Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:35 PM   #151
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

They are selling the iPad Mini with skeuomorphism.
DaffyDuck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #152
TeachMeiOS.com
macrumors newbie

I love it when advertising is done right!

This is a great ad. It has great visuals and music that most are familiar with. It is enjoyable to watch!
TeachMeiOS.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #153
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
They are selling the iPad Mini with skeuomorphism.
I don't think that is accurate.

Do you like that word ? Was this an opportunity to use it ?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:54 PM   #154
extensor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
That's clearly a lady who DOES know what an iPad is. (But not an iMac.)

Way to disprove your own point by showing that even the world's most ignorant woman still knows what an iPad is.

----------

The last time I watched a Coke ad they showed people drinking it in a park.

I got really confused. Can I drink Coke in a restaurant? Can I drink it with tacos? Or what about hamburgers?

The confusion I suffered from that has caused me to swear off all sodas. Because, really, who can tell how to use them with such un-specific ads!
You sir, win the Internets.
extensor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:59 PM   #155
Gobeatty
macrumors newbie

Brilliant

Not a word and we get that it is a mini iPad. The second part of the duet is simpler and only uses one finger. It is also played in a higher register that makes it sound mini. It's a beautiful mix of images and sound that works to perfectly convey the message without a single word.
Gobeatty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:23 PM   #156
MacDav
Banned

Too cute for me, but just cute enough for most people I'd say.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:08 PM   #157
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

Is iPad mini a piano machine?
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #158
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCRON View Post
Woop! Now I don't have to play the keynote to watch it...
Go to Apple's YouTube channel.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Nexus 7 is still better
LOLZ.

Give me a break. You're such a troll.

Anyway, good ad. Almost as good as the new 'Colors' smart covers one.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #159
Daws001
macrumors regular

Makes me think of Big
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:45 PM   #160
jont-fu
macrumors member

This ad also highlights the point that Android devices are still mostly hopeless when it comes to music apps. The latency (meaning, delay from touch input to sound output) is so bad that you can't really _play_ the simplest piano app.

Google's Nexus 7 and latest Android versions are making progress though, now just the app developers need to catch up.
jont-fu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:32 PM   #161
linkgx1
macrumors 6502a

Meh, doesn't make me want it. I don't like these post-Jobs' ads. But I do want to watch BIG.

The issue with this ad is it doesn't really make you want a Mini. It does the exactly opposite because the fingers look cramped on that wittle tablet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jont-fu View Post
This ad also highlights the point that Android devices are still mostly hopeless when it comes to music apps. The latency (meaning, delay from touch input to sound output) is so bad that you can't really _play_ the simplest piano app.

Google's Nexus 7 and latest Android versions are making progress though, now just the app developers need to catch up.
Something tells me you've never touched an Android tablet.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:33 PM   #162
sransari
macrumors 6502

Making a useful product look like a fisher price toy

What is it with Apple's marketing? They do this ALL the time where they take a great product with killer hardware and intuitive user interface to do useful things, and advertise it to 4 year olds. I don't get it...the core of Apple fans need to be the techies...not little girls. This is why many techies won't look at apple. Many would rather chop of their wieners than get an apple product. after watching this ad, I would rather do that too than be caught seeing with an ipad mini...but it shouldn't have to be that way since the ipad mini is a good product, but they deliberately try to make it as lame and corny and fruity as possible with these ads. grrrr
iPad 4th Gen Retina, iFone 5S
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:36 PM   #163
linkgx1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
What is it with Apple's marketing? They do this ALL the time where they take a great product with killer hardware and intuitive user interface to do useful things, and advertise it to 4 year olds. I don't get it...the core of Apple fans need to be the techies...not little girls. This is why many techies won't look at apple. Many would rather chop of their wieners than get an apple product. after watching this ad, I would rather do that too than be caught seeing with an ipad mini...but it shouldn't have to be that way since the ipad mini is a good product, but they deliberately try to make it as lame and corny and fruity as possible with these ads. grrrr
I was going to say that...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:41 PM   #164
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV View Post
Purely musically spoken this ad is a bit of a fraud, because somewhere midway the ad (when the fingers are no longer visible) you suddenly hear extra piano notes (chords) that never could have been played by the two fingers.
So it's not all that skeumorphic after all. It's just an ad where the IDEA is that iPad has a litle cousin now. It works, bigtime.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:52 PM   #165
Dionte
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
Best ads in the game.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:02 AM   #166
mikerajchel
macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEpgMTn48k

Throwback to the 80's and the Apple IIgs!
iMac G3 400Mhz PowerPC G3, 640MB RAM
mikerajchel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 AM   #167
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

What's all this jibberish from "marketing gurus" about the Samsung ads being a failure? Last I checked Samsung is doing just great with their sgs3 sales.

They are highlighting the lunacy that is standing in line for days for a tech device. Frankly that is what I is. Lunacy. Most people wouldn't spend that much time volunteering at a food pantry for the needy, but camping outside for a phone, yo bet! Come to think of it... That'd be a good ad campaign.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
They're going for the broadest market they can. There are more dumb little girls out there than there are techies. The average person can't even name the differences from one model to the next.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:14 AM   #168
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
No, the point is that she doesn't know how technology works. This was before the iPad came out, BTW
So let me get this straight.

Someone said that everyone knows what an iPad is and you countered that with a story from before the iPad came out?
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:32 AM   #169
Radio
In Time-Out

OMg this ad is so amazing! Like there is this big iPad and then a little mini iPad !!!!!

So kewl!!!!
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:36 AM   #170
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Lets be real.

The Mini is a compromise in many ways
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:42 AM   #171
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Lets be real.

The Mini is a compromise in many ways
As is often the case when you miniaturise technology.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:55 AM   #172
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

There should be some fine print in there that says "This app is not included with your iPad Mini". Lest anyone buy it, power it on for the first time, and search in vain for the "piano app" they saw on the commercial.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:12 AM   #173
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Alas indeed! Reading here, sometimes you'd think that ALL the world's ills are APPLE's fault. The chronic complainers will never go away; we might as well accept them.
They're a part of the family now
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #174
Boisv
macrumors regular

Adorable.
Boisv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:22 AM   #175
faroZ06
Banned

It would have been better to just show kids playing on it, students taking notes on it, businessmen using it, and some guy waiting in a train station watching a movie on it.

This ad is just kinda cheesy and hardly shows off the usefulness, portability, or elegance of the iPad mini.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion