Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

microusb.jpg
Apple has begun selling its Lightning to Micro USB in the United States for the first time. The adapter, originally released to European customers because of EU requirements, allows users to charge their iPhones using commonplace micro USB adapters.

With the adapter, iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th-generation iPad users will be able to charge their devices with some of their existing cables.

Support for micro USB charging via an adapter, rather than plugging directly into the phone, is allowed by the EU policy. Apple isn't required to include an actual micro-USB port directly on the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Lightning to Micro USB Adapter in the US

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Now THIS is something I can use. Too bad it'll probably cost between $20-30. Shouldn't be more than $5.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Hmmm... wow the $19 USB-Lightning adapter just became an excellent deal. This $0.50 adapter should be sold for $5-$10.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
meh, and it costs Apple like 5 bucks - to distribute 100 of these to any Apple store in the world :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's far more commonplace than actually using the cable that came with the device, that happens to be a proper USB cable that plugs into every computer ever made, unlike micro USB which only plugs into a USB-to-micro USB cable… silly EU law…

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
You guessed incorrectly. It is $19.

HA! I figured I should round down. For some reason rounding down to he x9's just pisses me off. When it's that overpriced making it sound cheaper is just a little too overt, they may as well describe their margins to me in detail. I would feel just as good. ;)

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
I thought this might only function for power only but it includes data, too.
Nice.

"Use this adapter to connect an iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector to a micro USB cable to sync and charge, or to a compatible micro USB charger to charge your device." via Apple.com | http://j.mp/TqHQQS

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Remember folks:

• The chip in there cost Apple nothing to develop.

• Then, once developed, it costs nothing to make.

• And the chip only exists because Apple wants to kill third-party accessory companies. Teardowns showing dynamic pin capabilities and other future-proofing are lies.

• And USB is FULLY as high-tech and future-proof and durable and easy-to-use as Lightning is. And the old 30-pin connector is just as good too. too. Lightning has no current or future benefits, so we should still be using 10-year-old tech.

• And nobody wants thinner devices or easier, reversible connections anyway. Apple just likes to ram thin and light down our throats.

• And nobody but Apple marks up cables and accessories. All other companies sell at cost.

• And cheap unshielded bootleg accessories are just as good as Apple-certified ones.

• And third-party Lightning accessories have been late to arrive, which is just as bad as never arriving. Waiting for them is simply not possible.

• And a USB cable with this little thing kept permanently on the end is not portable. Only a single bare USB cable is.

• And the Lightning synch/charge cable included in the box with every iPhone and iPad somehow doesn’t already do what most people need from a cable.

Have I summed up the insanity? :)

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Hilarious and bizarre in equal measure, an adapter that costs more than the cable. Apple are basically re-selling you the use of your existing accessories, for no good reason whatsoever. And yet everyone thinks it's great! Yay!

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I'm happy with what was included. I know I'm not the norm, but I don't have any devices right now that use a micro-usb cable.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Remember folks:

[summed up the insanity]

I agree, but Apple has gotten kind of stingy with the accessories. Since this is the first generation of devices with Lightning connectors there should at least be a 30-pin adapter in the box, I think that's fair.

jamestada

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I thought this might only function for power only but it includes data, too.
Nice.

"Use this adapter to connect an iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector to a micro USB cable to sync and charge, or to a compatible micro USB charger to charge your device." via Apple.com | http://j.mp/TqHQQS

Which means there is absolutely no reason for a proprietary cable. It's not faster, its not smaller than existing tech. All it does is allow it to be plugged in either way. I'd rather see Apple finally adopt an existing standard that works perfectly so I can spend $19 on other stuff like the 38th version of Angry Birds.

*walks up to a kid in a blue shirt with $19 for check out*

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Which means there is absolutely no reason for a proprietary cable. It's not faster, its not smaller than existing tech. All it does is allow it to be plugged in either way.

You summed it up in a nutshell. What it DOES allow for is for apple to have greater control over accessories (a benefit for Apple, not te user).

To all those stating that it was time for change, I won't argue that the old connector was getting long on the tooth. I will still question why they didn't adopt current tech which, with the exception of a reversible plug, can do everything that lightning can. But wait. I can answer my own question. Developing a new plug and collecting 100% of sales is likely more profitable, in the long run, than licensing out micro USB. If you think this was done with the consumer being first, second, or third in mind, you are wrong.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Remember folks:

• And nobody wants thinner devices or easier, reversible connections anyway. Apple just likes to ram thin and light down our throats.

Gosh, the HOURS I have spent foolishly trying to insert my USB cable the wrong way around, I mean, it's like such a drain on my life force!

I have literally dreamt of the day I could finally throw my USB away, 'Lightning' is the way, and yes I'll gladly pay, much to my bank's dismay.... oh, you're coming to take me away?!

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I agree, but Apple has gotten kind of stingy with the accessories. Since this is the first generation of devices with Lightning connectors there should at least be a 30-pin adapter in the box, I think that's fair.

And clutter up the packaging of your new iPhone for when you unbox it? That's not the Apple I know...

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I've had this in the uk for a few weeks, and had the 30 pin equivalent before. It's handy in the car plugged into an old BlackBerry charger which I leave in there, no need to bring my only USB to Lightning cable out of the house every morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.