Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
As an iPad 3 owner, I must say this is one of the worst things to have happened to me in a long time. I really do wonder if Apple hates me?

I hope this is in jest, cause if this is "one of the worst things to have happened to you in a long time", I envy your life. :)

Great improvement in such a short time frame. Value is definitely there.

My iPad 3 weeps. I can't believe it's MORE than twice as fast.

It IS incredible; technological progress just won't stop.

The A5 wasn't exactly new when it came to the iPad. It just got a graphics update to handle the new resolution. I hope fall updates become the new "cycle." It's better for consumers because all the iPads bought for the holidays won't become obsolete in three months.

Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!! Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

If the improvements are THIS dramatic, why 'sit' on great new technology, and allow the competition to catch up?

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Fragmentation

The benchmark-jump looks nice, although i doubt that many apps will profit from it. Developers want their apps to run on a variety of devices and due to the short timegap between iPad3 and 4 releases i guess the iPad 4 will not sell as good as the others did. Most people will wait for the next Update - and don't forget about the challengers released by Google yesterday.
:apple:

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
All that extra power is pointless if the unit still doesn't support full multitasking.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Damn, my poor little iPad 3 :(

Still love it though, its a great product. I'll be sure next time something new is released and uses the previous generations CPU to wait for the power house version :)

Gottis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

you and fourteen other people are really onto something

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

the S3 I have was 1.4ghz quadcore, thin and light bigger screen. Still didn't work as smoothly as my old 4S. :rolleyes:

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

After seeing the Nexus announcement I cancelled my iPad orders and will try out a Nexus 7 and 10. I am looking for gifts and Apple is frankly being priced out of that market for me. For the price difference the risk is well worth it and that feature set is great.

Sep 10, 2012
I am definitely noticing stuttering with my iPad 3, now.

With this new processor the "new, new" iPad will be so smooth.

Now really contemplating selling my "new" iPad to get one of these ...

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011

HP touchpad:
1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM

iPad 2:
1 GHz
512 MB RAM

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08/19/hp-tested-webos-on-an-ipad-it-ran-over-twice-as-fast/

Yupe, spec is a great way to judge performance. :rolleyes:

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB :rolleyes:
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-manufacturing-cost/

iSuppli.jpg

SpidrWeb

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Oh well, it was nice to have the fastest iOS device the month it lasted!

If you follow other posts there are certain apple stores allowing the "trade ins" from the iPad third gen to the iPad fourth gen if the iPad is within the 30 day bought period. So if the month you had it is in that range, you might want to look into that.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

With the nexus 10 getting a15 Apple needed this update asap.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Or Apple is just moving to a fall release...which makes more sense the first place.

Agreed! Together with the announcement that they kicked out John Forstall I think Apple is finally on a good track with Tim Cook as CEO! It makes perfect sense to introduce a new architecture with the iPhone in September and then have an upgraded iPad version of the chip in October.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I love my ipad 3 but have been so close to pulling the trigger on this. It's been hard not to.

The one thing that keeps me from clicking the "complete order" button is the RAM!

Apple and their RAM issues. Like a bad penny or a leaky roof, they just never go away.

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best. Does anyone have a slide rule at Apple? They have increased everything, except, wait for it... RAM!

Why? They want it to be obsolete sooner, rather than later. This is why I will wait the 6 months, or so, and get the 1.5/2GB RAM / A15 version.

RAM is dirt cheap and should scale with CPU/GPU increases.

My largest ipad 3 complaint is the same I had with the original ipad, RAM.

Look at the cost of iPhone 5 RAM: $10.45/GB

Apple, please, charge me an extra $10.45, so I can have 2GB :rolleyes:
Hell, charge me $50.00, just give it to me! The ipad will never, and I mean never, compete with any laptop, so stop gimping it! Let it be FFS. Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-manufacturing-cost/

It took apple this long just to get 1 gig ram I doubt we will get 2gig in 6 months. I do agree with you 100% otherwise.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
6 month cycles are good because there will be two factions of iPad owners who update once a year and keep leapfrogging each other every 6 months.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Agreed! Together with the announcement that they kicked out John Forstall I think Apple is finally on a good track with Tim Cook as CEO! It makes perfect sense to introduce a new architecture with the iPhone in September and then have an upgraded iPad version of the chip in October.

Doesn't it make more sense to stagger your releases throughout the year so consumers don't feel taxed by purchasing multiple products? For instance, if I already ordered an iphone in Sep, I might hesitate about blowing a few more hundred a month later. What's there left that could be announced in March?

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro

Don't start with the whole iOS is optimized garbage. This was a huge update and they left the RAM at 1GB. Pathetic at best.

Do agree on you, but if they do that, many people wouldnt buy a first, or even second interval of new products.
And thats how Apple marketing works (not just apple), they tell you how amazing and xy speedy then one before is, and in some ways force you to buy a new one soon.
They could put a A6x with 2gb chip in february release, but then most of people would be happy next 2-3 years, and that means less money.
Good 30% of ipad3 users will get the new one, even there is not that much reason for it.

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
6 month cycles are good because there will be two factions of iPad owners who update once a year and keep leapfrogging each other every 6 months.

I very much doubt we'll see 6 month update cycles for iPads. They just want to avoid people not getting one during the holidays because the update is fairly shortly after that.
I think we'll only see updates for iPads, iPods and iPhones during the fall from now on.

Only Macs will potentially update on other time intervals.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
After seeing the Nexus announcement I cancelled my iPad orders and will try out a Nexus 7 and 10. I am looking for gifts and Apple is frankly being priced out of that market for me. For the price difference the risk is well worth it and that feature set is great.

It's your money. Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.