Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:12 AM   #201
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
i think they could of stepped it up a notch with a kids hand on the mini
__________________
MacPro 2 x 2.66GHz 16GB-RAM; 16GB iPad(third gen); iPhone 4S 16GB; tv; Canon 50D
verniesgarden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:53 AM   #202
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
ipad mini looks nice but suck technically.. it is slow and has no retina.. perfect for women and kids for christmas i will get the retina version in 6 moths
__________________
 2009 21" iMac  2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5 +  2006 21" HD Cinema Display
 iPhone4S 16Gig  iPhone5 16Gig  iPad3 16Gig
GorgonPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:20 PM   #203
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
There's a lame piano app, but no native YouTube app smh
Blame google. They didn't want to relicense for a built in app because Apple wouldn't allow ads and wouldn't share demo info about hits.

And then they released an app that is iPhone only.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #204
bkspero
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Blown away by the sound quality

Like the commercial. Am really impressed by the sound quality Apple gets from those tiny drivers. If I didn't know better (no disclaimer) I would have guessed the sound was coming from a larger device.
bkspero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:27 PM   #205
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Retarded troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobenobi View Post
I suppose you have a point in that people with an autism spectrum disorder will think the iPad is a digital piano.
Please show some respect for the retarded and/or austistic by not using them, like gays etc, as a synonym for stupid or undesirable. It's crass and tacky.

Last edited by charlituna; Nov 4, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
charlituna is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #206
beetlemanptm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Schnecksville, PA
Saw that ad during the Washington Redskins-Carolina Panthers game on FOX today. Also saw that ad during the second quarter of the Cincinnati Bengals-Denver Broncos game on CBS on the same day.

Last edited by beetlemanptm; Nov 4, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
beetlemanptm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:09 PM   #207
crossifixio
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Simple and really really good! I really like it!
__________________
iMac + MBA + iPhone + iPad + TV! In Apple's Ecosystem's
crossifixio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:28 PM   #208
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jont-fu View Post
This ad also highlights the point that Android devices are still mostly hopeless when it comes to music apps. .
Not at all since they didn't so much as mention the devices, not to mention show one

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
What is it with Apple's marketing? They do this ALL the time where they take a great product with killer hardware and intuitive user interface to do useful things, and advertise it to 4 year olds. I don't get it...the core of Apple fans need to be the techies...not little girls.
Apple is in this (meaning the iPad) to sell units and thus make money. The iPad, hell even the iPhone, has never been a 'techie' device. Why is why they don't have 'open' software you can tweak to your hearts content, the best specs an open store etc. 'little girls' don't need such things but techies feel they do.

And given that money is the goal they will look at the biggest audience with the simplest/cheapest needs. Since the number of little girls etc far exceeds the number of techies it's easy to guess what they picked.

And since a key audience for a smaller device would be those with smaller hands and even simpler needs than those that might get the 'regular' iPad, an ad that features something 'childlike' such as a song that many kids learn is in fact perfect.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
It would have been better to just show kids playing on it, students taking notes on it, businessmen using it, and some guy waiting in a train station watching a movie on it.

This ad is just kinda cheesy and hardly shows off the usefulness, portability, or elegance of the iPad mini.
The ads you speak of will come later although they will likely feature both sizes just to drive home the point of how they are the same.

This was just meant as a cute little hello. And it worked. Folks are talking even if just to beeyotch.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #209
gotluck
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Blame google. They didn't want to relicense for a built in app because Apple wouldn't allow ads and wouldn't share demo info about hits.
.
Lol you don't know this.

On topic, I bet I'll be very interested in the 2nd Gen mini - once its jailbroken
gotluck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #210
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
That's where I disagree though...from a pure, hardware and technical standpoint, apple products are superior than the competition...so why is this killer hardware being advertised to soccer moms and not geeks?
Because that is where the money is, and Apple has one single goal: to send as much money to hedge funds and other institutional investors as they possibly can.

Quote:
I don't mind including the mid-market, but why EXCLUDE the technical consumers, especially when the products include hardware that technical consumers would highly appreciate and the mid-market wouldn't recognize.
Do yo realize that the product currently under consideration uses a relatively low DPI screen and a relatively slow processor and has relatively little RAM and cannot even effectively multitask? I'm not sure that Apple did that to attract geeks. I am sure, however, that Apple did it because they knew that it was a path to making a maximum amount of profit.

Quote:
t's one of the reasons I was a fandroid for a while because I assumed iphone/ipad were weak, overpriced toys (as a result of these cutsey lame commercials), and then when I actually used one, I realized "hey, this thing is a powerful computer, way more powerful than any android product...
Not anymore. There are plenty of phones that blow away the iPhone in terms of raw power, and when the Surface surfaces (pun fully intended) I predict that it will blow the iPad out of the water, if one is looking for a "thing [that] is a powerful computer".

Quote:
I do agree, sadly, that apple keeps dumbing down their products, and when you go to the apple store, everyone's looking at ipads and nobody is looking at the Mac Pro, which is a beast of a machine and a geek's dream. I sure hope they don't get rid of the Mac Pro anytime soon...it's by far Apple's best product and I hope it doesn't go away because they are selling out to the soccer moms and leaving their core tech. fans out to dry.
There is a very simple reason for that - Apple makes scads of money from the iPhones and the iPads. They never ever made much from computers.

The Mac Pro is dead. Build your self a powerful box and move to Linux if you want a true professional-class workstation. Apple is going in the direction of making shiny toys for the masses.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #211
gotluck
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post


Not anymore. There are plenty of phones that blow away the iPhone in terms of raw power, and when the Surface surfaces (pun fully intended) I predict that it will blow the iPad out of the water, if one is looking for a "thing [that] is a powerful computer".
Really?, I was under the impression the iPhone 5 was at the top of the benchmarks.

The iPad has been benchmarking very strong as well.

I believe iOS hardware used to be below the pack hardware wise (still competitive though), but are now, at least recently, often at the top of the pack.

It's the walled garden that rubs 'geeks' the wrong way more than anything else in my experience. Apple won't let you tinker and waiting for a jailbreak sucks.
gotluck is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:56 PM   #212
kellemar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Really?, I was under the impression the iPhone 5 was at the top of the benchmarks.

The iPad has been benchmarking very strong as well.

I believe iOS hardware used to be below the pack hardware wise (still competitive though), but are now, at least recently often at the top of the pack.

It's the walled garden that rubs 'geeks' the wrong way more than anything else in my experience. Apple won't let you tinker and waiting for a jailbreak sucks.
I'm curious to know too since the iPhone 5 and iPad blows every competition away in most benchmarks.

And the latest Surface with Windows RT is benchmarked slower than the latest iPad.
kellemar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #213
Tigger92
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Lol you don't know this.

On topic, I bet I'll be very interested in the 2nd Gen mini - once its jailbroken
Apparently, Musclenerd has posted that he gained root access and done a basic JB on the mini. Question will be if they are able to do it untethered with iOS 6 or if they are able to downgrade it to 5.
Tigger92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #214
grayter1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV View Post
Purely musically spoken this ad is a bit of a fraud, because somewhere midway the ad (when the fingers are no longer visible) you suddenly hear extra piano notes (chords) that never could have been played by the two fingers.
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from?

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...
grayter1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:04 PM   #215
carmenodie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I saw the mini today at my local Apple store.
OMFG! The build quality is A+!!!!!
It is an awesome device. Don't worry about the screen resolution. It doesn't take away one bit from the experience.
And when that bad boy goes retina with an A6 chip all hell will break loose next year.
carmenodie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:24 PM   #216
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Please show some respected for the retarded and/or austistic by not using them, like gays etc, as a synonym for stupid or undesirable. It's crass and tacky.
He didn't use "autistic" synonymous with "stupid". Autistic people are in some cases not capable of recognizing things like irony, metaphors and similar linguistic devices. So the statement was true. And I can only laugh about the respect thing, sorry.
SgtPepper12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #217
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040
 
Bubba Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B'ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenodie View Post
I saw the mini today at my local Apple store.
OMFG! The build quality is A+!!!!!
It is an awesome device. Don't worry about the screen resolution. It doesn't take away one bit from the experience.
And when that bad boy goes retina with an A6 chip all hell will break loose next year.
Hi Tim.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:04 PM   #218
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from?

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...
Been pointed out about two times already that the bigger iPad is playing the backing track to the song. The mini is being used to play the higher accompanying bit.

(Look at the top part of the larger iPad before it's panned away to the mini, and you will see the progress slider moving slowly.)
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #219
Frisco
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Yes one of Apple's best Ads in a long time.
__________________
Frisco
Frisco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:51 PM   #220
PortableLover
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: england
Really love this ad. Sweet n simple
PortableLover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:52 PM   #221
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from?

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice,
I'm certain they knew that musicians would notice. But the ad wasn't created for you so they just didn't care.

As for the whole Logic Pro X etc, are you so sure that EVERYONE is screaming for it or are you speaking for yourself and assuming you are so important that everyone would agree with you
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:14 PM   #222
slu
macrumors 65816
 
slu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buffalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Aside from the fact that Heart and Soul makes me want to jump out the window of my 15th storey flat, I loved this ad. Adorable.
Agreed. I wish I never had to hear that song again. Now it will be played incessantly.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:39 PM   #223
grayter1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I'm certain they knew that musicians would notice. But the ad wasn't created for you so they just didn't care.

As for the whole Logic Pro X etc, are you so sure that EVERYONE is screaming for it or are you speaking for yourself and assuming you are so important that everyone would agree with you
Enough folks are. A check of the Apple Logic discussion boards would show I'm not the only one that is waiting for it. I'm also a professional editor that runs my own shop, so do even get me started on that.

However, we are a small niche market and Apple clearly is into portable devices.
grayter1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:45 PM   #224
rei101
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
What's the message of this ad? I always thought that mini pianos were only good for those who can't afford real ones either because of space constraints or costs. Is that the reason people should buy iPad Mini too?
Well, the ad tries hardly to have the same heart and spirit than the one when Steve was alive.

The ad tries to be "cute". Personally I need to play piano with two hands and a sustain pedal, with an iPad is too frustrating.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #225
greytmom
macrumors 68000
 
greytmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Love this ad. Cute as a button.
__________________
The person who coined the term "fanboy" needs to be boiled in honey and staked out naked on an anthill.
greytmom is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Begins Offering 'Last Compatible' Version of Apps for Users Running Legacy Versions of iOS MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 183 Apr 23, 2014 01:26 PM
iPad Mini: Patient running out - iPad Mini retina - COME ON APPLE bradkb iPad 7 Dec 8, 2013 11:27 PM
AU Optronics Catches Up with iPad Mini Display Production, Begins Working on Displays for Next Generation Model MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 59 Feb 26, 2013 11:02 PM
iPad Mini: Is ION's Piano Apprentice compatible with Ipad mini? Alundra iPad Accessories 1 Feb 12, 2013 04:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC