Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spasticapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
So where is iTunes 11?

where is iTunes 11?

Itunes 11 where?

So where is iTunes 11?.

11 is where iTunes?

Seriously, add me in on wanting it as well. Getting pretty tired of iTunes 10 popping up at me with a message about my library can't be saved, only to find out that someway, somehow, it's using almost 1GB of memory after a while when it's only playing music.

Last edited:

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I'm going to file this under the rare category, of I couldn't care less.

Oh, and where is iTunes 11?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
A Spotify alternative would be a much better idea than a Pandora alternative.

I'd rather have something like Rhapsody, but really it is the same thing. I just think Spotify's desktop app and music discovery features stink compared to their competition.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
My heart nearly stopped when I saw "First Quarter 2013" and the iTunes logo, thinking iTunes 11 was officially delayed for a second.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
If they did push it back, do you think the 'Coming in October' banner would still be up on the teaser page?

You sure as heck bet I would think that. How many times has Apple ran out of stock on a product while keeping a "ships in 24 hours" logo under the price?

Lots.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
You sure as heck bet I would think that. How many times has Apple ran out of stock on a product while keeping a "ships in 24 hours" logo under the price?

Lots.

Based on one post in a forum though?

Apple never said what year iTunes 11 will be released so I guess it's coming October 2013. :rolleyes:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
When will Apple release a less bloated version of iTunes? Not all of us have a need for ipod, iphone, ipad, etc. integration.

A simple mp3 player with a library and nothing more would be great as taking up to 200mb of RAM for a simple task of playing an mp3 is unacceptable.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
How about???

How about fixing iTunes Match (especially on the iPhone) before you start another service???

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
first world problems.

Just about everything posted on this website is a "first world problem". It's sort of pointless to point that out..

As to the topic at hand - Apple should just leave content services to 3rd parties. It's not their strength. Between Spotify, Pandora, Rdio and many others - the world does not need another music steaming services.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Alright, I laughed at that, lol. That was pretty good! :D

Someone in another thread got this email:

Just got this by email:
iTunes Connect will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Thursday, October 25 from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Pacific).

During this time, iTunes Connect will still be available. However, pricing changes made, or scheduled to go live, between 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Pacific) will not be reflected on the App Store and your app will become unavailable for purchase for the duration of the maintenance period. When maintenance is complete, your app will become available. To avoid interruptions to the availability of your apps, we recommend that you do not make any app price changes during this time.

Regards,

The App Store team

Could be related as they roll out iTunes 11 as they wouldn't want anything going wonky on the store side.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
does the iPad Mini require iTunes 11? i cant find anything about it on the product page and why hasnt there been a beta? thats so strange

--

id rather see something like spotify, i cant deal with those "radio" things, they never play what i want and i just keep hitting the next button :D

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
iAd is the key

[...] Advertising is said to be a central issue in the negotiations, with Apple seeing the service as a way to strengthen its iAd offerings while music labels are seeking a share of that ad revenue and the ability to insert their own advertising into listeners' streams. [...]

Bingo. If this works, and music labels make money from iAd revenue, Apple can turn around and say "Hey, TV industry. Want some of this?"

I've always thought that iAd was created for TV from day one. That first Nissan Leaf iAd looked good enough for HDTV. Of course, the TV industry is full of deeply entrenched players. Many of whom will fight tooth and nail against being crushed by Apple. Who wouldn't?

So if Apple ever makes a major move at the TV industry, it will require either 1) rampant copying of content, like happened in the music industry with MP3s, or 2) significant revenue from iAd that the studios would otherwise be missing out on, or 3) some combination of both 1 and 2.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Thank God. Pandora sucks. Same 20 songs over and over and over and over and over and over. I much prefer Jango as it exposes me to indie bands I wouldn't otherwise have heard.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
does the iPad Mini require iTunes 11? i cant find anything about it on the product page and why hasnt there been a beta? thats so strange

--

id rather see something like spotify, i cant deal with those "radio" things, they never play what i want and i just keep hitting the next button :D

I'm guess there isn't support in iTunes yet which means there needs to be an update anywhere between now and November 2nd. Lines up perfectly with "late October" if you ask me. ;)

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
This service will be all about user interface and it needs to be executed extremely well..

Last edited:

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Hopefully

This kind of action will proceed to free televison shows on iTunes, either streamed or for purchace. The current model is generating limited success because the public is really tired of paying for television that is crap

I think the one thing that is blocking real television from coming to iTunes and Apple TV is that there isn't a decent revenue model and advertising, as much as people may dislike it, makes television shows affordable as well as having created a whole industry that has successfully fed many other industries as well.

No one was giving that up without a fight, and as it turned out, that is a fight Apple is losing. Even if you could choose only from shows that are currently available, it would be a giant leap better than cable and sattellite subscriptions. Part of the beauty, of streaming is the lack of control that the viewer has. Now they could also offer a model where the viewer pays and gets tv with out ads or a mixture that would act like the movie rental,

But in the end, entertainment costs money and consumers are not able or willing to bear the brunt of that expense, of course you are, but I am certainly not.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I was looking forward to iTunes 11 also, until I remembered that I don't need, want, or use iTunes anymore. iCloud and iTunes Match is where it's at.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
iAds, right. Because they've done so well in apps.

Suspending reality for a moment and assuming Apple does gangbusters with iAds on this hypothetical streaming music service, my main concern is how indie artists would benefit from this arrangement. They're making no money on Spotify, so I'm not sure how this will benefit anyone but the major labels. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Another question is whether artists will be forced to have their music on the streaming service if they choose to sell through iTunes.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Music is cheap, I don't need yet another music subscription service considering there are plenty of "legit" ways to get free music, stemming back to the good old radio. If you can just let go of the need to "control" music, I rather enjoy listening to randomly offered music from radio and internet streaming, it exposes me to more content than always picking the stuff I already listen to, I have an iPod for that.

I'm 100% with you on this one.

....I'd rather like to see Apple offer their own subscription services for TV shows and bypass cable monopolies.

Wonder how things are going behind the scenes on this. As long as APPLE would implement a more user friendly subscription service or an a-la-carte menu, I'm looking forward to those greedy cable companies~middlemen effectively~being relegated to the role of supplying us with reliable, hi-speed internet service, after which they will undoubtedly gouge us with their bandwidth charges. Can we ever really win?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.