Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:46 AM   #1
oblomow
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to oblomow
Photo of the day: November 2012

It's November on the International Dateline.[/B]

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.
oblomow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Doylem
macrumors 68040

Easedale Tarn...

Doylem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:37 AM   #3
TheDrift-
macrumors 6502a

Lion by Shaun Wilkinson Photography, on Flickr
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

The local beach this afternoon. Experimenting with a circular polarising filter that I just received.

Port Noarlunga Beach by iJohn.8.80 on Flickr
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Razeus
macrumors 68040

It was time for my oldest son's fall portrait.

201210290346 by dharrisphotog, on Flickr
Razeus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Fall in the Nisqually Delta.

EXIF Summary: Cannon 7D 1/160s f/8.0 ISO100 Canon 100mm Macro

Dale
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:56 AM   #7
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Thumb resize.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Melizard
macrumors 6502

I love taking photos out of airplane windows. This is from somewhere in the Andes between Lima and Cusco.

Peru by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Photo of my daughter I shot on October 30th..... I shot a family photo with us all being zombies out in this great field, with this industrial section in the distance behind us. And then I shot several single shots inside my studio. This is one of the creepiest ones....

Thumb resize.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Nov 3, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Please use TIMG tags for images over 1024
DesterWallaboo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
lizardofwoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
Easedale Tarn...

I learned today that there is only ONE lake in the Lake's District... all the others are meres, tarns or waters.

Call them whatever you will... the Doylem pictures are delicious.
lizardofwoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Bound in Light
macrumors newbie

I shot this guy at our local Butterfly Pavilion. He was very kind to pose so nicely for me.

With the Flick of my Nose by boundinlightphotography, on Flickr

Canon 7D, 27" iMac, 17" Powerbook
Bound in Light is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardofwoz View Post
I learned today that there is only ONE lake in the Lake's District... all the others are meres, tarns or waters.

Call them whatever you will... the Doylem pictures are delicious.
Proper pronunciation is Lake District. When you see Lake's District, it's a possessive spelling. The district belongs to the lake.

Extra credit question: Who was Vinandr?

The Lake District is on my "bucket list".

Dale
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
snyder7
macrumors member

Mine for today!
snyder7 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a

Was thinking about this place Monday Night ..... Wonder if they made it ...
someoldguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Doylem
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardofwoz View Post
True... and it's Bassenthwaite Lake. I talk about 'Lake Windermere', which is a bit of a tautology, since lake = mere... but merely to differentiate it from Windermere, the town. As well as the main lakes (16, most folk agree), there are hundreds of smaller bodies of water, mostly known as tarns...
Doylem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:15 PM   #16
AxisOfBeagles
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It was time for my oldest son's fall portrait.

201210290346 by dharrisphotog, on Flickr
Great portrait photo of a good looking young man - bravo to the photographer / Dad.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:15 PM   #17
sunnyj
macrumors 6502

Samsung S4 Flickr
sunnyj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:12 PM   #18
acearchie
macrumors 68040

As always, any critique appreciated!

On The Fence by acearchie, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
Photo of my daughter I shot on October 30th..... I shot a family photo with us all being zombies out in this great field, with this industrial section in the distance behind us. And then I shot several single shots inside my studio. This is one of the creepiest ones....

Thumb resize.
You might want to think about resizing. I can't even fit the whole thing on my screen!
acearchie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:47 PM   #19
iTiki
macrumors 6502

Pacific Grove Sunset

Recent shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1228.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	374270  
iTiki is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:58 PM   #20
zagato27
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
As always, any critique appreciated!

Thumb resize.
On The Fence by acearchie, on
acearchie, I am envious of your time with the models. Same ones as last months "pool shot". I'm thinking daughters or maybe nieces. Lucky devil I thought the "pool shot" was sweet. cheers
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:59 PM   #21
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Back from a trip to parts of Greece and Italy...

Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:03 PM   #22
zagato27
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Wondering how "someoldguy" is doing. I know he's in the NYC area. Hope he's ok. Been talking with my eldest daughter who lives in Brooklyn and she has come through Sandy unscathed, other than not be able to get to work with the transit situation. Anyway, best wishes to "someoldguy" and all the folks affected by Sandy.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:25 PM   #23
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a

Thanks.... Yup , still alive, dodged the bullet ( barely ) again . I'm in one of the 3 small towns in North Jersey that got slammed when the berm on the Hackensack River got breached/overtopped .Water came up fast and caught everyone off guard . My guess is about 80% of the houses had some sort of water damage to their lower levels/basements . All I've got are some shingles blown off , and no power since around 11:30 Monday . Been running off generator since . Got my place and my neighbor running off the one machine . Tuesday morning we had major National Guard , State Police , county , and local mutual aid folks here . Even an airboat . FEMA trucks were around yesterday . The lower parts of town still have some water , might be there until power goes on and the pump stations go back online . Cleanup's going to take some time but everyones pulling together pretty much , Flooding isn't that unusual here , but it's never been like this ( I've been here most of my 63 years , family in town over 100) . Saddened to see what happened to my town , but my heart really goes out to those folks down the Shore and on Long Island .... a lot of those places just got flattened .Suspect the place in my last post looks a lot different now ( it is/was near Atlantic City ...near Exit 39 on the Parkway) . Thanks for thinking of us.

Last edited by someoldguy; Nov 1, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: syntactical malfunction
someoldguy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:52 AM   #24
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Found these hanging up to dry in the sun at the local Surf Life Savers clubrooms yesterday. They teach aquatics to school kids during the day, the kids use these wetsuits when it's a bit cold in the water.

Wet Suits by iJohn.8.80 on Flickr
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:32 AM   #25
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
Thanks.... Yup , still alive, dodged the bullet ( barely ) again . I'm in one of the 3 small towns in North Jersey that got slammed when the berm on the Hackensack River got breached/overtopped .Water came up fast and caught everyone off guard . My guess is about 80% of the houses had some sort of water damage to their lower levels/basements . All I've got are some shingles blown off , and no power since around 11:30 Monday . Been running off generator since . Got my place and my neighbor running off the one machine . Tuesday morning we had major National Guard , State Police , county , and local mutual aid folks here . Even an airboat . FEMA trucks were around yesterday . The lower parts of town still have some water , might be there until power goes on and the pump stations go back online . Cleanup's going to take some time but everyones pulling together pretty much , Flooding isn't that unusual here , but it's never been like this ( I've been here most of my 63 years , family in town over 100) . Saddened to see what happened to my town , but my heart really goes out to those folks down the Shore and on Long Island .... a lot of those places just got flattened .Suspect the place in my last post looks a lot different now ( it is/was near Atlantic City ...near Exit 39 on the Parkway) . Thanks for thinking of us.
Having been born in Brooklyn and having lived in NJ a good part of my youth and with ALL of my siblings and most of my cousins still in the NY-NJ area, I was blown away by the devastation. I hung out at the Jersey shore and to see the Seaside boardwalk obliterated and talk to a friend who now lives on the beach and hear of the destruction and devastation just breaks my heart. To all who have been impacted by this deadly storm, my prayers go out daily to all of you! Stay safe and well. You are not alone. SOG, glad you are safe!
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography