Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:25 PM   #26
maccompatible
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
They're mainly talking about app/content support. Not just "can we plug a 10$ USB keyboard into it?"
maccompatible is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:28 PM   #27
NIKKG
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.
NIKKG is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:31 PM   #28
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
They also said:


The apps are fine. I won't argue that there aren't more and better apps under iOS, but the gap is becoming quite small with the major exception of games. If you're a gamer, iOS is going to stay your friend for some time at least.
However, because of how Android handles resolution, app makers have been lazy. A blown up phone app doesn't suit a 10" tablet, even if there is no blurry text.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.
It probably rose to $700 too quickly. That said, I also think people have been overly critical of Apple recently. They have set very unrealistic expectations. It isn't as if Apple was cranking out amazing new product after amazing new product each quarter or even each year under Steve Jobs.

I like the recent moves Apple has made.
KPOM is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Hakone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern California
The competition needs to heat up even more so Apple can update their products with better features and release it faster.
Hakone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #30
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab
Just as awesome as the phone apps look on iPads.

There are a lot of Android tablet apps.

As I said, the iPad 4 still wins, but the margin of victory is going down over time. However, I think that's because everyone's getting better, not because Apple is lagging, and I am glad there are options, because options keep companies busy making things better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
However, because of how Android handles resolution, app makers have been lazy. A blown up phone app doesn't suit a 10" tablet, even if there is no blurry text.
I completely agree with that.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #31
fiveainone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
The competition needs to heat up even more so Apple can update their products with better features and release it faster.
faster than updating the iPad in half a year?
fiveainone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:36 PM   #32
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Has everyone forgot Surface already?
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7 | Lumia 530
ChazUK is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:39 PM   #33
sammaffei
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Simple reason why Android tablet apps fail

Android has no quality control. You see Apple gets many complaints for rejecting apps for various reasons. Yeah, they're strict. But, they also weed out apps that are not giving the proper "iPad experience".

There are certain things you must support as an iPad app or you will get rejected. Google, on the other hand, rejects almost nothing (including malware apps) just to get their app numbers up to competing with Apple. It's quantity (Google) versus quality (Apple).
sammaffei is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
It’s time for Google to step up to the plate and control the entire experience of Android and hardware.


Um..people have been saying that about Windows and Google now for 6+ years.

This is EXACTLY WHY Apple has the superior experience. They control the hardware and make the software for that specific hardware. They have a approval system that weeds out bad programming and bad apps.

Google and MS will not be able to replicate this for years and years IF they even go that route.
Ryth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:45 PM   #35
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaffei View Post
Android has no quality control.
Yes it does, I am the quality control.

If it's s*** - No.
If it wants access to too much of my data - No.
If it has poor reviwes - No.
If it is from a dev with a poor reputation - No.

If the app has good reviews, has the permissions I'd expect, a good developer reputation and does what I need, I'll buy/use it.

I do not need anyone else to vet what can and can not be run on my Android devices thank you.
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7 | Lumia 530
ChazUK is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:46 PM   #36
mazz0
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.
The metal shell's aren't style over substance, as you imply. They're chosen in large part for strength. At least, that's what Jonny Ive says, but given recent drop test news I'd say he's likely to be telling the truth.
mazz0 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:47 PM   #37
everything-i
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, UK
This is the essence of the problem with Android tablets, developers are not taking them seriously which is a shame because the hardware in some cases is top notch but much of the software is currently pretty crappy.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:48 PM   #38
Vodka
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
one more reason not to buy nexus: all those 720 serials/videos now'll look like sh%t on this display
Vodka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:50 PM   #39
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
This is the essence of the problem with Android tablets, developers are not taking them seriously which is a shame because the hardware in some cases is top notch but much of the software is currently pretty crappy.
Apple is at the intersection of Arts and Technology streets.

The rest of these companies live on Technology street which dead ends.

They just don't 'get' the experience. They are engineering type nerds who are concerned about 'spec' #s vs experience.

If I can deliver an experience with 512MB of RAM and it takes you 1GB, then big deal.

Its like having a car that is 250HP take out a car that is 500HP because the 250HP car is better designed from air flow, to weight, etc.
Ryth is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:51 PM   #40
dmelgar
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
This is the essence of the problem with Android tablets, developers are not taking them seriously which is a shame because the hardware in some cases is top notch but much of the software is currently pretty crappy.
Its hard to optimize for a wide variety of sizes. If some tablet were successful enough, developers would target it. Thats why Google is doing the Nexus 10. Trying to make it the standard that developers write to.

The other problem is that by selling the absolute cheapest devices that can be made, Google is targeting the consumer who doesn't want to spend any money. That is not a good starting point to try and convince a developer to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars trying to develop an app. Large companies who need a presence on Android can afford it to have coverage. But as a money making venture for a smaller developer, iOS is a much better bet. At least for now.

I wonder if Windows 8 will get any traction. I'm not sure all the licensing and distribution options and restrictions. But if its possible to write an app that works on a Windows 8 PC, Windows 8 tablet, Windows 8 phone, with a similar code base, that might be an interesting target because of the shear size of the Windows PC platform and its potential for growth.
__________________
David's tech notes
dmelgar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:53 PM   #41
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
one more reason not to buy nexus: all those 720 serials/videos now'll look like sh%t on this display
Nah, don't take that's a reason. The main thing is the apps. Google play isn't that good with 1280x800. The very thought of the nexus 10 resolution is truly horrifying
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:53 PM   #42
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.
What bubble?
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful."— Jony Ive 
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:54 PM   #43
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Fail the drop test?
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:54 PM   #44
Peppa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Trading in my iPad for a Nexus...after being able to customize the hell out of my galaxy s3 and in turn use it more efficiently...the iPad just feels frustratingly locked down.

I also like grippy rubber like that on the kindle over the cold metal on the iPad.

Apps will follow.

Google wins for my uses.

IMO Apple needs to do something new before consumers begin to shift...perhaps recent management shake-up is indicative of this.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2012 • Kindle Paperwhite • Verizon Galaxy S3
Peppa is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Yahrghrr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaffei View Post
There are certain things you must support as an iPad app or you will get rejected. Google, on the other hand, rejects almost nothing (including malware apps) just to get their app numbers up to competing with Apple. It's quantity (Google) versus quality (Apple).
Oh come on now, that's not true unless you believe the Apple fanbois (not fans, but fanbois). Google does weed out malware apps but they are definitely more laxed when it comes to excessive advertising and to a lesser extent, usage info gathering. Also, I'm pretty sure in the early years Apple accepted heaps of borderline useless apps just to pad up numbers in the App store. Remember all those fart apps years ago?

I think it's great that the competition has heated up because IMO Apple has stopped innovating lately on the software side whereas Google introduced Now, UI functionality that are useful, etc. Here's to hoping Ive revamps iOS to give us better features in the next iOS!
Yahrghrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #46
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
This is EXACTLY WHY Apple has the superior experience. They control the hardware and make the software for that specific hardware. They have a approval system that weeds out bad programming and bad apps.

Google and MS will not be able to replicate this for years and years IF they even go that route.
That is startlingly similar to the reasoning used by Nokia in 2007 (when I worked there) to explain why Apple couldn't possibly catch up.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #47
Picka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Yes it does, I am the quality control.

If it's s*** - No.
If it wants access to too much of my data - No.
If it has poor reviwes - No.
If it is from a dev with a poor reputation - No.

If the app has good reviews, has the permissions I'd expect, a good developer reputation and does what I need, I'll buy/use it.

I do not need anyone else to vet what can and can not be run on my Android devices thank you.
This is part of the blame and me-me society, where personal responsibility is non existent. People now expect to be told what to do by governments and companies, rather than thinking for themselves.

It's amazing that people prefer a company to tell them what they can/cannot do rather then making the choice themselves.
Picka is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #48
gnipgnop
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I don't think some of these sites would be nearly as forgiving when it came to lack of tablet optimized apps if the roles were reversed and it was Apple struggling to get up to speed.
gnipgnop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:58 PM   #49
Saladinos
macrumors 68000
 
Saladinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
They also said:


The apps are fine. I won't argue that there aren't more and better apps under iOS, but the gap is becoming quite small with the major exception of games. If you're a gamer, iOS is going to stay your friend for some time at least.
The problem isn't the resolution: it's the layout. Apps need to rethink their layouts for tablets, and too few do at the moment.
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #50
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnipgnop View Post
I don't think some of these sites would be nearly as forgiving when it came to lack of tablet optimized apps if the roles were reversed and it was Apple struggling to get up to speed.
I think that's because the default Android way of handling resolution means that the pixelation introduced by the Retina display is less apparent, but, as has been pointed out, that makes for a better (less bad) initial impression that ends up delaying true fixes, so it's a good and bad thing.

As far as the number of tablet apps is concerned, I've had no issues whatsoever finding tablet versions except for a few Walt Disney World apps (somehow, I'll survive).
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad mini, fourth generation iPad at The Gateway, Salt Lake City benhollberg iPad Launch Meetups 9 Nov 1, 2013 01:10 AM
iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad Have Most Responsive Tablet Touch Screens MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Oct 10, 2013 12:20 PM
Apple Hit with 'Planned Obsolescence' Lawsuit in Brazil over Fourth-Generation iPad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 357 Feb 28, 2013 11:07 AM
Official iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin in New Zealand MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 111 Nov 2, 2012 11:04 PM
iPad mini, fourth generation iPad at Fashion Place, Murray, Utah benhollberg iPad Launch Meetups 0 Oct 28, 2012 07:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC