Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
I was wondering if there was anyone on these forums that can read/translate some kanji for me? It's from an image rather than text so can't use an online translator. Also, I believe it's a name.

If anyone would be willing to look at it for me please let me know and I'll link the image.

Thanks in advance!

Pock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
Thanks for the reply. I have attached two images of the same karate belt but from different sources. Hopefully one of them is clear enough - I can't yet find anything of a better quality. It's one line of what I think is Kanji, and all I really need is a rough idea of the translation if possible (of the left-hand side when looking at the image).

DSCN1535.JPG

kanazawa_1_4.jpg

Thanks again.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Did you have any luck with the translation? Hope the image is clear enough.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. It was a bit beyond me, however I asked a Japanese friend of mine and she said that the "館長" part is "a tytle meaning the head of the club." And the rest of it apparently was just the guy's name.

Hope this helps!

:)

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
kanchou kanazawa hirokazu
かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず

Rank: 館長 (Highest Instructor of specific Ryu-Ha or Kai Ha)
Guy's name: 金澤弘和

Advantage of living in Japan :D

Last edited:

Pock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
Hey, sorry for the late reply. It was a bit beyond me, however I asked a Japanese friend of mine and she said that the "館長" part is "a tytle meaning the head of the club." And the rest of it apparently was just the guy's name.

Hope this helps!

:)

kanchou kanazawa hirokazu
かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず

Rank: 館長 (Highest Instructor of specific Ryu-Ha or Kai Ha)
Guy's name: 金澤弘和

Advantage of living in Japan :D

Thank you both very much for the help. In case you're interested, the research is part of my 3rd dan grading and I've been looking into how the customisation of belts has changed over the years among some of the masters. Now that I know the name is on that side, I know it is following a very traditional style.

Anyway, that's my attempt to send you to sleep!

patent10021: I take it the name on the belt is in Kanji, and かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず is the katakana version?

Many thanks again.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
patent10021: I take it the name on the belt is in Kanji, and かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず is the katakana version?
The writing (moji・文字) on the belt is kanji. かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず is hiragana, a kana variant. The katakana variant is  カンチョウ カナザワ ヒロカズ。

Pock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
The writing (moji・文字) on the belt is kanji. かんちょう かなざわ ひろかず is hiragana, a kana variant. The katakana variant is  カンチョウ カナザワ ヒロカズ。

Ah I see, thanks very much once again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.