Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
You will always get folk that moan about change. Sometimes some of their comments do make sense, but for most it's just the chance to moan.

I am so pleased that Apple have at last confirmed the new iMacs. I have been waiting for a top end 27" BTO so I am not at all disappointed. Yes, I did wonder about Apple's obsession with making things slimmer but at the end of the day they have fitted all that I was after in the chassis such better CPU, bang up to date GPU option with 2GB, user upgradeable Ram to 32GB, 3TB Fusion drive, USB 3.0. They have also managed to improve the display which was not something that was bothering me, but will be something that I will appreciate once I get the machine. I don't yet know the costs of my specific 27" BTO but reckon it won't be far from what I estimated and have put aside.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to go in and order it right now for December delivery, but at least they have announced it. I would rather that, than they waited till it was actually ready before they announced it. WIth a bit of luck I will have it for Xmas :)

James twinli

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Because there is nothing new in updated Imac. it is always same. Users always hops for some positive changes in it.

TopB

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
I think what we forget is Apple like any business produces a product that they feel will sell to the most people and produce a maximum profit for them.

They do not make a product or so many variations of a product in an attempt to appeal to everyone. (Like Dell or HP etc.)

All we can do is vote with our wallets.

I will wait to see how much it will cost for the IMac equipped the way I want it is, and if I don't like that cost, I will have to decide what to do at that point.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
You will always get folk that moan about change. Sometimes some of their comments do make sense, but for most it's just the chance to moan.

I am so pleased that Apple have at last confirmed the new iMacs. I have been waiting for a top end 27" BTO so I am not at all disappointed. Yes, I did wonder about Apple's obsession with making things slimmer but at the end of the day they have fitted all that I was after in the chassis such better CPU, bang up to date GPU option with 2GB, user upgradeable Ram to 32GB, 3TB Fusion drive, USB 3.0. They have also managed to improve the display which was not something that was bothering me, but will be something that I will appreciate once I get the machine. I don't yet know the costs of my specific 27" BTO but reckon it won't be far from what I estimated and have put aside.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to go in and order it right now for December delivery, but at least they have announced it. I would rather that, than they waited till it was actually ready before they announced it. WIth a bit of luck I will have it for Xmas :)

WRONG. What about the 21.5''?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
WRONG. What about the 21.5''?

The 21" is for people who don't own screwdrivers. Or at least, care to use them on a computer. That's a much larger population than you expect.

BTW the RAM on that should be as user-upgradable as the HDD; we'll know how easy it is to take apart soon enough. Given that the stock is 8 and it only goes to 16, it's really not that big a deal..

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
The 21" is for people who don't own screwdrivers. Or at least, care to use them on a computer. That's a much larger population than you expect.

BTW the RAM on that should be as user-upgradable as the HDD; we'll know how easy it is to take apart soon enough. Given that the stock is 8 and it only goes to 16, it's really not that big a deal..

I'm getting the 21'' because the 27'' is WAY to big for me and I'm not rich either :) !

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Well I own a mid 2011 iMac which I'm very fond of. I don't hate the new iMac in the slightest, though I don't consider it to be much of a leap forward, either aesthetics wise or spec wise over my model. What it has made me do though is think seriously about getting a Mini next time around along with an IPS display. I think the new Mini paired with a display might prove a better solution given the specs of both machines. That is my genuine first thoughts though I may change my view with time.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Because there is nothing new in updated Imac. it is always same. Users always hops for some positive changes in it.

Nothing new? :confused: I think you are quite mistaken. Try watching the keynote again, it's up on the podcasts for download by now. Or look at the specs and consider them versus the previous models. For me, there's enough "new" in this iteration of iMac that I'm almost tempted to get one, and I have not bothered with a desktop machine in decades.

Yes, I am in the category of people uninclined to modify their machines. Nothing wrong with buying ready-to-use general purpose computers. To me, being able to open the box and plug it in and turn it on is good. That's what I did with my Mac512k back in 1985, and yeah, Apple stuff just worked back then too. :cool:

I still don't like the idea of having to go where my data is, since I'm so long used to laptops and now the iDevices, but this iMac shapes up to be a very wonderful general computing machine indeed. I could really go for one in my studio. That display is fabulous and I like the idea of the OS automatically sorting high-usage stuff onto the flash portion of the fusion drive.

The power grid around here has some issues :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( from time to time. It's rural and the wires are prone to downing by trees. Losing AC power on a running desktop machine isn't going to fly well. So if I got an iMac, I'd have to invest in an uninterruptible power supply as well, yet another budget consideration. But again, I'm almost tempted to go for it, I was that impressed by the specs on the new iMacs. The reduction in weight is impressive to me too. It may be a desktop but it's nice not to have to hire a crane to move the thing.

Anyway for me, the war of the iPad vs iPad mini is still being waged in my budget crunch, so no room there for the iMac right now. Still, it has definitely moved off the way-way-back burner with this refresh. Maybe the 2013 budget needs a few tweaks... :D

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
My current 27" iMac will be 3 years old in December, will probably offload it and get a new 27" but with the 2GB Gfx card. The 2009 i5 plays WoW and Diablo 3 along with a load of games on Steam fine so the new one is going to be silky smooth.

:)

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
You get a thinner, lighter more sexy machine for almost the same price +-

Also, a cpu upgrade and a huge gpu upgrade from previous models.

Sign me up.

People will never be satisfied and its stupid.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I am 27 2011 imac owner and I was please to see that it wasn't retina. It does look real good however(minus some upgradability on hdd most likely).

It would look superb in stylish home office or as part of living room setup. It should be awesome. Congrat whoever is getting it. For me, I will be sticking w/ my 2011 imac for a while.(I love this machine!!!!)

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
For me:
- entry iMac got only 5400 rpm and it is not upgradable (not even to fussion)
- 21,5 probably has no option for 7200 rpm
- GPU upgrade for entry model sucks
- 21.5 - not user upgradable memory

and finally, price change here in Europe - now entry imac is not better machine than the 2011 entry, but it costs much more...

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
For me:
- entry iMac got only 5400 rpm and it is not upgradable (not even to fussion)
- 21,5 probably has no option for 7200 rpm
- GPU upgrade for entry model sucks
- 21.5 - not user upgradable memory

and finally, price change here in Europe - now entry imac is not better machine than the 2011 entry, but it costs much more...

why dont you get a PC you've been complaining about the same things all the time, get a PC you can put together any components you want

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
why dont you get a PC you've been complaining about the same things all the time, get a PC you can put together any components you want

because I am mac user? because I am using all those iOS devices? WTF is going on on this forum, why should I ever think about going windows? I understand fanboys see everything apple does great, but please, we are not all so blind...

zoffdino

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
There are people who bitch about every generation of the iMac:

G3: no floppy drive (ha, take that, optical drive!)
G4: too expensive (due to the new LCD screen)
G5: height not adjustable, no port at front
Intel iMac: hard to reach the internal, can't replace hard drive, etc.

And guess what... each generation sold millions. I can't remember a Mac that Steve Jobs made which had generous expandability, going all the way back to the original Macintosh in 1984. The PowerMac/Mac Pro was the exception in the entire Mac line.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
because I am mac user? because I am using all those iOS devices? WTF is going on on this forum, why should I ever think about going windows? I understand fanboys see everything apple does great, but please, we are not all so blind...

drop this fan boy BS, you're going apesht because Apple didn't squeeze in 10% more performance for less money besides that we don't know how well the machines run, they are totally re engineered...have you seen old iMac internals and new? the machines probably work great and don't even need the things you complaining about

kmria

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I very strongly dislike the removal of optical drive from the desktop machine. And also very strongly believe that my desktop don't HAVE to be so slim.

That said, I don't hate new iMac and people like me who need CD drive need to understand that out of 14% sale that mac generates for Apple we (Optical drive users) are minority. I think any company will launch their product to make money and not to please EVERYONE.

I Love my iMac (2011) and If I have to buy another one next year, I will still be buying iMac (or Mac pro if I win a lottery). There is nothing better out their. :cool:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
drop this fan boy BS, you're going ape**** because Apple didn't squeeze in 10% more performance for less money besides that we don't know how well the machines run, they are totally re engineered...have you seen old iMac internals and new? the machines probably work great and don't even need the things you complaining about

oh cmon, if you read my other posts, generaly iMac 2012 is great piece of HW, but what apple did with entry model ist, that they put in ****** 5400 rpm disk and gave u no option to do anything about it... so you must pay premium for more expensive imac just to upgrade hdd - and that is all for much higher price than previous generation - this is simply marketing move, no problems with engineering... and that is what I am bitching around

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
You get a thinner, lighter more sexy machine for almost the same price +-

Also, a cpu upgrade and a huge gpu upgrade from previous models.

Sign me up.

People will never be satisfied and its stupid.

Hmm! do you know I always tend to look at the front of my iMac when using it ;) so not sure that the thinner lighter or sexier argument really flies. Sit at your desk, turn on a 2011 and 2012 model and would you really see the difference? Looking at the pictures of the new model I would say not.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Hmm! do you know I always tend to look at the front of my iMac when using it ;) so not sure that the thinner lighter or sexier argument really flies. Sit at your desk, turn on a 2011 and 2012 model and would you really see the difference? Looking at the pictures of the new model I would say not.

Your right, but the times i go to the kitchen to get a cup of cofee and come back, i can look at the sides, and think of have sexy it is.

But seriously, you are right ofcourse. That doesnt take away that its super sexy.

You can have same argument for TV's. Since you infront of it. But those always get thinner and thinner and thinner. And people seem to like it

----------

oh cmon, if you read my other posts, generaly iMac 2012 is great piece of HW, but what apple did with entry model ist, that they put in ****** 5400 rpm disk and gave u no option to do anything about it... so you must pay premium for more expensive imac just to upgrade hdd - and that is all for much higher price than previous generation - this is simply marketing move, no problems with engineering... and that is what I am bitching around
I get it that your experienced with engineering then?

You sure it has nothing to do with it only have a 2,5" hdd bay in the 21" model.

Also dont buy the 21" model, go big or go home

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Your right, but the times i go to the kitchen to get a cup of cofee and come back, i can look at the sides, and think of have sexy it is.

But seriously, you are right ofcourse. That doesnt take away that its super sexy.

You can have same argument for TV's. Since you infront of it. But those always get thinner and thinner and thinner. And people seem to like it

----------

I get it that your experienced with engineering then?

You sure it has nothing to do with it only have a 2,5" hdd bay in the 21" model.

Also dont buy the 21" model, go big or go home

Either you did not understand or my writing wasnt good enough - I meant that there is no reason to block upgrade for fusion in entry model, as the more expensive 21,5 allows this upgrade...
Yes, great, to get HDD that should be standard in 2012 I have to pay for 27incher:D

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Why are you using this forum?

As explained in my post above, I still use Macs, I just don't purchase them from Apple. I buy used, not new. I've found used Macs to be a much better deal (if you don't need the latest features) and it solved my complaining about Apple problem.

In my case the problem was that I didn't enjoy doing business with Apple, and eventually I finally figured out the solution to that might be to not do business with Apple. Duh... Yes, bit of a slow learner. :)

As example, you can buy 3 or 4 used Macs for the price of one new Mac. So if something goes wrong, there's much less at stake. You can simply toss the Mac with a problem and fire up the next one, and still come out way ahead money-wise. Thus, I reasoned that dollar for dollar, used Macs are actually more reliable, not less as I'd originally assumed.

What my experience showed me was that the chances of getting a lemon were about the same for new or used Macs. It's a crap shoot either way. Once I understood this, it removed the main reason I had for buying new.

I believe buying used is a pretty good strategy for the majority of users, who are using their macs mostly to check email and browse the web etc. It's obviously not a good strategy for those doing high end professional work that depends on high speed processing etc.

Imho, Apple essentially agrees with my take on this in the sense that they realize that for most folks, ever more powerful computers are kind of pointless, given what most users want to do with their Macs. Thus, we've seen Apple march full speed ahead in to mobile devices, a more promising market than desktop Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.