Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Purchased an iPhone 5 yesterday at an AT&T corporate store and it was defective with a bad screen. I took it there today and the girl came out with a new one and then the manager stopped her and said they don't do DOA exchanges on iPhones anymore. She told me I'd have to take it to Apple. Then she said Apple handles all issues in the first 30 days now.

Complete BS!!! I said forget it, paid the $35 restocking fee and left as the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away.

Wow. Could this be because of all the defective iPhone 5s that were going out? The back of the receipt did say this.

regbarc

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Purchased an iPhone 5 yesterday at an AT&T corporate store and it was defective with a bad screen. I took it there today and the girl came out with a new one and then the manager stopped her and said they don't do DOA exchanges on iPhones anymore. She told me I'd have to take it to Apple. Then she said Apple handles all issues in the first 30 days now.

Complete BS!!! I said forget it, paid the $35 restocking fee and left as the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away.

Wow. Could this be because of all the defective iPhone 5s that were going out? The back of the receipt did say this.

I'm kind of surprised you paid the restocking fee.

Time to get a new carrier.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Sorry to read about your experience with AT&T.

I can understand their position in light of what has been happening with all of the iP5 exchanges. However, I am quite surprised that they did not treat you in a better fashion.

Might I suggest that you call AT&T's customer service line and inquire about the $35.00 restocking fee. Perhaps, they may be inclined to issue a credit on your next bill. At the very least, I would contact Apple and explain your circumstances in an attempt to facilitate a delivery of another unit.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Why wouldn't you just call Apple Care? They will ship a replacement to you within a few days.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Well really they don't exchange phones Apple does so there is no real complaint except for the defective screen and restocking fee. The warranty is with Apple not AT&T

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Or why don't you just return it and buy a new one :D

Because the credit takes a couple days and I don't want my credit card maxed out.

Why wouldn't you just call Apple Care? They will ship a replacement to you within a few days.

I paid for a brand new phone and should have one ASAP. Why should I wait a couple days and use a defective iPhone 5?

Well really they don't exchange phones Apple does so there is no real complaint except for the defective screen and restocking fee. The warranty is with Apple not AT&T

That's true but usually after your return period is over with.

AT&T Customer relations credited me $78 on my account due to the incompetent/rude staff.

Very pleased with AT&T's customer service.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Next time go to the manufacturer/Apple.
The wireless carrier doesnt provide warranty services, they just sell the phone and plan.
Apple handles the hardware issues, replacement, exchanges etc..

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Next time go to the manufacturer/Apple.
The wireless carrier doesnt provide warranty services, they just sell the phone and plan.
Apple handles the hardware issues, replacement, exchanges etc..

Your right, but I was only in my second day in the buyer's remorse period. I can understand if this was past AT&T's 14 day return policy. They have always exchanged defective phones in the past.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Your right, but I was only in my second day in the buyer's remorse period. I can understand if this was past AT&T's 14 day return policy. They have always exchanged defective phones in the past.

It doesnt matter if its 2nd day or 1st.
Unless you want to return it and buy another one then you could do that. The carrier doesnt do warranty replacements.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas

That really does stink. I wouldn't have paid the $35 restocking fee. I do think though that while they probably should have taken it back since it is an Apple product you do have to go through Apple. I know that is how the Sprint store is.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
It doesnt matter if its 2nd day or 1st.
Unless you want to return it and buy another one then you could do that. The carrier doesnt do warranty replacements.

My mom actually got a defective 3GS from them a couple years ago and they swapped it for a new one.

Last year I got a defective iPhone 4S and they swapped it out.

Never was I told to go to the Apple store unless your not in your buyer's remorse.

----------

That really does stink. I wouldn't have paid the $35 restocking fee. I do think though that while they probably should have taken it back since it is an Apple product you do have to go through Apple. I know that is how the Sprint store is.

It was either that or take the defective product. Nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so why should I be inconvenienced?

I paid the $35 restocking fee, yes, but AT&T customer relations credited me $78 on my account for all the hassle. Very happy about that, since my phone bill is $80/mo.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
My mom actually got a defective 3GS from them a couple years ago and they swapped it for a new one.

Last year I got a defective iPhone 4S and they swapped it out.

Never was I told to go to the Apple store unless your not in your buyer's remorse.

That's not how it works though, your warranty is from Apple not AT&T.
If they did it before you got lucky, now they barely have any iphone 5's to go around so you have to contact the manufacturer for that.
I know you dont want to hear that or even try to understand it but that's how it works.
Your phone has a year warranty from APPLE, its not covered by your wireless provider period.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If all else fails, just go to the Apple Store, they'll replace it no questions asked.

He did say the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away. 5 hours of driving is surely to cost more than the restocking fee....not to mention what 5 hours of your time is worth.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I do not think the carrier has ever done warranty replacments. You got to return and then buy another.

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal

You might want to try calling up AT&T customer service, explain your situation with this phone (tried to exchange in store but store manager refused), and see if they'll issue you a $35 courtesy credit.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
People should read the store's policy before hand.
d7478394638e97ece7f1a3fe13f7d02f.jpg

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
You might want to try calling up AT&T customer service, explain your situation with this phone (tried to exchange in store but store manager refused), and see if they'll issue you a $35 courtesy credit.

Read up a few posts. They credited me $78 as a courtesy credit. I'm very pleased with AT&T's customer service.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
Luckily for me the manager gave me a one time courtesy and waived the 35$ because my microphone/speaker input was completely shot and i was well within the 30 day period. OP you should of def brought the matter to a more serious level because we are paying hard earned money and its not ur fault that we receive a defective phone. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.