Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Only about 9 years.

Professionally? So you're saying that your production company, or agencies, or news company you work for has actually adopted FCP X?

I don't know one single professional agency that has moved over to FCP X. There maybe be a couple out there, but if they were on FCP7 they are either sticking with it for now or jumping ship back to Avid or Premiere.

And if you don't do this 100% full time as a professional job, please just stop posting about how awesome it is.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
You trying to start some kind of a pissing contest here or what? Is a professional only a professional when he works for some elitist outfit?

Yes, we are phasing out Classic and move into X. You got a problem with that?

Some arrogance that is going on here, man, man, man!

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I guess I'm just not understanding. Why you would move from a proven product, when I assume you have thousand of dollars worth of plugins for, multiple seats for an inferior product.

Go ahead and use it, but spending money on something with less ability than what you currently have just makes zero sense to me. Sure, maybe in 3 years when it is what it was 4 years ago I could see it, but whatever.

Man, I'm an Apple fanboy. I've been working with FCP since it came out and Avid before that. I loved FCP. I just hate what it has become.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Guys lets keep this down to basics please.
Ive seen enough of this crap on CreativeCow and REDUSER.
Its MacRumors not HateRumors ;)
WRP I respect your opinion.
You dont like FCPX thats understandable.
Just hope it didnt help lose you a job or cause Cancer.
Its just software folks not a way of life.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
WRP, your problem is that you seemingly can't think behind the tip of your nose. FCP X is inferior you, but I think a tool that saves ME a lot of time, is convenient to use and gives me the same quality in output is superior to ME on MY job and for MY needs.

I loved Classic, but once you are used to X and know your ways around in X, Classic (as well as Premiere) feel clumsy to ME.

Let's keep it at that.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
WRP, your problem is that you seemingly can't think behind the tip of your nose. FCP X is inferior you, but I think a tool that saves ME a lot of time, is convenient to use and gives me the same quality in output is superior to ME on MY job and for MY needs.

I loved Classic, but once you are used to X and know your ways around in X, Classic (as well as Premiere) feel clumsy to ME.

Let's keep it at that.

Works for me :D

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I'm just going to jump back in this thread... I am only a student and started off with FCP7 the beginning of this year on my school's computers. I liked what I did so much that I got a new faster computer and bought X because Apple stopped selling FPC7, plus even if they did still sell 7 it would of taken me a long time to save up for it. I will say this about it, it can be really good sometimes but for things with color and other stuff, it just pisses me off sometimes (bring back the wheel!) When I edit, the background editing crashes FCPX and I mean I'm on a MacPro 8-core it shouldn't be doing that! Other times I'm just cursing out loud because it doesn't do what I want it to do. Even though I only used 7 for a short amount of time, I like it more, but i like the black of FCPX but it also looks like iMovie on steroids and not worth the $300. But when all is said and done, I'm not switching to Adobe or Avide because I have not idea how to use it and I'm scared to switch. Kind of like the people who have been using FCP 7 for a long time switching to X.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I know you said you can't afford it but FCS3 is still available. They removed it from their website but if you call and ask for it, you will get a copy. I just bought another copy for an assistant station at work.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Why not Premier? As a Student, you'll get the Master Suite for 800 bucks. The Production Suite is even cheaper - cheaper than looking FCP 7.

If you are used to FCP, the jump to Premier is pretty easy. After all, they have the same roots, CS 6 looks very nice.

Crashing during render? You sure your GPU is supported?

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
^I have to agree with him. Premiere is now light years ahead of FCP7. Plus, you get a GOOD compositing app as part of the suite instead of Motion. You're going to have to buy After Effects and Photoshop down the road anyway, you may as well get them and a kick ass NLE at the same time. You don't get as many royalty free sound effects and music, but that stuff is cheap down the road.

I don't like Adobe Media Encoder but I don't much like Compressor either. Just use mpeg streamclip for free. If FCS3 wasn't so ingrained in our workflow I would update everything to CS6 tomorrow.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
But when all is said and done, I'm not switching to Adobe or Avide because I have not idea how to use it and I'm scared to switch.
That's not a very good way to approach the situation. Change is inevitable. Companies, programs, formats, technology, etc., they all disappear or are replaced eventually requiring us to constantly learn new things. Cutting film to cutting on linear edit bays to cutting on computers... those were massive, up-ending workflow changes compared to just learning a new piece of software.

The sooner you start learning new apps, and not necessarily switching over to the full time but just learning them, the better off you'll be.

Lethal

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Decent roundtripping with Motion is the main feature I miss. There are a few other smaller issues too, but they would all be solved for me by better Motion integration.

Although I would ideally like to be able to just edit my FCX projects from inside motion. But I suspect that isn't an easy ask as FCX is very different in the way it edits compared to motion so you could end up with a lot timeline problems.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
batch exporting???

I forgot one (with a bit of a rant ;) - batch exporting.

I'm working on a large transfer project for a client. Ran a pile of files last night and into the morning when I was out turkey hunting.

Came back, edited more projects (I still think of them as sequences) - 7 in total.

I wanted to use Compressor to create the m2vs, but of course, I'm having issues with getting it to run with a cluster at full core maximums.

So I said, fine, I'll export some .movs and drop them into the ever reliable ( and high quality producing!) BitVice.

Again, Compressor's not going full max, but I have to do each one individually.

ah. the humanity...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
To date, I've been using a logitech trackball which I find works great for scrolling through footage and it has a few customizable buttons, but I've been looking at the contour design shuttle v2 as well.

Definitely get the Contour shuttle, it makes scrubbing a lot easier. Once you get the hang of the different speeds, you can't go back to anything else. Plus the inner dial makes frame editing a lot easier.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Definitely get the Contour shuttle, it makes scrubbing a lot easier. Once you get the hang of the different speeds, you can't go back to anything else. Plus the inner dial makes frame editing a lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback PH....appreciate it....I just might. For now, I did buy the magicpad so I'm trying. Heck, I may keep it for other apps too and get the contour as well :)

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Professionally? So you're saying that your production company, or agencies, or news company you work for has actually adopted FCP X?

I don't know one single professional agency that has moved over to FCP X. There maybe be a couple out there, but if they were on FCP7 they are either sticking with it for now or jumping ship back to Avid or Premiere.

And if you don't do this 100% full time as a professional job, please just stop posting about how awesome it is.

I think your definition of "professional" is a little distorted. A professional can be someone who works out of home, someone who works full-time at a post house or someone edits in a news van... The point is, if you depend on a trade for your livelihood, guess what? You're doing that trade professionally. There's really no reason to act like an elitist just because a particular piece of software doesn't work for you or your place of employment. All NLEs are merely tools used to get jobs done. If one tool doesn't work for you, you don't have to use it. But perhaps that same tool works great for someone else.

I still cut on FCP 7 and it's not because a bunch of smug LA people or industry journalists told me it's the devil's work. No. I haven't made a full switch yet because there's certain features I need that FCP X doesn't have yet. If those features came back, I'd probably consider a switch.

But right now, there are people out there (like cgbier) that certain workflow restrictions presumably don't apply to and as a result, FCP X is great for them. So, let them enjoy their software.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
..There's really no reason to act like an elitist just because a particular piece of software doesn't work for you or your place of employment...
its sorta the reverse in the past when I was scorned by Web Designers that I used DreamWeaver. Their attitude was if you cant code using notepad then you cant design web pages. They maybe right since Im not a web coder but heck I got a few sites done for fun using DW :) And yes its supposed to be fun ;)

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
its sorta the reverse in the past when I was scorned by Web Designers that I used DreamWeaver. Their attitude was if you cant code using notepad then you cant design web pages. They maybe right since Im not a web coder but heck I got a few sites done for fun using DW :) And yes its supposed to be fun ;)

I agree with you there, I think they might just be mad because you can do almost the same thing but in an easier way. They just feel cheated that they had to learn so much but now a few years up the way, it has become way easier.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I agree with you there, I think they might just be mad because you can do almost the same thing but in an easier way. They just feel cheated that they had to learn so much but now a few years up the way, it has become way easier.
We can all get like that at times. I was like that with Max and Maya. I was on both (apps) but got sucked into the fight between the two apps. In the end they are both owned by the same company and to date both are great options.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I came across another one today editing a project.

In multicam editing, If you have multiple cameras with their own audio source, you can't select more than one audio source at a time. So what this means is I'll have to export audio, add it back in and then edit the audio separate from multi cam. It would be really nice to have it attach any audio source available onto each clip (2+ audio channels onto one clip). I really think that is the only thing I've come across missing in the multicam editing. It works great for everything else I've thrown at it.

Maybe there is a better way to setup the initial recording. The problem is there is a speaker and then audience responses. Cam 1 on speaker with wireless lav mic, cam 2 on audience with boom mic. There is just enough difference in sound background noise that it makes it too noticeable to switch directly between the two. So what I'm going to do is export the cam 2 audio, edit video only in multicam, and then attach cam 2 audio over the clip and use range selection to edit the audio So I can blend the two better.

Is there a better way to set this up initially?

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Even after the update and getting the dual views something I really wanted. I'm not impressed and I started to use Premier and I love it so much more! I like the file system. I like how I can just open up one single project, FCPX was crashing a lot because I never deleted project and I killed me to delete them.

Joe Walker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
My list:

1. Re-instate "Batch Export" of sequences.

2. Allow multiple tabbed sequences to be open at any given time. (All other NLE's have this).

3. Undo history and/or versioning made simpler.

4. Raw support for Arri/Sony/Canon etc.

5. SCROLLING TIMELINE!!!!

6. Ability to turn off magnetic timeline, i.e. disabling snap to the left.

And yes, I've made these suggestions to Apple multiple times. Otherwise I think it's perfect!

;)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Surprised nobody had mentioned EDL export, it's basically a must if you're editing for TV/films. I know there's an app to do it, but what production house is going to want to do that when Avid can do it natively?

Pains me, as I know a lot of production houses now are moving to Avid or Premiere Pro, all on Windows. :(

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

Old post but go on the creative cow and state that LOL.

I remember this. I used a program called Web Page Maker and Dream Weaver a LONG time ago. Anyways people scorned me for not editing in notepad even though I could code in notepad pretty well, coding in notepad was what I used when I wanted to "look cool" haha but in the end I'm always a visual person and if a piece of software doesn't provide a very visual interface its harder to learn and if possible Ill switch to something that is more visual and hands on. I find FCP X to be visual and with more of these updates coming we will soon have an NLE that competes with Premiere, Avid, etc.

My list:

1. Re-instate "Batch Export" of sequences.

2. Allow multiple tabbed sequences to be open at any given time. (All other NLE's have this).

3. Undo history and/or versioning made simpler.
This! Totally agree.
4. Raw support for Arri/Sony/Canon etc.
I don't know why ARRIRAW isn't supported already...I know Alexa can do ProRes which made Apple jump for joy probably (they used Alexa footage to showcase FCP X on their website) but throw Arri a bone and say we'll support ARRIRAW as well! Only makes sense especially since a ton of TV shows are switching from RED to Alexa. Not sure what Canon RAW is unless your referring to .CR2's stills which yeah that'd be nice.
5. SCROLLING TIMELINE!!!!

6. Ability to turn off magnetic timeline, i.e. disabling snap to the left.
I believe you can do this already or at least something to prevent the snapping...its one of the pointer tools.
And yes, I've made these suggestions to Apple multiple times. Otherwise I think it's perfect!

;)
In the bold

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.