etc etc etc. People get all lathered up over a product announcement, there's all this wild speculation, and when the final announcement doesn't meet their elevated expectations, it becomes the downward spiral of Apple. If you follow Apple at all, you are stupid if you think that they will offer the fastest, most highest performance components available. It's not going to happen. They will push the envelope with what they think the emerging technology will be (eliminate optical drives, utilize Thunderbolt, introduce retina displays, etc) but the machines will NOT be top speced.

Of course, even the lowly i5 and the GPU in the new 21" will run circles around some of their best machines of just a couple of years ago.

If you want the highest speced machine out there, look elsewhere as you will continue to be disappointed.

I realized this back in 2008 when I was trying to decide between a C2D iMac and a Quad Core HP. The HP was better in every way on paper than the iMac. Thank God I picked the iMac, which I still have and still runs flawlessly. It's still a better user experience than the 3 different work PCs I've had over the same time. THAT'S what is important to me.

nagareru

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Lima, Peru
I agree with the 21" guys. While the 27" has seen a glorious update with the "desktop" 680MX GPU, 32GB user upgradable ram, up to 756GB of SSD or 3TB fusion; the 21" was pretty much downgraded in terms of HDD performance.

Its a - for the 21's but a huge + for the 27's.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
The fact remains, it's legal, whether you agree with the laws or not. If you don't like the laws, vote.
Stop preaching. Large corporations with lots of money can make their own rules and push the boundaries of the law. Politicians and large corps scratch each others' backs. We all know this. That doesn't make a 5400rpm HD a reasonable thing to have in a £1100 desktop.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Good update, but the 5400rpm hard drive in the low end is a killer.

Just seems like they should have put a 128gb SSD in there instead and let the buyer attach an external for storage.

Maybe it wont too hard to upgrade that 5400 rpm, but in this day and age of SSD it sucks. The hard drive is the bottleneck these days.

But this is how Apple operates on the low end. They usually try and give you a reason to spend more money by doing something less than desirable on the low end machine. Or make you wait a generation or two until the low model hits a sweet spot.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It's probably best to wait and see how the default drive performs before getting upset about it.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It's kinda funny to see now that the iMac is out.. Most of what is left in these threads are the ranters, trollers and moaners that never gets happy. What's different this time around with the iMac??? What exactly did you expect? A sudden transformation to a bulky cheap desktop with loads of weird stuff in it? The machine is exactly what people had hoped for earlier. USB3, better gpu and better CPU, new thinner design and breakthrough screen technology and ssd. And since its apple, as always, it doesn't come cheap. BIG SURPRISE!!! If you didn't wait for this then you have really wasted your time. This is what everyone has been talking about and it's pretty much everything that's been on most people's wanted list. So I say with this, time for me as well to disappear. Looking all these threads now is just a waste of time. The new iMac is finally revealed, it was much more than I thought it would be. All that is left here are nagging brats that always have to complain about everything. Cya in 3 years or so, when I'm waiting for another iMac an need someone to share the pain with ;)

L3g4to

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
First as i saw the thinner Display i was diappointed, the cooling would be aweful! But lets see how they Managed the Heat Problem maby it will Rock :)? If Apple would Walt 4 the haswell CPU the GPU would be Outdated and we would Complain about it, in the IT you can always wait for Something better/New. I will buy a Full 27", CPU and graphics fit together so Gaming will be Good in it too! As for te optical discs... Cmon guys are u serious? Even Old Cars dont Play Music from CDs anymore, you only install Things Once From a cd, and you can Save the cd Image on a USBstick 3.0 now ;) the Installation will be quicker :) less reflection Display and no more dust under the Screen? Perfect, i can remember Someone Posted less reflection would Never Happen ;)

Edit: i Even Registerd to Post this, Sorry 4 Bad writing my iPhone trys to Write german

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I've recently purchased:
MacBook for my mother
MacBook Pro for my wife
MacBook Air for me
Mac Mini for my daughter

So I'm safely "in the camp". But I can't stand the iMac. I think Apple could deliver the same quality and performance in a much less expensive package. I've never been an iMac fan.

I bought my first Mac in 1987. I always thought the purpose was that Macs were better -- the OS was better, the experience better, and it made you more productive.

But these machines seem like jewelry. A Dell or HP with this hardware would be $600. The $1,300 computer with 21" screen and the $1,600, 13" laptop are too much.

I don't mind paying Apple a premium. I see the value in paying $329 for iPad Mini vs $199 for an Android tablet, but i feel that the iMac prices are insulting, and I appreciate quality, but I don't really care about the diffraction scatter laser welding, or whatever it is.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's kinda funny to see now that the iMac is out.. Most of what is left in these threads are the ranters, trollers and moaners that never gets happy. What's different this time around with the iMac??? What exactly did you expect? A sudden transformation to a bulky cheap desktop with loads of weird stuff in it? The machine is exactly what people had hoped for earlier. USB3, better gpu and better CPU, new thinner design and breakthrough screen technology and ssd. And since its apple, as always, it doesn't come cheap. BIG SURPRISE!!! If you didn't wait for this then you have really wasted your time. This is what everyone has been talking about and it's pretty much everything that's been on most people's wanted list. So I say with this, time for me as well to disappear. Looking all these threads now is just a waste of time. The new iMac is finally revealed, it was much more than I thought it would be. All that is left here are nagging brats that always have to complain about everything. Cya in 3 years or so, when I'm waiting for another iMac an need someone to share the pain with ;)
Nice post agreed, im stoked for it it'll be my first Mac :D:apple:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
i agree 100%, but again, many people are just trolling. And some people will never be happy. Because they have unrealistic hopes

A saw a guy in here that wanted a retina mbp with sli gtx680mx a 3d screen and 120hz.

Some people are just wishful thinking or just being plain stupid. A bit of both i suppose.

what is so stupid about wanting apple not to downgrade entry model? 2.5 slow hdd?? come on

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I hate the Apple stinginess. For $2000 standard hi end 27" you get a lot less than last year's model. If you want GTX680MX, most likely you need to order a BTO machine. Really?

Thinner unibody, completely locked on 21.5", unnecessarily 8 pounds lighter, no SuperDrive, and you pay the same dollars for it.

I bet the next gen 27" would have the RAM soldered too. :eek:

So. What's not to hate?

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I hate the Apple stinginess. For $2000 standard hi end 27" you get a lot less than last year's model. If you want GTX680MX, most likely you need to order a BTO machine. Really?

Thinner unibody, completely locked on 21.5", unnecessarily 8 pounds lighter, no SuperDrive, and you pay the same dollars for it.

I bet the next gen 27" would have the RAM soldered too. :eek:

So. What's not to hate?

Well, two out of those three are assumptions. You might be right, but at the moment you're hating something because of things you think might happen.

EDarkness

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Japan
The 21 iMac is not, and never was, a gaming machine. Any dedicated gamer knows that this isn't the right choice. And for casual gaming, a GT 640M isn't bad.

The Mac Mini isn't a gaming machine, the iMac isn't a gaming machine, then what Mac actually IS a gaming machine?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Why do you say you're getting less? Compared to last years

i5-3470 - faster
GTX 675MX - faster
1 GB GDDR5 VRAM - same
1 TB 7200 RPM - same
Standard RAM - 8 GB 1600 MHz - MORE and faster

Where does the "less" come in? The removal of the unnecessary optical drive? The worst part is that some people will actually believe you and continue with the dramatical lamenting all over this forum. It's getting old and tiresome.

:confused:

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK

Not the same price. In the UK it is £100 more than last year.

The 5400rpm 2.5" HD is where my hate is fuelled though.

Tech at the expense of thinner and lighter. I'll view it from the side maybe once a year and pick it up once every two years. Come on Apple, lol. What's next? Chocolate fireguards?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.