Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:13 AM   #176
nvbrit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
FAKE!!!!!

Twds the end you hear full stepped notes on top of what they are fingering then triads on the iPad 4th gen

Where is the disclaimer it took several iPads to play this?!?!
In Garageband you can 'layer' multiple tracks on top of each other, therefore the additional notes could have been recorded earlier and now that track is being played back in the background while the 'live' playing happens on top of it.

This is actually confirmed in the video as you can clearly see when the regular iPad is first shown that the play button is pressed in GarageBand indicating that there is a background track being played also.
nvbrit is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #177
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaximus View Post
I know thats weird, its like the guy playing it had more than 2 fingers. /sarcasm
Ever tried to play a chord on a iPad keyboard? Won't work unless the size of your hand and fingers is that of a 1 yr old

Music website
NOV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:27 AM   #178
World Citizen
macrumors regular

Well, I tried it, 2 mini's and a Fur Elise... But you have to to switch to often from left to right... Piano players don't only play with there left hand on the left side, and with there right hand on the right side. So this didnt work

But it's a perfect sheet music tool ... I stopped printing sheets when the first iPad came.. That works great.
World Citizen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:45 AM   #179
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetchilli View Post
??? are you living in the bizzaro world ?
everyone knows what an iPad does, there showing both doing the same thing, hence... a smaller version that does the same thing, couldnt be more simple.

Best ad they have done in ages!
The ads have been lacking in recent times but this one really works. No dissing the competition. No crazy sing-a-long videos with people dancing in the streets. Just a simple ad putting the focus on what they are trying to sell.
AdonisSMU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:43 AM   #180
CarlElvis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysmythe View Post
So it wishes it was big?
Weird choice for a song right?

The viewer is thinking, "That's the song from BIG" and then the commercial ends with 'mini'.

Would have made sense if they were advertising an extra large iPad, not a mini.
CarlElvis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:07 AM   #181
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
This ad is just kinda cheesy and hardly shows off the usefulness, portability, or elegance of the iPad mini.
You mean the boring obvious stuff that someone with no imagination might come up with?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:12 AM   #182
flyingdutch18
macrumors newbie

Did you notice that the iPad mini is being played with one finger only while the iPad is being played with two? The mini is not too small for two fingers, is it?
flyingdutch18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:09 AM   #183
QuickFlame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
This is, hands down, one of Apple's best ads ever.

Love it!!!
Fully agree
QuickFlame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:44 AM   #184
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.
You're only half-right. Yes, it could possibly target an audience that doesn't know what an iPad (or iPad Mini) is.

But likewise it could easily target an audience that ALREADY knows about the existence of Apple's iPad, but some of those people are not acutely aware of the iPad's capability as a digital instrument. So those people would watch this commercial and say .... "Oh wow, I've seen my co-workers using their iPads, but I never knew that the iPad could do that! How nifty!"

And yes... I agree with the MR proletariat here... this is certainly one of their 'cutest' and most clever ads in years. It's cute. It's simple. It's to the point (as to the iPad's capability as a digital instrument).

Good job Apple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch18 View Post
Did you notice that the iPad mini is being played with one finger only while the iPad is being played with two? The mini is not too small for two fingers, is it?
Doubtful that it's "too small" for two-fingered-use. After all... an iPhone is smaller than a Mini... and I know bazillions of people who speedtext on their iPhones comfortably with the 2-finger-technique.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:58 AM   #185
vladi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediZenMaster View Post
Great so then tell us what would your idea of a commercial be. Since you can do it so much better ��
iPod commercial?
vladi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:28 AM   #186
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
...the core of Apple fans need to be the techies...not little girls. This is why many techies won't look at apple.
You might as well forget about Apple if you want "techie" stuff. Those days are looooong past.

Apple aims for the midmarket. That is where the money is.

Techies are a vanishingly small group of fickle buyers. Apple doesn't care about them one whit. Apple wants mom and pop buyers - people who don't necessarily know anything at all about technology, but have money to spend. They don't cater to the people who buy street racers and crotch rockets, but instead focus on the people who buy minivans and Camrys. That is the broad demographic that Apple shoots for.

Apple products are dumbed down so that regular folks are not intimidated by them. Options are truncated and tweaks are eliminated so that technophobes can feel comfortable with them.

If you are a techie, your best bet is to build your own box and install Linux. If you are a soccer mom, your best bet is to get an iPad.

It is time to face reality. Apple neither wants nor needs techies. Apple targets middle class technophobes like a laser targeting a terrorist encampment.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:32 AM   #187
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
It would have been better to just show kids playing on it, students taking notes on it, businessmen using it, and some guy waiting in a train station watching a movie on it.

This ad is just kinda cheesy and hardly shows off the usefulness, portability, or elegance of the iPad mini.
Do you think this is the only ad they are going to create? think man, think!
rei101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:59 AM   #188
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch18 View Post
While Apple could have increased the resolution on the iMini, to make up some of the difference, it would be meaningless unless it were to also includes sandpaper, so that you could sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size. Apple has done expensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years, and they really understand this stuff.

There are clear limits of how close you can place physical elements on a touch screen, before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons why the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:37 AM   #189
moosez3
macrumors member

Great Ad! I love it!
moosez3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:37 AM   #190
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlElvis View Post
Weird choice for a song right?

The viewer is thinking, "That's the song from BIG" and then the commercial ends with 'mini'.

Would have made sense if they were advertising an extra large iPad, not a mini.
That's your interpretation. I see it as the iPad being Tom Hanks in the store and the other actor joining in for the higher octave as the mini.

You're over thinking it.
Nungster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:40 AM   #191
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
simple, elegant and catching - made me think about installing garageband and I cant even play!

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:53 AM   #192
the8thark
macrumors 68030

I hate the new iPod add. Just annoying music and just expects everyone to know what it is on about. But on the other hand this new iPad/Mini ad I really like. Simple elegant and even if people don't know what the ad is going on about it speaks elegance and has that wow factor.

One of the better Apple ads of recent in my mind.

And on another related topic:

I wonder what it takes to be a hand model for Apple? As Apple do have a lot of hands holding iDevices on their ads (TV/print/website).
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:07 AM   #193
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

This ad seeks to do one thing, and it does it very well. It seeks to let Johnny Average know that there is a new iToy on the market. One that is very similar to another iToy that Mr. Average may already have, but in a smaller form factor.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:22 AM   #194
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Simple is the best

it's an ad that show you the mini can do everything the normal ipad can do without beating you over the head with voice overs. I really love this kind of marketing.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #195
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

<ExtremelyAnecdotalRant>

I woke up around 11 o'clock yesterday and watched the iPad mini ad shortly after.

I've stayed up all night doing homework and watching TV. The ****ing song is still in my head 24 hours later.

I'm becoming legitimately concerned that I'm going to need to buy an iPad mini to get it out. I don't teven like the iPad mini.

**** you, Apple, and your manipulative ad department. Go back to making "If you don't have an iPhone…" ads, so I can regain some semblance of sanity.

</ExtremelyAnecdotalRant>
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:43 AM   #196
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Do you think this is the only ad they are going to create? think man, think!
By that reasoning, it would be OK if this ad just showed nothing at all and was 0.01 seconds long as long as they make other ads that are better. Think man, think!

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #197
lilo777
Banned

What's the message of this ad? I always thought that mini pianos were only good for those who can't afford real ones either because of space constraints or costs. Is that the reason people should buy iPad Mini too?
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:03 AM   #198
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkityoong View Post
You mean the boring obvious stuff that someone with no imagination might come up with?
I mean the stuff that it could actually be more useful than a big iPad for. What is this ad even showing? You can play piano with the same app on both iPads? What's the advantage of the iPad mini? This ad basically says that they're the same thing, but one is smaller. And I play violin, not piano...

In fact, who's to say that this is an iPad mini ad? They show both the devices both doing the same thing, and they say "iPad" then "iPad mini" at the end in text.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:04 AM   #199
sransari
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
You might as well forget about Apple if you want "techie" stuff. Those days are looooong past.

Techies are a vanishingly small group of fickle buyers. Apple doesn't care about them one whit. Apple wants mom and pop buyers - people who don't necessarily know anything at all about technology, but have money to spend. They don't cater to the people who buy street racers and crotch rockets, but instead focus on the people who buy minivans and Camrys. That is the broad demographic that Apple shoots for.

Apple products are dumbed down so that regular folks are not intimidated by them. Options are truncated and tweaks are eliminated so that technophobes can feel comfortable with them.

If you are a techie, your best bet is to build your own box and install Linux. If you are a soccer mom, your best bet is to get an iPad.

It is time to face reality. Apple neither wants nor needs techies. Apple targets middle class technophobes like a laser targeting a terrorist encampment.
That's where I disagree though...from a pure, hardware and technical standpoint, apple products are superior than the competition...so why is this killer hardware being advertised to soccer moms and not geeks? And if all they care about is soccer moms, why invest all this time and money in ridiculously powerful hardware that won't even be used by said soccer moms? It's very confusing.

I don't mind including the mid-market, but why EXCLUDE the technical consumers, especially when the products include hardware that technical consumers would highly appreciate and the mid-market wouldn't recognize. It's one of the reasons I was a fandroid for a while because I assumed iphone/ipad were weak, overpriced toys (as a result of these cutsey lame commercials), and then when I actually used one, I realized "hey, this thing is a powerful computer, way more powerful than any android product...and I can actually used it to for productivity without it crashing and lagging with every touch." The power of these devices gets lost in the commercials and actually make their products look weak and inferior, which is not the case.

So I believe apple should be doing the opposite...make their products look powerful and essential for productivity, as opposed to some $329 teeny weeny piano.

I do agree, sadly, that apple keeps dumbing down their products, and when you go to the apple store, everyone's looking at ipads and nobody is looking at the Mac Pro, which is a beast of a machine and a geek's dream. I sure hope they don't get rid of the Mac Pro anytime soon...it's by far Apple's best product and I hope it doesn't go away because they are selling out to the soccer moms and leaving their core tech. fans out to dry.
iPad 4th Gen Retina, iFone 5S
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:07 AM   #200
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

But you've forgotten one thing... JAILBREAKING
Yes, I know that Apple doesn't support it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion