Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad :confused:

They're mainly talking about app/content support. Not just "can we plug a 10$ USB keyboard into it?"

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They also said:

The apps are fine. I won't argue that there aren't more and better apps under iOS, but the gap is becoming quite small with the major exception of games. If you're a gamer, iOS is going to stay your friend for some time at least.

However, because of how Android handles resolution, app makers have been lazy. A blown up phone app doesn't suit a 10" tablet, even if there is no blurry text.

----------

Apple stock dropped today under $590. It was over $700 a month ago, seems like the bubble is deflating.

It probably rose to $700 too quickly. That said, I also think people have been overly critical of Apple recently. They have set very unrealistic expectations. It isn't as if Apple was cranking out amazing new product after amazing new product each quarter or even each year under Steve Jobs.

I like the recent moves Apple has made.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab :p
Just as awesome as the phone apps look on iPads. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of Android tablet apps.

As I said, the iPad 4 still wins, but the margin of victory is going down over time. However, I think that's because everyone's getting better, not because Apple is lagging, and I am glad there are options, because options keep companies busy making things better.

----------

However, because of how Android handles resolution, app makers have been lazy. A blown up phone app doesn't suit a 10" tablet, even if there is no blurry text.
I completely agree with that.

sammaffei

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Simple reason why Android tablet apps fail

Android has no quality control. You see Apple gets many complaints for rejecting apps for various reasons. Yeah, they're strict. But, they also weed out apps that are not giving the proper "iPad experience".

There are certain things you must support as an iPad app or you will get rejected. Google, on the other hand, rejects almost nothing (including malware apps) just to get their app numbers up to competing with Apple. It's quantity (Google) versus quality (Apple).

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It’s time for Google to step up to the plate and control the entire experience of Android and hardware.

Um..people have been saying that about Windows and Google now for 6+ years.

This is EXACTLY WHY Apple has the superior experience. They control the hardware and make the software for that specific hardware. They have a approval system that weeds out bad programming and bad apps.

Google and MS will not be able to replicate this for years and years IF they even go that route.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Android has no quality control.

Yes it does, I am the quality control.

If it's s*** - No.
If it wants access to too much of my data - No.
If it has poor reviwes - No.
If it is from a dev with a poor reputation - No.

If the app has good reviews, has the permissions I'd expect, a good developer reputation and does what I need, I'll buy/use it.

I do not need anyone else to vet what can and can not be run on my Android devices thank you.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.

The metal shell's aren't style over substance, as you imply. They're chosen in large part for strength. At least, that's what Jonny Ive says, but given recent drop test news I'd say he's likely to be telling the truth.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This is the essence of the problem with Android tablets, developers are not taking them seriously which is a shame because the hardware in some cases is top notch but much of the software is currently pretty crappy.

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
one more reason not to buy nexus: all those 720 serials/videos now'll look like sh%t on this display

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This is the essence of the problem with Android tablets, developers are not taking them seriously which is a shame because the hardware in some cases is top notch but much of the software is currently pretty crappy.

Apple is at the intersection of Arts and Technology streets.

The rest of these companies live on Technology street which dead ends.

They just don't 'get' the experience. They are engineering type nerds who are concerned about 'spec' #s vs experience.

If I can deliver an experience with 512MB of RAM and it takes you 1GB, then big deal.

Its like having a car that is 250HP take out a car that is 500HP because the 250HP car is better designed from air flow, to weight, etc.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Its hard to optimize for a wide variety of sizes. If some tablet were successful enough, developers would target it. Thats why Google is doing the Nexus 10. Trying to make it the standard that developers write to.

The other problem is that by selling the absolute cheapest devices that can be made, Google is targeting the consumer who doesn't want to spend any money. That is not a good starting point to try and convince a developer to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars trying to develop an app. Large companies who need a presence on Android can afford it to have coverage. But as a money making venture for a smaller developer, iOS is a much better bet. At least for now.

I wonder if Windows 8 will get any traction. I'm not sure all the licensing and distribution options and restrictions. But if its possible to write an app that works on a Windows 8 PC, Windows 8 tablet, Windows 8 phone, with a similar code base, that might be an interesting target because of the shear size of the Windows PC platform and its potential for growth.

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Trading in my iPad for a Nexus...after being able to customize the hell out of my galaxy s3 and in turn use it more efficiently...the iPad just feels frustratingly locked down.

I also like grippy rubber like that on the kindle over the cold metal on the iPad.

Apps will follow.

Google wins for my uses.

IMO Apple needs to do something new before consumers begin to shift...perhaps recent management shake-up is indicative of this.

Yahrghrr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
There are certain things you must support as an iPad app or you will get rejected. Google, on the other hand, rejects almost nothing (including malware apps) just to get their app numbers up to competing with Apple. It's quantity (Google) versus quality (Apple).

Oh come on now, that's not true unless you believe the Apple fanbois (not fans, but fanbois). Google does weed out malware apps but they are definitely more laxed when it comes to excessive advertising and to a lesser extent, usage info gathering. Also, I'm pretty sure in the early years Apple accepted heaps of borderline useless apps just to pad up numbers in the App store. Remember all those fart apps years ago?

I think it's great that the competition has heated up because IMO Apple has stopped innovating lately on the software side whereas Google introduced Now, UI functionality that are useful, etc. Here's to hoping Ive revamps iOS to give us better features in the next iOS!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
This is EXACTLY WHY Apple has the superior experience. They control the hardware and make the software for that specific hardware. They have a approval system that weeds out bad programming and bad apps.

Google and MS will not be able to replicate this for years and years IF they even go that route.
That is startlingly similar to the reasoning used by Nokia in 2007 (when I worked there) to explain why Apple couldn't possibly catch up.

Picka

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Yes it does, I am the quality control.

If it's s*** - No.
If it wants access to too much of my data - No.
If it has poor reviwes - No.
If it is from a dev with a poor reputation - No.

If the app has good reviews, has the permissions I'd expect, a good developer reputation and does what I need, I'll buy/use it.

I do not need anyone else to vet what can and can not be run on my Android devices thank you.

This is part of the blame and me-me society, where personal responsibility is non existent. People now expect to be told what to do by governments and companies, rather than thinking for themselves.

It's amazing that people prefer a company to tell them what they can/cannot do rather then making the choice themselves.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I don't think some of these sites would be nearly as forgiving when it came to lack of tablet optimized apps if the roles were reversed and it was Apple struggling to get up to speed.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
They also said:

The apps are fine. I won't argue that there aren't more and better apps under iOS, but the gap is becoming quite small with the major exception of games. If you're a gamer, iOS is going to stay your friend for some time at least.

The problem isn't the resolution: it's the layout. Apps need to rethink their layouts for tablets, and too few do at the moment.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I don't think some of these sites would be nearly as forgiving when it came to lack of tablet optimized apps if the roles were reversed and it was Apple struggling to get up to speed.
I think that's because the default Android way of handling resolution means that the pixelation introduced by the Retina display is less apparent, but, as has been pointed out, that makes for a better (less bad) initial impression that ends up delaying true fixes, so it's a good and bad thing.

As far as the number of tablet apps is concerned, I've had no issues whatsoever finding tablet versions except for a few Walt Disney World apps (somehow, I'll survive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.