Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Siri will need to play catchup regarding speed and word by word transcription. Otherwise, this isn't a real Siri competitor since it isn't baked into iOS. While I'm sure Apple is working on Siri improvements as we speak, this "competition" will ensure faster and better improvements to Siri.

This is great to have on older devices lacking Siri though.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Siri is not just a search tool.

How many of these things can Google Search do?

Better question is how many of those things does Siri actually do well, the first time you say it? Answer is 0.

----------

In a world where it can't set alarm clocks, reminders, GPS nav, play music, open apps, etc. :eek:

If apple let any other voice assistant access these tasks, you know they'd be a ton better. Since they don't, this does everything else A LOT better than Siri.

DavidFongs

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

You are the one who clearly doesn't fully understand the two. You used Google Voice Search to try to text your wife, and got angry that it did a search.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

While I agree Siri can do some iOS specific things that Google simply cannot access. I terms of speed and performance for anything search related, this app blows Siri out of the water. The speed in which the Google app translates, and how accurate it is vs Siri in it's speech recognition is very, very good.

I'm an Apple fan all the way but this Google app imo is very good, and for me, more useful than Siri as many of the Siri specific functions I don't use daily, however I do use various search methods multiple times per day. This Google app will be my goto app for those types of searches.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

That's only because Google doesn't have access to the phone's settings, as Siri does. In every way, it's a better, faster voice interpreter. Google Search is phenomenal, I have to say that I'm worried about this little competition Apple has gotten itself into...they should allow Google to do what they do best (information and search), and Apple should focus on the things they do best (simple, beautiful software and amazing hardware design).

Apple is simply not going to win when it comes to information/maps and search. Not a chance.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Just downloaded it. For any of you thinking Siri is better, quit drinking the kool aid and download it. We all know you haven't yet.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

You can't be serious. Please tell me you aren't serious.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I just did. It doesn't do half the stuff I do with Siri.. is there some more options or something ?

Of course it can't, Google doesn't have access to your phone and other apps the way Apple does.

But what's clear is that Google Search is much faster and more accurate at interpreting speech. The difference is very noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.