Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Hope everyone in the NE area is taking proper precautions. It looks like it is going to be pretty bad with the low from the west meeting up with the Hurricane Sandy.

I know my atmospheric grad program at CSU is pretty much abuzz about it and what may happen

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I'm a few miles from the north shore of Long Island. Kind of nervous to be honest. That said, I have an 8000 watt generator that I back feed from my garage, water pumps just in case my basement springs a leak. It's never happened before, but there's always that first time.

Wish me luck!!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It should miss NC or damn near. Otherwise I'd be here whining like a *****.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Loading the Ipod with podcasts and have a car charger ready to go. A generator to run the sump pump would have been a good idea. I thought about using a UPS, but I don't think it would run more than a few minutes.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
I like the idea of the podcasts...Ill have to load up my idevices with them...

Funny enough, last week even before this became a concern I went out and stocked up on some canned food and filled up my water containers (20 gallons total)...

Wish I had a generator...that was on my to do list for this year but I wasn't able to make it happen.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Here in Northern VA, they're making it sound like it's going to hit us pretty hard, but nothing like Jersey or NY.

Still, went out and got my stuff from the grocery store tonight. Can never be too safe.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
It's been raining here in Wilmington, NC for about 24hrs, but only about 4-5 inches accumulated so far. Gusts are getting up to 40mph. In my neck, this is no big deal. We're used to direct hits. But we're not gettin the Frankenstorm parts...

To those of you in the path, good luck and stay safe. Keep your phone charged and invest in a car charger if you don't have one. Water and food are important, but with no power, tv or Internet things get really boring really fast. :)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This is being hyped up like crazy by the media. You think they would have enough stories with the election coming up that they wouldn't need to pull this crap.

We're going to get like 40-50 mph wind gusts and a little bit of rain here. :rolleyes: Basically the same conditions as we had during thunderstorms the past couple of weekends. Hardly the apocalypse these media clowns are trying to make it out to be.

There are already some places that have cancelled school. Idiots. I hope it ends up being like nothing and these people feel like idiots when they are making these days up in july.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
They're shutting down all the public transit in NYC tonight at 7pm. Guess I'm not going in to work tomorrow...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is being hyped up like crazy by the media. You think they would have enough stories with the election coming up that they wouldn't need to pull this crap.

We're going to get like 40-50 mph wind gusts and a little bit of rain here. :rolleyes: Basically the same conditions as we had during thunderstorms the past couple of weekends. Hardly the apocalypse these media clowns are trying to make it out to be.

There are already some places that have cancelled school. Idiots. I hope it ends up being like nothing and these people feel like idiots when they are making these days up in july.
Do you remember stries of the hurricane of 38, this could be worse.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The school systems in the Boston area have already cancelled school for tomorrow which I'm a bit confused over.

The storm AFAIK, is not due to hit us until monday night and even then, it will only be tropical storm level - why cancel school well before the arrival of the school :confused:

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Evacuating w/the Mac Pro

Well, Sandy is on her way here. Aside from the food and camera I'm going to be packing up the Mac as well. Anyone else doing the same?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Do you remember stries of the hurricane of 38, this could be worse.

Maybe for Jersey and Delaware, but not where I am.

We're forecasted to get 2-4 inches of ran between now and Wednesday and it will be a little windy. The area where the storm is going ashore (at least 250 miles southeast of me) is going to get 50-60mph winds with gusts up to around 75mph. Here we'll probably see 30-40mph with gusts around 50, maybe a few approaching 60.

It's not going to be much more here in MA than the dozens of severe thunderstorms we had over this past summer. I mean, ****, we had a storm with 40mph winds last weekend. That's why there's already barely any leaves left on the trees, it killed the foliage season way early.

No doubt it's going to be a big storm for the people down in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey where the storm is going ashore, but people around here are freaking out like we have a category 5 hurricane coming straight up Narragansett Bay. This isn't happening here, but these idiots are already closing down schools & businesses for some overhyped wind.

This just reminds me of when we had school cancelled back when I was in middle school (around 1999 or so) for a "hurricane day" and it turned out to be 75 degrees and gorgeous out.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The school systems in the Boston area have already cancelled school for tomorrow which I'm a bit confused over.

The storm AFAIK, is not due to hit us until monday night and even then, it will only be tropical storm level - why cancel school well before the arrival of the school :confused:

The line I'm hearing here in nyc is that they're preemptively closing things to make it completely clear that people shouldn't be out and about during the storm.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Maybe for Jersey and Delaware, but not where I am.

We're forecasted to get 2-4 inches of ran between now and Wednesday and it will be a little windy. The area where the storm is going ashore (at least 250 miles southeast of me) is going to get 50-60mph winds with gusts up to around 75mph. Here we'll probably see 30-40mph with gusts around 50, maybe a few approaching 60.

It's not going to be much more here in MA than the dozens of severe thunderstorms we had over this past summer. I mean, ****, we had a storm with 40mph winds last weekend. That's why there's already barely any leaves left on the trees, it killed the foliage season way early.

No doubt it's going to be a big storm for the people down in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey where the storm is going ashore, but people around here are freaking out like we have a category 5 hurricane coming straight up Narragansett Bay. This isn't happening here, but these idiots are already closing down schools & businesses for some overhyped wind.

This just reminds me of when we had school cancelled back when I was in middle school (around 1999 or so) for a "hurricane day" and it turned out to be 75 degrees and gorgeous out.
The CT coast is going to see flooding that hasn't been seen since 1956 and New York City might get all time record high flooding in lower Manhattan of 12 feet in Battery Park. Just because you are in Boston doesn't mean you won't get bad winds as the storm extends 400 miles from the center. They are also measuring this storm as one of the lowest pressures to ever hit.

beto2k7

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
::1
I live in a city that thank god is not in risk of being hit by a hurricane. Ever. However there are the unavoidable emergencies. I would not try to save my Mac pro as the thing weighs in at 50+ lbs. I have an insurance and off site backups of my drives that will allow me to leave it behind should I found myself in an emergency.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The CT coast is going to see flooding that hasn't been seen since 1956 and New York City might get all time record high flooding in lower Manhattan of 12 feet in Battery Park. Just because you are in Boston doesn't mean you won't get bad winds as the storm extends 400 miles from the center. They are also measuring this storm as one of the lowest pressures to ever hit.

The lunar tides and storm surge will have major impacts in all areas, regardless of rain and wind.

Zioxide, The authorities are being cautious, pretty harsh to fault them for that. I'd rather them be proactive in preparations than reactive to conditions. Damage amounts go way, way down when a community is prepared.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph? They are only going to get weaker as the storm comes ashore. No doubt flooding along the coast is a major concern, but for areas where flooding isn't a factor, this isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as they are freaking out to be.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph? They are only going to get weaker as the storm comes ashore. No doubt flooding along the coast is a major concern, but for areas where flooding isn't a factor, this isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as they are freaking out to be.
Hurricane force winds could extend into Maine. And this storm is going to slow down and be a 36 hour event.

----------

The lunar tides and storm surge will have major impacts in all areas, regardless of rain and wind.

Zioxide, The authorities are being cautious, pretty harsh to fault them for that. I'd rather them be proactive in preparations than reactive to conditions. Damage amounts go way, way down when a community is prepared.
Yes the lunar tides will cause water rise but adding storm surge and water being driven in will make it much worse than usual.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph?
Where I live (Virginia Beach), the issue isn't the maximum wind strength, it's that the strong winds will be lasting for 24-36 hours.

Usually storms only take a few hours to pass. Having high winds start on Sunday, and continue through Monday, and into Tuesday ... that's extremely unusual (for here, anyway).

A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 8 PM EDT Monday.

Timing: from Sunday morning through Monday evening.

Wind: northeast winds 30 to 45 mph... with gusts to 55 mph. On
Monday... northwest winds 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 60 mph.

Impacts: prolonged strong winds and saturated soils will increase the potential for downed trees... power outages... and possibly structural damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.