Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Agree 100%. I bought a 16gb anyway, but I only bought a 16gb because the screen is so inferior for reading. Next version will be killer.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Was hoping the screen wouldn't be an issue but, for me, its just not sufficient. Of just in terms of resolution but color gamut and contrast.

Sadly, I'm sitting up a return and will stick with Nexus until the Retina version is released.

Its 90% there, just needs a better display.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
All of these dumb @@s comments about "OMG I can see the pixels" are simply stupid and completely false. I've help the iPad 2 and 3 side by side and while the 3 is sharper I dint all of a sudden see pixels. You guys are out of your minds. Either that or you're drinking so much cool aid that you're blinded to the truth. The iPad 2's screen is still gorgeous. It's clear and crisp and a pleasure to look at.

I remember when the iPad first came out. There were so many comments touting how awesome the screen was. Then the retina came out and all of a sudden you people see pixels. My lord, get a damn grip. The a screen is just as gorgeous as when it first came out.

TrackZ

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
My wife is a total Luddite for technology. Got her mini all set up and gave it her. We both have ipad 3. First thing she says "it's fuzzy." Hmm.

I'm feeling very mixed myself. The lack of sharpness is jarring but the mini is just so nice to hold. I can type twice as fast now too.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
Well i had an ipad 2 and now an ipad 3. This is my only form of computer right now since my imac's hd crapped out and so i can see pixels on other computer monitors and even the ipad 2 that i gave to my dad. Before the ipad 3 though i couldn't. I suppose if i went back to the ipad 2 non stop that would probably stop.

I'll be checking out the ipad mini though, just to see. I like the form factor in the photos and videos i've seen.

roberticus70

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
What I wish someone told me about the Mini screen

A misleading point keeps being made here and elsewhere. It goes something like this: "the screen isn't bad; it's just not a Retina."

Let me clarify. The screen is terrible. It's not 163 pixels per inch. Or at least, it looks nowhere near that. I had a Kindle Fire for a while. That was 160 ppi (or thereabouts). This looks like 130 ppi. I don't know how or why, but it does. The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

I've been a mac user since 1992. On the strength of that trust and experience, I bought the mini today sight unseen. I walked in to a third party retailer and asked "When do you expect to have the mini?" I was surprised when they said: we actually just got a few in. I bought one without the benefit of seeing it.

In a sentence: it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. The screen is horrible. Wait, let me clarify: ****ing horrible.

Steve is rolling in his grave. Apple's funeral has begun.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
If people honestly don't like the screen they should be allowed to vent.

I agree with this in principle, I just don't understand the whole drama queen tirade about a product whose specs were well publicized. Was Nikos shocked, shocked to find his mini had less resolution that the ipad3. If screen resolution is such a huge issue for Nikos--having seen the digital holy grail that is a retina display--why not wait a week and look at the product in the store first? Why? Because he is narcissist whose sense of being is tied into his feelings of mock outrage. I mean, any ios is now 6 year old technology. Who could possibly get excited about anything ipad at this point.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
You have some miraculous eyes when you can look at a display and tell that it looks like it has a certain number of pixels per inch.

But please alert the presses that Apple is dying. Because you know companies that take hardware they currently sell, make it better, and cut the price are definitely going to go bankrupt any day.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
A misleading point keeps being made here and elsewhere. It goes something like this: "the screen isn't bad; it's just not a Retina."

Let me clarify. The screen is terrible. It's not 163 pixels per inch. Or at least, it looks nowhere near that. I had a Kindle Fire for a while. That was 160 ppi (or thereabouts). This looks like 130 ppi. I don't know how or why, but it does. The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

I've been a mac user since 1992. On the strength of that trust and experience, I bought the mini today sight unseen. I walked in to a third party retailer and asked "When do you expect to have the mini?" I was surprised when they said: we actually just got a few in. I bought one without the benefit of seeing it.

In a sentence: it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. The screen is horrible. Wait, let me clarify: ****ing horrible.

Steve is rolling in his grave. Apple's funeral has begun.

The screen is bad, but you're being overly dramatic.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and the iPad mini's screen is way better than it. I honestly don't have an issue with either.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You have some miraculous eyes when you can look at a display and tell that it looks like it has a certain number of pixels per inch.

But please alert the presses that Apple is dying. Because you know companies that take hardware they currently sell, make it better, and cut the price are definitely going to go bankrupt any day.

Like Xbox 360 fatty vs slim redesign

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
the screen to be fair is only awful because the ipad3 (now 4) and retina MBP's exist. Otherwise, all you'd notice is the weight and thinness of it.

As an owner of the now "old" 3, it just isn't worth the price IMO because of the screen alone.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
i agree, i'm going to wait for retina

but the freaking thing is designed and made so well

dont be overly dramatic cat

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
It's a poor display. Sub-standard contrast and colour gamut. Such a shame for an otherwise great device.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
All of these dumb @@s comments about "OMG I can see the pixels" are simply stupid and completely false. I've help the iPad 2 and 3 side by side and while the 3 is sharper I dint all of a sudden see pixels. You guys are out of your minds. Either that or you're drinking so much cool aid that you're blinded to the truth. The iPad 2's screen is still gorgeous. It's clear and crisp and a pleasure to look at.

I remember when the iPad first came out. There were so many comments touting how awesome the screen was. Then the retina came out and all of a sudden you people see pixels. My lord, get a damn grip. The a screen is just as gorgeous as when it first came out.

Isn't the iPad 2 screen the same as that in iPad 1? I recently borrowed my dad's iPad 1 and I think the screen is pretty terrible. There's no comparison between retina and the old days of pixels. Having said that though I'm still interested in seeing the screen on the Mini, which is siupposed to look sharper because of the smaller size alone.

----------

Saying it as "Unusable" is a little dramatic, misleading and unfair.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad 2 (recently sold), iPad 3 and a retina MBP. Except for the iPad 2 all have retina display so I know what the difference in resolution looks like when you put the 2 and 3 side by side. I couldn't stand looking at the iPad2 because of the low res.

I went to the Apple Store today to see for myself what the resolution is like on the mini and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, it looks sharp. It's not bad at all because of the smaller screen. I zoomed in a few web pages and I can honestly say I didn't notice the pixels like I would on the iPad 2.

I have mine on pre-order (32gb White with LTE). I can't wait to receive it....so tempted to pick one up today to play with it until mine arrives. :D:D

Everyone should try to see it and experience it themselves before passing judgement.

Very exciting and yeah I was hoping the Mini's screen would look sharper over the 2. Can't wait to see one in person this weekend.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
You should have read the forums. Many of us have been lamenting the lack of leading edge technology. The screen dates back to the original iPod Touch from 2007, and the processor is over a year and a half old. This is recycled tech put into an (admittedly beautiful) new body for a premium price. I'd just return it and get a Nexus 7. Apple dropped the ball and I'd wait for them to put parts from this decade into it for the next update.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Apple could have killed the competition. Only thing missing was the display and A6 processor. That crappy display is not worth the excellent ecosystem and $130 price premium over other premium tablets.

What premium tablets? You mean premium prices not premium tablets.

I'm really starting to think you all use your iPads directly on your eyeballs, because to say its unusable is the only explanation for this.

Tip: hold the iPad at a distance, at arms length or a bit before shall be sufficient and you won't see a pixel, and if you do then congrats you are a bionic man.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No one told me I couldn't run Android apps and Android games on an Android tablet.

It's the luck of the draw when it comes to Android tablet. Some are compatible, some aren
t. Maybe my next Android tablet will run the Android games and apps I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.