Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:07 AM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Spam on MacRumors worsening

Let me start by flatly stating I do not believe the moderators are lazy or incompetent.

Why has there been an increasing incidence of spam posts on macrumors forums? It can't be getting easier for spammers to infiltrate the forums.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:13 AM   #2
OllyW

Please report the spam posts and we'll deal with them as soon as a moderator is available.

We can't monitor every single post so we rely on post reports to alert us.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

And you have done that well. I'm not complaining that I ever see it. I'm curious as to why its been ramping up lately. Most of the people on the site are tech savvy enough not to fall for it, and continuously creating accounts would be tedious. It seems like a lot of work for no gain
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
maflynn

I think for the most part its an automated process and if its not, thy probably outsource and pay pennies for such things.

As Olly mentioned, report it, the moderators try to be proactive, and monitor the situation but with so many posts occurring each day there some that slip through.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
And you have done that well. I'm not complaining that I ever see it. I'm curious as to why its been ramping up lately. Most of the people on the site are tech savvy enough not to fall for it, and continuously creating accounts would be tedious. It seems like a lot of work for no gain
It seems to come in waves. A different group of spammers will target us for a few weeks and then lose interest when they realise it's not working. I even doubt the people posting the spam have a clue what they are posting, they are probably just contracted to cut & paste it across a number of targeted sites.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback