Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations for Superstorm Sandy Relief

Apple has launched a new page on its iTunes Store allowing users to easily donate money to the American Red Cross toward Superstorm Sandy relief efforts. The donation page, which is accessible through the desktop iTunes Store as well as the iTunes and App Store apps on iOS, permits donations at the $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 levels.

Apple will transfer 100% of each donation directly to the American Red Cross, allowing users to have their donations seamlessly billed to their existing iTunes Store accounts. With Apple currently holding over 400 million iTunes Store accounts with credit cards attached, the company has a very significant customer base that can take advantage of the donation program.

Apple has conducted several similar campaigns in the past, most recently in March 2011 following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and in January 2010 following the Haitian earthquakes.

Update: Apple has now added a link to the iTunes Store donation page on the main apple.com page.

Article Link: iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations for Superstorm Sandy Relief
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Very nice.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3
pk7
macrumors 6502

I love it when Apple does this. Generous move.
pk7 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Icestorm815
macrumors newbie

Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).
Icestorm815 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icestorm815 View Post
Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).
iTunes store gets more eyeballs than the Red Cross site. Also Apple already has a lot of credit card details on their servers. One click is all it takes.

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 1, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
daneoni is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:42 PM   #6
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

The awkward moment when Apple has billions of liquid dollars and will not donate anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:46 PM   #7
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
The awkward moment when Apple has billions of liquid dollars and will not donate anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.
It's almost as if they're a publicly traded company with the sole purpose of making money for the shareholders! Those heartless bastards.
appleguy123 is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
It's almost as if they're a publicly traded company with the sole purpose of making money for the shareholders! Those heartless bastards.
Exactly, so why are they pretending otherwise?
mrgraff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM   #9
davidgrimm
macrumors regular

Good Move!

I love it when Apple does this. If I mailed a check to the Red Cross, my name would be get on a list and they'd spend at least 1/2 of what I sent them begging for more. They still may piss away 1/2 the money on begging campaigns, but at least they won't be filling my mail box with their crap.

So Thanks Apple, for letting me donate in a secure and anonymous manner and still have confidence that the money will actually make it to the Red Cross.
davidgrimm is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM   #10
jvpython
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to jvpython
Quote:
And how would you know?
jvpython is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:49 PM   #11
noupf
macrumors member

Quote:
please post a copy of the receipt from your donation............hope its more than $5
noupf is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They shouldn't have to. People are using their iPhone's to dial 000 which if they could not they would die. Apple has saved thousands of lives already.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
JoJack82
macrumors newbie

Who gets the tax write off? Apple? Just go here to donate directly
JoJack82 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Slow down kids. Stop the hate and donate.
Peace is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:55 PM   #15
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

If I donate, I want to know where my money's going. For example, a rural family who lost their home would be great. But I wouldn't want my money going to some rich Manhattan-ite whose Porsche was flooded in their $600/month underground parking space. For that reason, I'm not donating. I'll wait for the next disaster. Sorry East Coasters!
GREEN4U is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:57 PM   #16
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
Allowing the Red Cross seemless access to their entire customer base is pretty generous I'd say. If you or a loved one had an illness that you could not afford to get treatment for, and Apple allows you to receive donations like this from their customer base, would you say...

"no Thanks Apple, if your customers want to donate, they can come to me directly!"

No, I didn't think so either. Think before posting.
How is it generous of Apple allowing you to donate your own money? It's convenient, but not generous.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
still waiting to see your donation receipt...........

As if I'd post what I do here. I'm like Steve. I give secretly. You should be defending me.
AppleScruff1 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:00 AM   #17
MacMilligan
macrumors 6502

Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.
MacMilligan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:02 AM   #18
nutjob
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN4U View Post
If I donate, I want to know where my money's going. For example, a rural family who lost their home would be great. But I wouldn't want my money going to some rich Manhattan-ite whose Porsche was flooded in their $600/month underground parking space. For that reason, I'm not donating. I'll wait for the next disaster. Sorry East Coasters!
Excuses, excuses.
nutjob is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:03 AM   #19
noupf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMilligan View Post
Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.
when you make charitable doantions you do get a reciept. you need that receipt to prove that you made the dontation in case you ever get audited by the irs.

The donation is a write off for those who donate. Apple can not write off the doantion on your behalf.
noupf is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:04 AM   #20
RVdave
macrumors member

Are the donations for the people or for the damaged Apple stores?
RVdave is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:08 AM   #21
davidgrimm
macrumors regular

I'll donate. Its my duty to help those less fortunate than I. I do not rely on the government to relieve me of my responsibility to my fellow Americans and fellow man.

I appreciate Apple making it easy for me to do this.
davidgrimm is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:09 AM   #22
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
Why are you harassing people that defend Apple on a website dedicated to Apple and its products? That's about as tactful as campaigning for the Green Party presidential candidate inside the RNC or DNC headquarters.

And besides, NOBODY has mentioned anything about "X company would never do what Apple is doing here!" or anything illogical or trashing other companies. So I don't see why you have such an issue with people talking about Apple in a positive light. There are plenty of other places on the internet dedicated to being perpetually cynical towards Apple, I don't know why so many people choose MacRumors to vent their frustrations.
I'm not harassing anyone. I am merely pointing out that Apple making it easy for YOU to donate YOUR money isn't a generous act on Apple's part. They make it convenient for you. And as usual, there is a deluge of people defending Apple at all costs. If this was Google or Microsoft, they'd be considered cheap, wouldn't they?
AppleScruff1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #23
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
Exactly, so why are they pretending otherwise?
Did I miss the article where they pretended otherwise? They are just letting people use their iTunes accounts for some philanthropy. It gets them good publicity, it puts the option in front of a lot of eyes, and it allows people who aren't comfortable for whatever reason entering their cardio care number in a browser. Plus it costs Apple no money beyond normal server costs. Win win win.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I'm not harassing anyone. I am merely pointing out that Apple making it easy for YOU to donate YOUR money isn't a generous act on Apple's part. They make it convenient for you. And as usual, there is a deluge of people defending Apple at all costs. If this was Google or Microsoft, they'd be considered cheap, wouldn't they?
No, they wouldn't. Publicity traded corporations raised money through a public offering of shares in their company. When they do this it is implied that they will do whatever they can to give the shareholders the best possible return on investment. If the shareholders want to donate the cash they earn, that's up to them.

If anyone has a problem with this, it's not with Apple. It's with the market system.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:20 AM   #24
skaertus
macrumors 68020

I tried to make a donation, but it is not available in the Brazilian's iTunes Store (it says that the store of my country doesn't support donations). And, of course, Apple does not allow me to have a US account without a US credit card...
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:36 AM   #25
lukarak
macrumors regular

No 30%cut? That`s very generous.
lukarak is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion