Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I bought a retina macbook pro on ebay on Friday but it has not arrived.

UPS has it leaving New Jersey on Saturday before the hurricane hit. I hope its not floating in the Hudson River. It's scheduled to arrive in Houston Texas this coming Thursday.

Location Date Local Time Activity
Secaucus, NJ, United States 10/27/2012 6:28 A.M. Departure Scan
Secaucus, NJ, United States 10/26/2012 10:04 P.M. Arrival Scan
Bronx, NY, United States 10/26/2012 9:09 P.M. Departure Scan

I'd guess it made it out of that area before the storm hit. Hope you get your machine tomorrow as promised! :apple:

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Hello everyone!

Just got my cMBP from the Apple store, am based in the UK and am looking forward to having a play.

I went for the 15" model with 8 gigs of RAM and 750 gig hard drive. Not sure what I will be using it for but always wanted one you know?

A little too late time wise to set it up tonight UK time so will get to play tomorrow!

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Picked up my rMBP 15" from FedEx earlier today. Got a Samsung display and Samsung solid state drive. No blemishes or flaws on the aluminum.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Further to my post above, probably the most short-lived MacBook Pro owner ever, less than 12 hours of owning it, and not even opening it, I have taken it back for a full refund as I changed my mind.

Sorry guys.

robcmass

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Florida
I purchased my first Mac today as I had been trying to decide between the rMBP 13" that came with the 128gb SSD for $1699 or the 15" cMBP for $1799 that comes with the quad core i7 and Nvidia 512 mb video card.

Basically what it came down to for me was I knew that 128gb was not going to be enough storage space for me as I plan on having windows installed using bootcamp. The fact that I cant upgrade the SSD without voiding my warranty was a major factor and I dont think I'll need a retina display as ive heard lot of issues with it already. Furthermore, if I am going to drop this kind of money on a laptop I need something I can upgrade like the ram and hdd. Also not having an optical drive was another factor.

Model I went with:

15-inch: 2.3GHz

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)

Very happy with my decision so far. I know I went with less ram but I can always upgrade that later.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
We received both our custom order 15" rMBP's yesterday (2.6ghz, 512ssd). One had a Samsung display and the other LG.

stefan109

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Sold my MBA 13 and ordered a rMBP 13. After considering the advantages/disadvantages and the fact I'm on the computer for quite a few hours a day, I felt the screen by itself was worth the extra price.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I just ordered a 13" cMBP base model online and will pick-up after work. This is my first Mac purchase in nearly 4 years and my first Mac laptop since an old white iBook. Reached a point where a portable environment is what I need most for work purposes since my employer is a Windows only environment. Wasn't crazy about the resolution size, but 95% of the time I'll have this hooked up to an external monitor, and I'm okay with that. And I couldn't justify spending another few hundred bucks for that purpose (as it is this barely got the WAF). I'm pretty excited. :D :apple:

EDIT:
I picked her up Friday evening. Great experience, despite the crazy number of people in my local Apple store. I flagged the first "blue shirt" employee I could, and after a quick order number and ID check, my sealed MacBook Pro was brought out within 5 minutes. After a quick visual inspection of the labels, and a scan of the barcode by the "blue shirt", I was handed an iPhone to sign confirming pickup and then offered their setup service. I politely declined the setup service and was on my way. Whole process took maybe 8 minutes. Extremely impressed with their service and so far I'm very happy with this machine (can't believe how quiet it is).

Last edited:

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Ha! I changed my mind again! I went and got the Macbook Pro again and I'm starting to use it now.

bgbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
Well.....finally bit the bullet and bought a used MBP 17" 4 GB 750 i7. Comes with apple care until 2014. I'm going to surprise my wife tomorrow as it's my anniversary gift to her. We had a bad experience with an HP 17 inch that was possibly the worst computer we've had. We're currently using our original toshiba laptop that's about 7 years old. It's still working but the power cord attachment is on it's last legs.

Looking forward to using it. We already have an iPad and iPod touch so this will complete the trilogy.

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Well.....finally bit the bullet and bought a used MBP 17" 4 GB 750 i7. Comes with apple care until 2014. I'm going to surprise my wife tomorrow as it's my anniversary gift to her. We had a bad experience with an HP 17 inch that was possibly the worst computer we've had. We're currently using our original toshiba laptop that's about 7 years old. It's still working but the power cord attachment is on it's last legs.

Looking forward to using it. We already have an iPad and iPod touch so this will complete the trilogy.

Sound like you went with the early 2011? albeit mine is 15, If so that's what I have and you'll love it!:cool:

bgbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
It is an early 2011. I'm going to be relieved if it gets here in 1 piece. It will be shipped insured but you never know.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Unfortunately I'm in the UK - even with education pricing, the 15" is almost £300 / $450 more.

I toyed with the idea of a 15" but I really need the extra portability. 13 is perfect size for me.

Just a note: in the UK, the education price comes with 3 years AppleCare repairs.

Read carefully what it says on the configuration page and expand the AppleCare box - they make it sound like you need to buy AppleCare for £60, but that's only telephone support. On the picture, it shows repair support for 3 years and that's what you get for free.

You might need to order from a computer on campus to get that (although you can copy the link to your unis apple store and use that link from home).

shigily

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Just a note: in the UK, the education price comes with 3 years AppleCare repairs.

Read carefully what it says on the configuration page and expand the AppleCare box - they make it sound like you need to buy AppleCare for £60, but that's only telephone support. On the picture, it shows repair support for 3 years and that's what you get for free.

You might need to order from a computer on campus to get that (although you can copy the link to your unis apple store and use that link from home).

I am in the same situation, I think I will cancel the £48 apple plan (HE disc) when I receive my 13" rMBP tomorrow (currently not eligible for return on order via online). Thanks for letting us know!

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I am in the same situation, I think I will cancel the £48 apple plan (HE disc) when I receive my 13" rMBP tomorrow (currently not eligible for return on order via online). Thanks for letting us know!

For some reason they only do this in the UK; not in other EU countries (like Germany, for instance).

The UK HE prices also seem lower. I'm ordering my 15" RMBP 2.6/16/256 from the UK online store and getting it resent to me in Germany. Saving like €500 overall :eek:

Gallion

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been a Windows fan for years, but lately there hasn't been that many machines with windows that caters to my needs. I've used a lot of OS X though, and i know for a fact you will love it after a couple of days.
I bought a 2.6/16/512 machine, and i better be satisfied. :p I've tested 10-15 rMBP's and some suffer from lag, some don't. It's not that big of a prblem, as i'm sure it's software related as the machine has more than enough power to run that resolution. If there's something else wrong with my machine, I'll return it in a second and get a Asus U500VZ, which looks like a sweet machine. Oh well, fingers crossed! :D

You might find that you're missing the thumbnail previews if you come from Windows 7. To fix that, get HyperDock. It's really really worth it. TotalFinder is a great addition too. It enables Cut and Paste ind Finder and grouping of folders at the top in list view.

saika

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Hi!
I've just bought a new rmbp, but it has 5 battery cycles
smart utility shows:
-power in hours 51
-power cycle count 794
-powe off retract count 745

Is it realy new or used ?
everything was packed like new

Thanks for help

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Hi!
I've just bought a new rmbp, but it has 5 battery cycles
smart utility shows:
-power in hours 51
-power cycle count 794
-powe off retract count 745

Is it realy new or used ?
everything was packed like new

Thanks for help
Sounds like refurbished/Had a problem and they fixed it. Return it and get a new one.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Just ordered a refurb baseline 2012 MBP 15" for $1529. Will be selling my 2011 13" MBP on ebay in a few days. Also picked up 8gigs of RAM and a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD plus a Data Doubler from OWC for the stock hard drive. OWC also offered Parallels 8 for half off as a bundle offer with my order so I can try out Windows 8 and play some games.

Real excited for this purchase as this is my first 15" MBP. Finally have a real computer to do some more intensive tasks.

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Just ordered a refurb baseline 2012 MBP 15" for $1529. Will be selling my 2011 13" MBP on ebay in a few days. Also picked up 8gigs of RAM and a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD plus a Data Doubler from OWC for the stock hard drive. OWC also offered Parallels 8 for half off as a bundle offer with my order so I can try out Windows 8 and play some games.

Real excited for this purchase as this is my first 15" MBP. Finally have a real computer to do some more intensive tasks.

Nice! Seems like you've got yourself a really good deal. I have the base 2012 15" MBP and it's a great machine. On a side note though I hope you don't intend on playing games through Parallels as the performance will be unplayable. Use bootcamp for games.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
[MODERATOR NOTE: Please use this thread to post about the new/refurb MBP you've just ordered / got / are unboxing / etc. Please DO NOT start new threads on the subject.

Thank you!
:)]

Got the 2.53 with 2-3 day shipping .... hope it arrives by Friday :D

I've been patiently waiting for three weeks when I spilled water on my old macbook (may it rest in peace) and insurance reimbursed me.

Anyone else order one?
just read your post now!, would love to know what insurance company would cover laptop damage? l am interested but been told they don't cover computers and mobiles.

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Just ordered my 15" rMBP :) Went for the 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD

Really looking forward to getting it now, during the order process it said 1-3 Business days but its given me an estimated Delivery date of 20th November, hmmm lol - Hopefully ill get an email on Monday saying its been dispatched!

I am a little worried though as I'm currently on a 13" MacBook Air which is obviously a lot smaller and lighter, but I'm hoping the powerhouse will out weigh (No pun intended :p) the weight & size. :)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
just read your post now!, would love to know what insurance company would cover laptop damage? l am interested but been told they don't cover computers and mobiles.

I have a rider with USAA on my renters insurance to specifically cover accidental damage to my computers. Think it's like $60/year for $3000 in coverage. Also covers the iPad too :)

xSyao

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Just got a new rmbp 13 inch

Glad to get it because as a college student portability was a must.

Look it towards the air or the 15inch rmbp and decided on this instead.

I hope this lasts me till I finish college :D

down $1600 Q_Q

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.