Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I checked out the Mini today...
This has been my observation as well, although I only have the iPad mini and the Fire HD.

The fuzziness vs the awkward character proportions comes down to differences in text rendering on the two platforms and not really differences in the screen so much.

Their 216 PPI isn't really enough, and when viewing web pages at their "native" size, the Kindle and Nexus displays are probably about what a Mini would look like if it had 180-190 PPI or thereabouts, IOW something between 163 and 216, IOW, not as huge a leap as marketeers would want you to believe.
Yes. I would say that because of the wider screen, actually, I am enjoying reading and browsing more. Then again, I tend to zoom web pages in to the largest size that fits the whole column of text, so what that means is that I can display the same content on the iPad mini that I can on the Kindle, only the iPad's letters are about 20% larger, which basically makes up for the 25% pixel density difference.
Thank you for that comparison. It's very helpful. It's disappointing though that as a reading and web browsing device the Mini is not great. Those uses would be my primary purpose for such a portable tablet.
That's not really the case, though. The problem is that websites designed for desktops and laptops just don't look good at native size on a smartphone or small tablet--that's why the original iPad was 10" to begin with.

You need a big jump in pixel density to make up for that, which nobody currently offers.

I think the bottom line is that you can display the same content as a 7" tablet, only larger, in which case the lower resolution isn't much of a problem (you're using about the same number of pixels per character). Or you can try to squeeze more content on screen than a 7" tablet, in which case if you're particularly sensitive to non-retina text, you'd be left disappointed.

But the real comparison in either case is between retina iPads and everything else, rather than between the iPad mini and other small tablets.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Face the fact that Apple swung and missed with the iPad Mini.

Sure, they'll make tons of money milking their sub-optimal product - until they release the next version of the iPad Mini.

But If they had put in a retina screen with the 5X (or 6X) processor NOW, it would have been a home run!

It's a pity, really.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
But still designed for phones. The graphics are scaled correctly, but the UI doesn't take advantage of the bigger canvas.

This assumption is incorrect. Yes there are some Android apps that were designed only for phones. As there are iOS apps developed only for phones. Android app can be optimized for both phone and tablet. It can use different layout and UI elements depending on where it is run. It will happen at run time. On iOS, developers are forced to build two (or is it three, or four now?) separate apps for different devices and keep them separately in App Store. While the techniques are different, the results may be the same. Android apps absolutely can take advantage of the bigger canvas.

----------

Although the screen is far from unusable, its definitely very noticeable when doing general web browsing.

One of the first things I did was go to my gmail & I found the writing to be quite fuzzy... so much so that I've decided I wont be using gmail on it lol (as I couldnt even find a way to zoom in). After this first impression, I was thinking that I wouldnt be able to keep it.

After downloading apps and doing some direct comparisons etc, I have decided that I will keep the mini and ditch the N7... The ironic thing is that people where complaining about android having lots of resized phone apps.. the thing is with the android resized phone apps they are scaled correctly, with iphone apps on the ipad (e.g speedtest.net), literally its either a very small rectangle in the middle of the screen at x1, or if you press x2 it fills the screen, but is totally pixalated and looks silly.

I have had no problem at all with regards to its power and seems to be smooth with everything Ive used it for so far (Im not a gamer).. also, hands down the fit and finish it the best in class.... well I'll give it a week before I sell my nexus just incase... one thing is for sure, when the screen is updated, this will be a perfect device for my needs

From what you wrote I got it that N7 is better (screen and apps) but you decided to keep Mini. Is it because of the finish? You will have to put it in the case anyways (and you'll be hard pressed to find as good case as N7's own case).

Opus00

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Saying it as "Unusable" is a little dramatic, misleading and unfair.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad 2 (recently sold), iPad 3 and a retina MBP. Except for the iPad 2 all have retina display so I know what the difference in resolution looks like when you put the 2 and 3 side by side. I couldn't stand looking at the iPad2 because of the low res.

I went to the Apple Store today to see for myself what the resolution is like on the mini and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, it looks sharp. It's not bad at all because of the smaller screen. I zoomed in a few web pages and I can honestly say I didn't notice the pixels like I would on the iPad 2.

I have mine on pre-order (32gb White with LTE). I can't wait to receive it....so tempted to pick one up today to play with it until mine arrives. :D:D

Everyone should try to see it and experience it themselves before passing judgement.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
But If they had put in a retina screen with the 5X (or 6X) processor NOW, it would have been a home run!
And just imagine what it would have been like if Microsoft had released Windows XP in 1998 instead! I get that people neither understand nor care how our industry works, but this is just nonsense.

Heavier, hotter, thicker, much more expensive, worse battery life than the competition would have been a much bigger problem than not going retina. You don't think they'd have launched a regular and a retina version at a premium price if they could?

----------

This assumption is incorrect.
It's neither an assumption nor incorrect.
On iOS, developers are forced to build two (or is it three, or four now?) separate apps for different devices and keep them separately in App Store.
Not true.
While the techniques are different, the results may be the same. Android apps absolutely can take advantage of the bigger canvas.
Can, but currently don't. Which is precisely why I said that is starting to change on Android. The selection of third-party "tablet-optimized layout" apps is abysmal.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The Atomic and Mercury browsers have a font increase setting that makes web browsing much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, you have to adjust the size for each site. It remembers your settings, but you cannot change the default font size.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I really wanted to like the mini but I left really disappointed today after demoing it. I could deal with the ppi but the combination of missing retina/dull colors/small text killed the idea. Honestly, even if it had retina the text may still be too small to comfortable to read (I'm talking about the browser text).

richy d

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
From what you wrote I got it that N7 is better (screen and apps) but you decided to keep Mini. Is it because of the finish? You will have to put it in the case anyways (and you'll be hard pressed to find as good case as N7's own case).

Well to put things into context, I have an android phone and also an ipod touch.

Im a heavy gmail user, and simply, I will use gmail on my phone when on the go (tbh, I pretty much do that now anyway).

My main issue with the N7 was that although the screen resolution was great, I was having to zoom in as the screen was just a tad too small. On app that I am a regular user of is engadgets distro mag.. literally it was only borderline readable on the smaller fonts in there.... side by side with the mini, the mini just slightly edges out the N7.. same with reading pdfs (in native size).

The main reason for me for keeping the mini is the screen is physically bigger, so even though I need to slightly zoom in on pages, I am seeing more on the screen compared with zooming on the N7 (although the N7 when zoomed on the same page is a bit sharper).

Apps that I was using on the N7 such as pulse, pintrest, facebook etc are just as good on the ipad. Other apps are better on the ipad (such as IMDB), but then other apps are better on the N7 (Financial Times which only allows web app on ipad, Youtube which only has phone version on iPad, gmail etc).

Although the N7 is a more powerful device, for my uses Im not noticing any difference between the two.

So literally, the mini just edges it for me

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I preordered the mini and "4" last Friday & both arrived today. Here is what I see when comparing to my iPad 1 with regards to the display:

-The iPad 4 display is phenomenal!
-The iPad 1 display is abysmal in comparison! I deserve a gold medal for sticking with the "one" for as long as I did! Ignorance is truly bliss I guess!
- The Mini is much better than the iPad 1, but falls short of the iPad 4.....but not as dramatically short as I expected. The mini display is quite good IMO!

With the Mini in portrait mode, you need to enlarge the page a bit (ie this web page for example) to see "clear" text. With the iPad 4, the text is crisp "as-is"!

One more thing I noticed: The color cast of my iPad 1 was very cool. My wife's iPad 2 had a much warmer color cast. The iPad 4 is very similar to the iPad 1 (cooler cast). The mini is warmer than the iPad 4.....more neutral.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Anyone aware of a browser that lets you change default font size? Perhaps it will be possible to ssh the Mini once jailbroken and edit the default setting.

*edit*

Looks like Perfect Browser lets you adjuster default font and zoom!

*2nd edit*

Perfect w/ font override set to about 125% is amazing. Fonts looks crisp. Night and day difference, wow. Might be keeping the Mini after all.

Last edited:

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
To everyone upset up tiny, unreadable text in Safari:

Download Perfect Browser and set font override to about 125%. Browsing will be a lot easier on your eyes!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone aware of a browser that lets you change default font size? Perhaps it will be possible to ssh the Mini once jailbroken and edit the default setting.

*edit*

*2nd edit*

Perfect w/ font override set to about 125% is amazing. Fonts looks crisp. Night and day difference, wow. Might be keeping the Mini after all.

So does Atomic Browser, which is an awesome browser.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I'm going to generalize but as far as I can tell, in general the people who think the iPad mini's screen is is outright awful or terrible are people who are used to a retina iPad or maybe iPhone.

That obviously makes sense. You're suddenly looking at a screen with half the detail. It will be jarring, it will look bad. But if you're not used to a retina and it hasn't become your standard for what you expect for the screen, the mini looks totally fine. It does to me anyway, I just have an iPhone 4 and have never owned an iPad before now.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON

*edit*

*2nd edit*

Is it a whole new browser?

Does it support cloud features like having the tabs from one device open on another?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Saying it as "Unusable" is a little dramatic, misleading and unfair.

I went to the Apple Store today to see for myself what the resolution is like on the mini and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, it looks sharp. It's not bad at all because of the smaller screen. I zoomed in a few web pages and I can honestly say I didn't notice the pixels like I would on the iPad 2.

Everyone should try to see it and experience it themselves before passing judgement.

Agreed. I went to my local Apple store today as well and looked at the mini. I have to say I liked it as well. I thought the screen was pretty good considering the resolution.

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
I have a friend that happens to be a mole and I do not appreciate the derogatory comment

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple could have killed the competition. Only thing missing was the display and A6 processor. That crappy display is not worth the excellent ecosystem and $130 price premium over other premium tablets.

zx7rgirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Keeping mine

I cracked mine open, and I love the little guy! Videos looks absolutely great and zinio, zite, iBooks etc load fast and look sharp. It's just the size I wanted from the beginning. It's a pity some people have to take a hard line against the mini- no one is making you buy one, and apple did not mislead us with the specs.

People come here for objective opinions and no, the screen is not unusable- quite the opposite, it's very easy to look at. It's not a reason to pass on it, IMHO. I'm enjoying my mini as I hope everyone else is. I like these forums for some shared enthusiasm and insight, I hate it when the fun of a new gadget gets turned into nitpicking and nexus/etc vs apple... Enjoy your mini and be glad you got one on launch day!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.