Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #101
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHarrryH View Post
I think the shortage is a politcal trick of (pick your party) in an attempt to influence the election.
I'm an analyst, lawyer and weather forecaster - got it all covered.
You forgot mystic and soothsayer.... or, are those all the same thing?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:47 AM   #102
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
OK then. Now I get the sarcasm, but it was a little too believable, given some of the posts on this site, so understand why I jumped. A sarc tag would have be helpful to the less observant like myself, esp in the AM.
perhaps you right, but isn't the comment "great story man" ironic enough?

Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 AM   #103
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinticinco View Post
And yet I'll still be able to casually saunter into an Apple Store on Nov 2, not queue and pick one up as if I'm buying a loaf of bread.
Yep. Saunter right up to a massive line and possibly not get one. Happy sauntering.
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 AM   #104
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post
Could you sound like any more of a douchebag? It's a damn tablet. No need for all this 'us' vs 'them' rubbish.
Sorry maybe I went a bit overboard but it's just a great day for our team. Another successful product launch that demonstrates we're still winning by a wide margin. Huge numbers of pre-orders, incredible profits to follow, and technology that is so remarkable some people can't believe it's real.

Last edited by dejo; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Restoring damaged post.
314631 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 AM   #105
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobybiggs View Post
Also, what is this cellular model mini will be out in mid november? Who the hell would want to hold that to their head to call someone?
Internet access when there is no WiFi nearby. Safari works without holding the iPad Mini to your ear, actually it works better because you can look at the screen.

And it's not _that_ much bigger than these phones that Samsung is selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Function is not innovation.

The screen are greats, but seriously adding USB3.0 to the mini is not innovation? Fusion is not an Apple innovation. It's rebranded hybrid drive. The only thing fancy is the hedious logo they are using.
Bit confused here. Clearly adding USB 3.0 is a welcome improvement, but not innovation. Retina display on the 15" was innovation, on the 13" it's not. It can only be innovation once. Still a welcome improvement.

Fusion on a desktop machine _is_ innovation. It is _not_ a rebranded hybrid drive. It works completely differently. Now the principle "take some small, fast storage and combine with some slow, big storage and make it appear as if it was big and fast storage", that is very old, but what Fusion does was previously only available in data centres at huge cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
What could be more "incredibly...stupid" than to not meet demand of a hot product when there are a plethora of competitors also vying for a share in the market?
Many potential buyers who said "Apple doesn't sell a 7" tablet but I want one, so I buy some other product" are now saying "Apple sells a 7" tablet but there's a waiting list, so I wait". Maybe not all, but many. And people make decisions in strange ways. Some people will now say "Apple sells a 7" tablet that I want, but there's a waiting list, and I don't want to wait, so I buy a 10" iPad right now". It isn't an entirely rational thing to do, but some people do.

Last edited by gnasher729; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
gnasher729 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #106
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
This was the risk of releasing it so close to the holidays. It was a bit short-sided, IMO to release a new product at this time.

Do you really think nobody there thought about something as stupid as that??? Who is that run a multibillion company you or them?
Please…
nexusrule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:54 AM   #107
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Safari works without holding the iPad Mini to your ear, actually it works better because you can look at the screen.
Hahaha....
D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:56 AM   #108
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This was the risk of releasing it so close to the holidays. It was a bit short-sided, IMO to release a new product at this time.
Short-sided? What the heck does that mean? Is it a reference to the smaller side bezels?
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:00 AM   #109
convergent
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wedge View Post
You forgot to add them returning it on Dec. 26.
Right... after little Johnny opens his present all excited and then becomes horrified when he learns that his parents bought some off brand thing. Then his parents get mad at Johnny because he's ungrateful for the gift they bought, and take back all his presents. Johnny is then ostracized by his friends at Main St. Middle School because he's the only kid without a tablet, and he is so distraught that he takes to using drugs. Shortly later, he drops out of school.

So if you don't want to have your kids drop out of school as drug addicts, buy them an iPad instead of some off brand Android tablet!

(sorry, seen to many strange Time Warner commercials and not enough coffee yet this morning)

By the way, I got up at 3:00am and completed my purchase of a 16G black iPad Mini at 3:03am EST. I guess I should have bought a white one, because the black one I could have ordered now with no problem.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:01 AM   #110
NewYorkRanger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Truly remarkable. Apple once again destroys the competition with jaw-dropping pre-orders. Absolutely astonishing Apple sold out in less than an hour for a product the fandroids said was average and ridiculously overpriced.
Dear lord, this post is absolutely embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Sorry maybe I went a bit overboard but it's just a great day for our team. Another successful product launch that demonstrates we're still winning by a wide margin. Huge numbers of pre-orders, incredible profits to follow, and technology that is so remarkable some people can't believe it's real.
If you don't actually work for Apple, you just double downed on being a douche.
NewYorkRanger is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:03 AM   #111
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
This was the risk of releasing it so close to the holidays.
What risk? Things happened the way any company wants them to happen with a new product. SOLD OUT. Production is actually limited to achieve this very result.

Quote:
It was a bit short-sided, IMO to release a new product at this time.
Since when is it ever too early for a company to take your money?
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:06 AM   #112
vomer
macrumors member

I finished my order around 3:08 AM and it still said 2 weeks at that time ... maybe they are gauging the orders before offering dates.
vomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:07 AM   #113
kicko
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgeek View Post
The real controversy is this: How is it possible that white sold out before black?

is not hard to assume people dont want a nice black mini getting all scratched, thats why.
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:08 AM   #114
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Apple once again fail to supply enough product even without jaw-dropping pre-orders.
Don't know why I'm taking the bait, but… how do you know the size of either the initial supply or the number of pre-orders?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:10 AM   #115
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Damn are u going to be disappointed losing the retina screen. And you can spin it all you want but you just downgraded
Nope, I won't. The early reviews said the screen looked fine. I doubt the screen will be horrible looking, plus I never game on my iPad. Only browse and watch Netflix.
nfl46 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:10 AM   #116
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Since when is it ever too early for a company to take your money?
Exactly. Next Apple CEO ^
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:13 AM   #117
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502a

Well, I pulled the trigger. Pre-ordered the white 64gig AT&T cellular model. First time I ever ordered an Apple product without seeing it in person first.

I am still using my first gen iPad with an unlimited data plan from AT&T. Gonna transfer the plan to the iPad mini since I am grandfathered in.

I just think the size of the mini will be perfect for me since I travel ALOT. I plan to shoot and edit travel videos and pictures with it, as well as blog. So the mini was a no brainer.

Anyway....can't wait till mid November. Hope it arrives by my birthday Nov 22nd ;-)
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:14 AM   #118
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Hm. I preordered a white one this morning... never went for the white version of any iGadget before but this time it felt like the natural choice.
Must be that damn piano duet ad manipulating me from my subconscious. Curse you, cute advertising, curse you back to the 7th layer of hell!
Anuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:14 AM   #119
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by srchurchill View Post
I ordered iPad Mini - White 16GB Wi-Fi only this morning at about 9.45 local time (Paris). The site said delivery 2 weeks then, but I went ahead. When I received the confirmation email, I followed the instructions to check the status of the order, and expected delivery date, which then informed me that I should expect delivery on the 20th November!! Thats a lot longer than 2 weeks!!

Anyway, cancelled that order and switched to a Black 16GB Wi-Fi only and now have expected delivery of 2 Nov
Wow. Been waiting for this device for months, perhaps years. But you'd rather have it in the color you didn't choose first than wait an extra six days. Pretty unbelievable.
rdlink is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:15 AM   #120
ds2000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
Dear lord, this post is absolutely embarrassing.

If you don't actually work for Apple, you just double downed on being a douche.
^ this 100%
ds2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #121
campingsk8er
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinticinco View Post
And yet I'll still be able to casually saunter into an Apple Store on Nov 2, not queue and pick one up as if I'm buying a loaf of bread.
My guess is that you've never tried to buy a loaf of bread before a snowstorm
campingsk8er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:20 AM   #122
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

So annoyed that Irish Apple Store was meant to start pre-orders at 2pm and so far nothing!! I'm refreshing like mad...
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:22 AM   #123
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68020

I remember the asians thinking they were going to scalp the iPad 3 only to have to return it later on because they couldnt sell it for a profit like they had in the past. My guess is that you wont see launch day lines at all.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:23 AM   #124
jphealy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
So annoyed that Irish Apple Store was meant to start pre-orders at 2pm and so far nothing!! I'm refreshing like mad...
Me TOO!!!

Was surprised that Ireland was getting it day one, but seems maybe they underestimated the demand elsewhere. Doesn't seem fair - surely they should have allocated a certain number for each country.
jphealy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:27 AM   #125
kcamfork
macrumors regular

This confirms my fear that people are stupid.
kcamfork is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion