Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I can't decide between Red and White. The red just looks so fun, but white might work better with different colored wallpapers

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Honestly I rather get a black phone with colored cases, because those colors would get old to me and wouldn't look good at business meetings.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
For those people who say they are invested in the Apple EcoSystem...

I escaped from an iPhone/iPad/iMac a year ago. Never looked back! Who cares about money in apps, all the best apps are free!

The Lumia 800 is the slickest phone i've ever used. Windows Phone uses far less resources than iOS, a year on it is no slower and i've updated etc... I wrote down all my iPhone apps and I was able to replace every one with an equivalent (not the games).

Email and calendar on Windows phone is 1000% better than iOS, so business users will probably be happy too. And Nokia Drive is well... Nothing short of amazing for a mobile device!

I have no doubt the Lumia 920 will blow everything away. I have no problem with change like some, I for one, am happy I tried the 800.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
^ use less resources, please explain.

You replaced all your apps? With non updated apps? Have you tried board xpress, the awful tapatalk wannabe app?

I can agree emailing is great on windows phone.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
How am I biased? You asked if I used it, I said yes. I came to my own conclusion and that makes me biased? Lol, screw logic apparently.

Because to say a phone that has sold 10's of millions is a worthless piece of crap has no idea about what makes a good phone or is blinded by fan boyism.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
The way I look at it is, I am still able to maintain my apple ecosystem because I still have my mac, my iPad, and my iPhone will basically become an iPod touch. There are some apps I use all the time on iOS, but I don't need them "on the go" so really just having the iPad will be enough for me.

I'm probably going to keep a line on my iPhone for a while, a new line with the 920, and in the spring I may throw an iPad onto the data plan. I'm eager to try WP8, I have no reservations or fears about leaving one companies ecosystem. All the money I've spent on apps is retained if I ever choose to come back, it's not like a total wash.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because to say a phone that has sold 10's of millions is a worthless piece of crap has no idea about what makes a good phone or is blinded by fan boyism.

Selling millions of units does not mean its not crap. Case to point, Windows ME.
At any point, how does it make me a fanboy? I gave two good options, the Lumia and an iPhone. Want a Android based recommendation from my part? The Droids are much better than Samsung's S.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Selling millions of units not mean its not crap. Case to point, Windows ME.
At any point, how does it make me a fanboy? I gave two good options, the Lumia and an iPhone. Want a Android based recommendation from my part? The Droids are much better than Samsung's S.

Windows ME is a bad comparison. There was no compitition there.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Nope, that was and still is a bad example

Well, up to you. I was asked if I'd ever used the S3, said yes. Didn't like it and performed crap compared to the Lumia I used; for records, when I mean used, I mean 2 weeks.

Lumia trumps the S3, hands down; however, like I said originally, the problem with the Lumia is the anemic amount of apps available.

Bkasm

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Ugh, now they're saying November 11th release. I'm really hoping its earlier than that. Like first week of November. I guess we'll find out Monday for sure.

MonteiroVi

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
These Lumias are the only phones to compete with iPhone 5. Its thickness is perfect to hold in the hand. Those almost flat phones are ridiculous, unproportional and don't fit in your hand. I believe that manufacturers should start paying more attention to weight and ergonomical designs than thickness. Just misses that it doesn't have that much of a processor and RAM. An upgrade would be welcome... But the screen is fine!

Bkasm

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
STILL no release date OR pricing for the Lumia. Wow, color me disappointed.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

I am disappointed in not only that but in WP8. They had nothing secret like they led the press to believe. This was a very lackluster release for them and makes me way more confident in my decision not to choose the Lumia.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I feel the Nokia Lumia 920 is the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone 5 in terms of both aesthetics and performance.

At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and still manages to have the specs, features, performance and UI/OS to keep up.

The main differences are that the iPhone has more/better apps and less bulk (and a slightly better GPU), and the Lumia has a fresher OS and some neat features like a 720p+ screen (better resolution and PPI), better battery life, wireless charging, very advanced optics for their camera and NFC.

Hardware-wise, I don't think this phone comes close to looking as good as the iphone4 or 5. Now the UI...I would agree that it looks very nice and nice to see an iphone competitor putting an OS on their gadgets that actually looks and performs differently than iOS.

Bkasm

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I am disappointed in not only that but in WP8. They had nothing secret like they led the press to believe. This was a very lackluster release for them and makes me way more confident in my decision not to choose the Lumia.

Nah, I'm completely happy with Win8 and everything it has to offer. Every hands-on impression and "reviews" I've read so far have been nothing but positive. Just really disappointed that no set dates were given for the Lumia. I mean, what better place than a freakin' Windows 8 Phone event. NOPE. WRONG. :rolleyes::confused:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Well it isnt the 920 but T-Mobile announced dates and prices for the Lumia they are getting. The 820 will be available on 11/14 and they are also getting the HTC Windows 8X also available on 11/14.

The biggest news is the announcement of the Nexus 4 and will be in the Google Playstore on 11/13 and in TMo stores on 11/14. It will come with JB 4.2. Dont look cheap. They said in the Playstore it will be $299 but im sure that is correct Sounds cheap to me and that should be for the 8GB version.

Tell you what, if it is only $299 for a 8GB and guessing $349 for the 16GB..im getting one unlocked from the Playstore.

Here is the Link to that announcement.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Well it isnt the 920 but T-Mobile announced dates and prices for the Lumia they are getting. The 820 will be available on 11/14 and they are also getting the HTC Windows 8X also available on 11/14.

The biggest news is the announcement of the Nexus 4 and will be in the Google Playstore on 11/13 and in TMo stores on 11/14. It will come with JB 4.2. Dont look cheap. They said in the Playstore it will be $299 but im sure that is correct Sounds cheap to me and that should be for the 8GB version.

Tell you what, if it is only $299 for a 8GB and guessing $349 for the 16GB..im getting one unlocked from the Playstore.

Here is the Link to that announcement.

No need to guess. $349 is official. I. Can't. Wait. :)

Bkasm

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Finally, we know. November 7th pre-order date for AT&T with a November 9th release. Pricing will be $99 and comes with a FREE wireless charging plate. Folks, that is one hell of a deal for this beast of a phone.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Maybe there aren't prices yet because the phone doesn't exist - otherwise why lying about the camera on adverts :p :D

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Finally, we know. November 7th pre-order date for AT&T with a November 9th release. Pricing will be $99 and comes with a FREE wireless charging plate. Folks, that is one hell of a deal for this beast of a phone.

If windows app selection didn't suck so bad I'd consider picking one up.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Again Microsoft dropped the ball here in terms of manufacturing.

They were so, so close to prying many people away from Android/iOS - including me who has owned every iOS product of the last 3/4 years, but they just couldnt get the right design.

Right now if you want to migrate to Win8, you have to choose between the 920 which is inexcusably heavy/bulky, or the HTC 8X which looks great but has terrible battery life.

Hopefully they can figure out their manufacturing problems before the platform dies for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.