Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansinkhh

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
One US dollar bill = 1g approx

So, Phil should've said "the iPad mini weighs about $312 bucks":D

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
US Letter = 216 × 279

UK / EU = A4 257 × 364

Therefore: a UK pad is heavier than a US one...

Therefore: Who am I kidding, I don't care.... !?!?!

What I do like is they have put in a loaf of bread at 800g..... What if you have a Bread roll... Then Bread is lighter than a mini.

Most pointless article ever.

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
But wait! If i drink from the coke can it gets lighter! And if i toast the bread it gets lighter. Mind you, if i then spread butter on the toast it gets heavier again, so...

Which scientician carried out these tests? They didn't take into account real-world usage.

:confused:

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
If a single sheet of paper were folded in half 50 times, (assuming it was large enough) then it would be about a hundred million miles thick. I find this to be a more interesting fact than whether a pad of paper weighs more or less than a mac mini. But that's the kinda guy I am.

----------

But wait! If i drink from the coke can it gets lighter! And if i toast the bread it gets lighter. Mind you, if i then spread butter on the toast it gets heavier again, so...

Which scientician carried out these tests? They didn't take into account real-world usage.

Also if you get a packet of cigarettes and take one out and throw it away, then the pack magically becomes a cigarette lighter.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Am I the only one who picked up on the fact that the graphic is highly misleading?

Look at where the Kindle needle is and how far down the scale is and then look at where the needle is for the loaf of bread and how low the scale is for that. By my calculations the scale should be 4.76x lower and the need that much farther rotated.

To really show how light the iPad Mini is compared to it's big brother, the iPad 4 should be much farther down...not just an incremental step.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't know... I kind of like it when people are held to account for what they say. If they claim it's a certain weight, it should be that weight. If not, then they should get - at least - a gentle ridiculing.

In this case, it seems they're pretty close.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
simples really, it's the old Imperial vs Metric confusion.

You see in dear 'ol USofA, we are still stuck using Foolscap pads of paper, whereas in Blighty and the Union of Europe they use A4 pads. Now any dumb cluck will know that a nice Foolscap pad weighs a lot more than an A4 pad.

Job done, now "Which"....go back to testing fridges and toasters, that's where you shine.:D

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The only way to this properly is weigh every pad of paper they can, 3000-5000 different ones should do, then take the average weight to compare to the mini.

Ive just realised this still wouldn't be good enough as paper is much more sensitive to environmental conditions. They would need to take the pads round the world, weighing them in many different countries and take the average from that too.

honestly the way which have gone about this is terrible, anyone would think its completely unimportant and pointless! Clearly this is a very important issue that needs proper testing.

Last edited:

stevers

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Do people REALLY get paid to do this?

Yep. People also get paid to do something else, and instead complain on the internet about the weight of a pad of paper while probably being paid to do that something else.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
US Letter = 216 × 279

UK / EU = A4 257 × 364

Therefore: a UK pad is heavier than a US one...

Therefore: Who am I kidding, I don't care.... !?!?!

What I do like is they have put in a loaf of bread at 800g..... What if you have a Bread roll... Then Bread is lighter than a mini.

Most pointless article ever.

Well, actually... No. According to http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

US Letter: 216mm × 279mm (60,2640 square mm)
A4: 210mm x 297mm (62,370 square mm)

Now, on a page-for-page basis, all else being equal, that would still make the A4 page heavier. But, the simple fact is that pads come in varying page counts, with 80, 100, 120, 150, and 200 being some of the more common sizes available.

As they said in their review, they weren't using the thickest pad they could find, and their pad didn't have the (metal) spiral binding pictured against the iPad mini for the comparative weight comment. Given the options there, simply going one common page count up and using a spiral-bound pad would more than cover the weight difference.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
2013 headlines forecast: Phil Schiller, now lighter and thinner than last years model!

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Of course I did; but this is irrelevant, as you can't seem to understand my strictly-logical point anyway.

To quote the article...

"So there it is; the iPad mini isn't quite as light as a pad of paper - at least our non-spiraled softback pad. There are certainly pads of paper that are heavier so Phil Schiller's claim that it's as light as a pad of paper is about right."

Nowhere in there does it say the iPad is "lighter" than a pad of paper. There's nothing logical about misquoting your sources.

Merlin1999

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
So let me understand this:

- The pad of paper used in the example weighs 226g;

- the irrelevant iPad Mini weighs 312g;

- therefore, the iPad Mini is "lighter" than a pad of paper?

These guys need some lessons in logic, really...what a pathetic article.

Did you read the article? It clearly states "So there it is; the iPad mini isn’t quite as light as a pad of paper – at least our non-spiraled softback pad."

It is the MacRumors forum that has incorrectly labelled the article as saying 312g is lighter than 226g.

Perhaps the lesson here is read the article before commenting on it.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
OMG, what is wrong with everyone? Seriously...I saw it more as an offhand remark and people are actually going around analyzing all this?

You know what, he also said it was beautiful. Why not get a chart of beautiful items and compare them also. "Oh he CLAIMS this is beautiful! Well, here are several items that are much more beautiful than the iPad mini! How DARE he say this!"

Come on...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ooooh. That's some hard hitting research. Thank you Which! EU cops will take it from here. :rolleyes:

lilgto64

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Ohio
Ugh you beat me to it

Add to that whether or not a dropped iPad always lands screen-side down and you've got some serious scientifical testing to carry out.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Did you read the article? It clearly states "So there it is; the iPad mini isn’t quite as light as a pad of paper – at least our non-spiraled softback pad."

It is the MacRumors forum that has incorrectly labelled the article as saying 312g is lighter than 226g.

Perhaps the lesson here is read the article before commenting on it.

The article was posted by MacRumors (commenting on someone else's already-flawed considerations) and my logical conclusions were drawn on the basis of the whole thing...is this so hard to understand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.