Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Seriously? You don't know why Apple can't magically manufacture enough units to meet initial launch demand? Leaving aside all the practical problems (component supply, overall production capacity of the manufacturer(s), massive amount of inventory sitting in boxes rather than being sold, initial production / process issues etc) they'd likely have to ramp up to a higher production level than they'd need going forward which is incredibly wasteful (not to mention stupid).

Oh and your example has a slight flaw: it assumes that your customers wouldn't pay more for one of the 10" iPads. Certainly your typical best buy employee would be more likely to try and push them to the more expensive purchase...

Someone mentioned it's not as big a launch as the iPhone 5 but surely that's to be expected. This is a new product after all and you just don't launch a new product with the sort of production volumes you do for an established product that dominates its market.
What could be more "incredibly...stupid" than to not meet demand of a hot product when there are a plethora of competitors also vying for a share in the market?

The new 10" iPad was also updated, and if Apple keeps an October cycle for it, the next redesign or new component(not in iPhone already) will cause a similar shortage, so the analogy stands.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Apple never ran out of anything while Steve was there.

On the other hand, they have changed the size of every product already. Now, where is the innovation again?

I hope you're kidding. If not, God help you.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

On the other hand, they have changed the size of every product already. Now, where is the innovation again?

iPhone 3G supply was constrained, as were the iPhone 4 and 4s. You are talking nonsense. This all also happened during Steve's management.

With regards to Innovation. Apple introduced several innovations or new functions in the event. They might not be the innovations that you specifically would like but nevertheless they are innovations / new functionalities. Which ones you might ask? The following:

• Bonded touchscreen and LCD panel
  • Fusion drive
  • USB3 in mac mini
  • Better built Retina MBP (repairability)

srchurchill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
I ordered iPad Mini - White 16GB Wi-Fi only this morning at about 9.45 local time (Paris). The site said delivery 2 weeks then, but I went ahead. When I received the confirmation email, I followed the instructions to check the status of the order, and expected delivery date, which then informed me that I should expect delivery on the 20th November!! Thats a lot longer than 2 weeks!!

Anyway, cancelled that order and switched to a Black 16GB Wi-Fi only and now have expected delivery of 2 Nov :)

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

I disagree with Apples attitude on a few matters, however big leaps in innovation cannot happen every year, changing just for the sake of changing a design does not always make sense. Some years are going to be spec jumps, this year seems to be doing well in the sense they updated just about everything.

People really do expect a lot from Apple at all times.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I don't know why they can never make enough. Secrecy is already out the window, so there's presumably no disadvantage to ramping up production early to make enough.

I think production capacity is a real issue for Apple. They are still ramping up production of 10" iPads, iPhone 5s and now also 7" ipad. These devices are all competing for the same type of production lines of which there are a limited amount on the planet. They are probably building more, but cannot keep up.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
What could be more "incredibly...stupid" than to not meet demand of a hot product when there are a plethora of competitors also vying for a share in the market?

The new 10" iPad was also updated, and if Apple keeps an October cycle for it, the next redesign or new component(not in iPhone already) will cause a similar shortage, so the analogy stands.

Guess what, product shortages are a pretty desirable thing. Tons of companies fabricate fake sellouts to make their product seem hot (Apple surely has done it on occasion). First of all, they have no inventory, and can sell as quick as they can produce them. Second, it drives demand higher. Hence the high resale prices for new Apple product launches.

If demand exceeds supply because they simply suck at manufacturing, that's a different thing. But when Apple is able to manufacture millions on day one for a brand new product with a new manufacturing process, that hardly signals incompetence in their supply chain.

Your logic fails in almost every regard. You think someone will just give up immediately because they couldn't walk into a store the first time and buy one. If its a kid, it will just make him want one even more. If its an adult, most adults have patience and will simply wait. I highly doubt a person who is lusting for an iPad, will immediately give up and just say "eh let's get a kindle instead." The public has already become accustomed to Apple products being hot items that sell out quick. This happens every year, which is why you will see lines on launch day. You're acting like the public will be completely oblivious and expect stores to be packed with them.

Last edited:

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
LOL @ people spinning it being sold out as bad for apple.

But then, I knew they would, I just wanted to see how they were going to try and do it!

The real controversy is this: How is it possible that white sold out before black?

I think Apple must make much fewer white ones, because everyone prefers the black ones, right? I mean, it goes without saying that they're more styling.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
As of 6:48 p.m. here in Japan (2:48 a.m. in Cupertino), the 64GB white iPad mini is still available for delivery on Nov. 2. However, the 16GB and 32GB are now two weeks out.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I ordered iPad Mini - White 16GB Wi-Fi only this morning at about 9.45 local time (Paris). The site said delivery 2 weeks then, but I went ahead. When I received the confirmation email, I followed the instructions to check the status of the order, and expected delivery date, which then informed me that I should expect delivery on the 20th November!! Thats a lot longer than 2 weeks!!

Anyway, cancelled that order and switched to a Black 16GB Wi-Fi only and now have expected delivery of 2 Nov :)

The 16GB Wifi (Black) is already delayed 2 weeks here (UK). I ordered it and it stated expected delivery 16 November, so I cancelled my order. I figure I'll walk into a store somewhere in the London area and find one before the 16th.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This is what Apple is thinking: We didn't even have to price it at lower than $300 for it to sell out in 17 minutes. We win!

Lol. I sold my iPad 3 and got one in black. This screen better not be too pixelated. ��

Damn are u going to be disappointed losing the retina screen. And you can spin it all you want but you just downgraded

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
iPhone 3G supply was constrained, as were the iPhone 4 and 4s. You are talking nonsense. This all also happened during Steve's management.

With regards to Innovation. Apple introduced several innovations or new functions in the event. They might not be the innovations that you specifically would like but nevertheless they are innovations / new functionalities. Which ones you might ask? The following:

• Fusion drive
  • USB3 in mac mini

Function is not innovation.

The screen are greats, but seriously adding USB3.0 to the mini is not innovation? Fusion is not an Apple innovation. It's rebranded hybrid drive. The only thing fancy is the hedious logo they are using.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Seems like there are plenty of black ones left though. Definitely not as big a launch as the iP5, even if they have more stock.

I don't think anyone expected anything like an iPhone launch. No other product that Apple sells will have that type of launch.

What happened to "this is too expensive, buying a Nexus 7 instead" :rolleyes:

They checked out the apps available for the Nexus compared to the iPad. That was one of the biggest reason I got rid of my Android tablet and vowed to never go back. Very few true tablet applications and way too may phone applications that suck and look ridiculous on the bigger screen. Then again, that was 8 months ago. Maybe things changed.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012

Much as I prefer the Slate finish, I wouldn't want to have to constantly worry about scratching the back. It's bad enough having to be so overprotective of my iPhone 5.

No doubt the next gen iPad will follow the same form factor, albeit larger of course.

apmos

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
ordered 2 white in the UK 2 minutes after pre-orders started (08:02)... two weeks delivery also!

Guess apple kept all the stock of white ones in the US for now

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Never in doubt that we get conspiracy theories that Apple is purposely constraining supply so they can show it "sold out" on their website. I suppose these people think Microsoft did the same with the 32GB Surface? :rolleyes:

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Usb 3

• Fusion drive
  • USB3 in mac mini

I hope this is not where we are going - counting an USB3 port an innovation in late 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.