Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes they are, dude sorry to say you sound like an idiot. Thats the design (unibody) and they don't make fake chassis, they all come from Foxconn. Do you think some kids in the basement are making them? These are all genuine, just like screens, home buttons, chassis. It's genuine.

Seriously man you're embarrassing yourself here, you should leave.

How am I embarrassed myself?

I have never purchased anything from the site before.

If I could get a cheaper place to get my Iphone 5 fixed (in the UK) It would be much appreciated.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
What are you talking about?

Replacing the front screen takes less than 5 minutes:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+5+Display+Assembly/10906/1

The back is more complex, but still doable: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+5+Rear+Case/10899/1

4 pages in of disassembly, I gave up. The average joe would be lucky to have a working phone after that. It's a complete disassembly. If you gotta have it done, you do what you gotta do. People shouldn't think it's a walk in the park, though.

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Would a third party shop replace it cheaper than Apple?

I'm just worried they won't put genuine Iphone parts on or something?

They most likely would. Apple has the straight up fee for any fix, while many shops fees vary depending on the fix. As for the genuine parts, most parts that fix shops have are real. But you could order the parts from Ifixit or a retail place that has genuine parts and then ask them to replace it for you.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
there should be a warning "not for people who can't pay attention for more than 2 minutes or cannot follow instructions"

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Accidents happen, that's why....they're called accidents. :) The most careful person can still drop a phone. Most of us are moderately careful, and I'd bet a typical iPhone user does drop their phone once or twice before they upgrade. So, frankly, anyone who chooses to not protect the phone in a decent case is asking for trouble IMO.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Replacing the screen is just a matter of removing two screws and a cable. I don't get why you guys say it is complicated. And it is just one page, not four.

Replacing the back is more complex but I don't see why a phone would become useless if the back gets scratches, that would only be cosmetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.