Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Cant localize the point of impact on your iPhones screen. Which might suggest there are some truth about your claims, and again does not prove anything.

Did you use your device out side of the guaranteed temperature range?

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

have you insured your phone?

you can always try to take it back any way, but it will depend greatly on the person in the store, and maybe the technician that might look at it.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I really hope you're a girl, cause those are some long fingernails!

Anyway, it looks like something hit directly on the front of the phone. With stress cracks from faulty glass, it doesn't shatter like that. It just cracks cleanly.

I went back and looked and those hands look like a guys hands so I hope it is not a girl!:eek:

It does not really matter if you damaged your phone or not, Apple usually does not give you a new one for damages like this. Now if lots of people were seeing their screen break, but that is not happening.

Just bad luck for you.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have heard of a few phones getting a small fracture that slowly expanded, but damn that looks like a drop or pressed against something while in your pocket.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
It's looks like the screen made direct contact with whatever it hit. My wife dropped her 3GS flat on its face on pavement, and the screen shattered exactly like that.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Replies

a.) definitely a guy
b.) did not drop it, there is NO point of impact.
c.) I'm on Sprint's promo credit union deal with my family so I got my phone(s) on Sprint for free, $100 credit for each line I switched over from T-Mobile, my activation fees waived. So I pay barely anything for service as well ($150 for 3 lines, unlimited everything)
d.) thanks for the wired article, and Tim's email.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Even if this was the case, I would suggest that any phone should be built to tolerate this. This or something similar happens all the time, and really should be considered as normal usage.

From my experience, most students get to class in a hurry and hit the rail hard enough it'll shatter especially if it's glass. That's the only reason I'm asking.

But I agree with the others about no point of impact. The OP should get it investigated for a prospective defective glass. I've heard of glass (especially tempered glass) shattering for no reason because of a tiny imperfection.

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
Go to the Genius Bar and bully the nerdiest looking genius don't take no for an answer. They'll swap it out like they always do. Works for me every time

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Go to the Genius Bar and bully the nerdiest looking genius don't take no for an answer. They'll swap it out like they always do. Works for me every time

If the bbb cant help me replace it, I will definitely throw a fit at an Apple store. I'm 17, and I can take responsibility for my actions. And when I say it wasnt my fault, it truly wasnt. I'm really annoyed, as it wasnt me....
I really do need a new phone ASAP.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Let say your iPhone 5 screen cracked itself.
and I yell at you since you can't pay $200 for replacement.
How do you feel?

It didn't just crack itself. He smashed his phone.

----------

a.)
b.) did not drop it, there is NO point of impact.

Of course there is a point of impact. What you are claiming is impossible. It didn't break itself. It would be better if you'd be honest, go to the apple store tell them what really happened and ask for help. You're just gonna look like the fool and get laughed at with this totally non-credible story "it broke itself". No. No it didn't.

----------

And everyone agrees there is no point of impact?

No It did not break itself. You throw your fit.

kids these days.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Point of impact?

Attachments

• DSC03008.JPG
    DSC03008.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 284

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
So serious. If he can afford the $200 on contract plan, he had better be able to pay the $200 replacement.. if money is THAT tight, why would you even get an iPhone 5? Honestly..

who the hell pays $200 a month for their phone? :rolleyes:

i pay $60...

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Point of impact?

I don't see a point of impact on this. Do you remember hitting the rail or something as that definitely could have done something like that. I am guessing you didn't buy Applecare+?

I also agree with the person who said that maybe it had a very small crack/fracture and expanded. Have you dropped it?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Point of impact?

honestly yeah.. it doesnt look like it to me. (im no expert) when there is a point of impact there is MUCH smaller shards spreading everywhere. to the larger ones.

that being said.. it is possible to break your screen without a point of impact if force is applied evenly.

i once dropped my 4s and it landed flush with the surface and it caused a similar look. (once again not saying you are lying, just letting you know what Apple might say)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If the bbb cant help me replace it, I will definitely throw a fit at an Apple store. I'm 17, and I can take responsibility for my actions. And when I say it wasnt my fault, it truly wasnt. I'm really annoyed, as it wasnt me....
I really do need a new phone ASAP.

Good luck with that.
Try crying a bit too, that might also help:D

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Aren't the iPhone 5's built in such a manner that it is much easier/cheaper to replace the front glass this time? Wasn't that in the report from iFixit? If you don't have any luck getting it replaced, you may want to look into that. May not cost as much as Apple wants.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Looks like you dropped it face down on concrete. Apple is not going to believe your phone just broke itself. It's not a credible story. Try the truth.

Either dropped face down on concrete or the face hit something while in a pocket. Car door, bar of some sort, something caused this it didn't shatter on its own.

if you look close enough you can follow a pattern of the damage that would be consistent with the phone hitting face down on concrete or the user running in to something while in his pocket.

Good luck getting Apple to replace it, if the OP goes in to the store and acts like "that" customer it will make it even more difficult. Apple owes the OP nothing more than a $249 out of warranty replacement. I'd suggest Applecare + or a sturdy case next time around since the OP doesn't seem to know when he drops his phone or runs in to things with his phone in his pocket.

At 17 consider this a life lesson, when you own up to your mistakes it makes things easier than BS'ing your way through them. We've all made mistakes, the difference is most of us are responsible and mature enough to deal with them without lying to ourselves or others.

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Let say your iPhone 5 screen cracked itself.
and I yell at you since you can't pay $200 for replacement.
How do you feel?
Lets not say that it cracked itself, because that is simply not possible. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Let me restate that. It is possible. But the above damage is NOT a faultline crack as would happen naturally on accident out of poor or defective design.
cracked_glass-other.jpg
. The crack in the middle (running towards you) is a faultline crack, and the one running opposite is impact damage crack.

Two main points here. One, you can clearly see it is a fracture from impact damage. Look at the middle of the screen. It would logically say that a railing from stairs hit the screen at some point. The way the cracks spider out and curve down (in the picture) towards that point also supports this... alongside the fact that tempered glass does not just shatter.

Secondly, he's correct. If you can buy a $800 phone, but not afford to take care of it or replace it, why buy the phone? Illogical especially if money is tight so you cannot replace it.

Last edited:

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, it may not be your fault... but it is called "accident". That's why we have insurance to cover "accident".

I don't remember when or how my car's windshield got chipped. It was an accident. I made claim to the insurance company as the windshield is covered by my car insurance. (Obviously, I have to pay the deductible so the auto-glass shop can fix it.) I don't go back to dealership and tell them "it is not my fault so replace the windshield!".

If you didn't purchase apple care plus, don't expect Apple to fix your iPhone's accidental damages for free or $49.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I don't see a point of impact on this. Do you remember hitting the rail or something as that definitely could have done something like that. I am guessing you didn't buy Applecare+?

I also agree with the person who said that maybe it had a very small crack/fracture and expanded. Have you dropped it?

I didnt buy Apple care. I dropped it once maybe, before. But that caused no scratches or cracks. Since its only been 12 days since ive had the phone, can I still buy apple care, and pay 49 bucks for accidental damage?

By the way, I didnt hit my leg on the railing, or anywhere where it could have impacted. I remember because I was walking in the middle of the staircase, and my friend was by the railing........

Im telling you there was NO point of impact, no place where it legit hit anything. maybe a previous drop caused it to crack completely.
however, that doesnt change the fact that i need a new phone

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I didnt buy Apple care. I dropped it once maybe, before. But that caused no scratches or cracks. Since its only been 12 days since ive had the phone, can I still buy apple care, and pay 49 bucks for accidental damage?

By the way, I didnt hit my leg on the railing, or anywhere where it could have impacted. I remember because I was walking in the middle of the staircase, and my friend was by the railing........

Im telling you there was NO point of impact, no place where it legit hit anything. maybe a previous drop caused it to crack completely.
however, that doesnt change the fact that i need a new phone

It changes the fact that you still claim it "broke on its own".
Maybe taking responsibility for your actions would be a lesson taught later in life. At 17 I guess its always everyone elses fault but yourselfs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.