Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:49 PM   #226
kkent25
macrumors member

Anyone else notice that it has become "cool" to hate on Apple? To all the haters that say Apple gear is too expensive I say--why are you here? Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.
kkent25 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:18 PM   #227
brinycbri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from?

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...
THis is EASILY done through the apple Garageband app. You can play the piano on top of an existing score or create a chord with one finger.....
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #228
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkent25 View Post
Anyone else notice that it has become "cool" to hate on Apple? To all the haters that say Apple gear is too expensive I say--why are you here? Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.
I noticed that too, especially in the media. It's like some see Apple as the new Microsoft. Maybe it's a legitimate concern as Apple under Tim's leadership seems to be putting a greater emphasis on margins than ever before. Short product cycles are now a concern as well.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:42 PM   #229
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Uggh, someone make up a silly rumor and get this story off the top of the Front Page
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:04 PM   #230
nexsta
macrumors 6502

reminds me of
nexsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:34 PM   #231
Jmc323x
macrumors newbie

I saw this ad about 10 times while watching The Walking Dead today. I still enjoy it.
Jmc323x is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:46 AM   #232
anthonyp01
macrumors member

Reminds of the movie Big with tom hanks.

Please follow me, I need groupies!: Twitter - Google + - Linkedin
anthonyp01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:55 AM   #233
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I mean the stuff that it could actually be more useful than a big iPad for. What is this ad even showing? You can play piano with the same app on both iPads? What's the advantage of the iPad mini? This ad basically says that they're the same thing, but one is smaller. And I play violin, not piano...

In fact, who's to say that this is an iPad mini ad? They show both the devices both doing the same thing, and they say "iPad" then "iPad mini" at the end in text.
So seriously you need this ad explained to you? That unless everything is spelt out and spoon fed you don't understand the point of this ad?
That's what the product manual and specification page of the apple website is for.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:13 AM   #234
marksman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from?

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...
Or maybe only musicians who know how to use garage band should comment? It has already been explained how it was done just using the iPad but your a musician so I am sure you can figure it out.

Don't you hate when you try to come off smart and end of looking foolish or is it commonplace?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
I noticed that too, especially in the media. It's like some see Apple as the new Microsoft. Maybe it's a legitimate concern as Apple under Tim's leadership seems to be putting a greater emphasis on margins than ever before. Short product cycles are now a concern as well.
That explains why the iPad mini has abnormally low margins for apple. When you say Tim is putting a greater emphasis on margins do you mean lowering them? Like I said the mini has low margins for an apple device.
marksman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:21 AM   #235
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post

That explains why the iPad mini has abnormally low margins for apple. When you say Tim is putting a greater emphasis on margins do you mean lowering them? Like I said the mini has low margins for an apple device.
Does it? I figured the Mini would be a high margin device for them. It's really just an iPad 2 in a smaller chassis, hardware that's a year and a half old by this point. It's llikely cheaper and easier to produce now than it was when it was new.

I'd imagine its a pretty high margin device.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:40 AM   #236
Seiga
macrumors regular

Conan's commercial was much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtS...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J2A...e_gdata_player

Pretty much speaks the truth.
iPad 2 16gb WiFi
Seiga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:15 AM   #237
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it's already been posted - but I like this fake touch enabled iMac based on the ad a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EaW6IiWKHAk
MagicWok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:17 AM   #238
Neuro
macrumors regular

It's dull, sickly sweet, the music grates, actually it's annoying lol. Even my electric toothbrush has a piano app.
Neuro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:33 AM   #239
burtba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Does it? I figured the Mini would be a high margin device for them. It's really just an iPad 2 in a smaller chassis, hardware that's a year and a half old by this point. It's llikely cheaper and easier to produce now than it was when it was new.

I'd imagine its a pretty high margin device.
Actually you are wrong and Marksman is correct. Apple actually quoted this fact during the release or interviews shortly after.
I would guess in any case that it would naturally have a lower margin than the full size. An iPad of 1/2 the size DOES NOT make it 1/2 the price, this is a very normal very common reality when making any product.
burtba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:51 AM   #240
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtba View Post
Actually you are wrong and Marksman is correct. Apple actually quoted this fact during the release or interviews shortly after.
I would guess in any case that it would naturally have a lower margin than the full size. An iPad of 1/2 the size DOES NOT make it 1/2 the price, this is a very normal very common reality when making any product.
Yeah, I know. Usually half the size means twice the cost. Miniaturizing can be pretty expensive.

But what I thought they did was take the actual iPad 2 hardware, tweaked the shape a little bit, and put it in a smaller body. The iPad mainboard is tiny as it is, barely even taking up, like, a 10th of the space inside. All this time, I assumed the Mini was just a glorified retrofit.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:22 AM   #241
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Terrible ad. IPad vs iPad mini. Your now calling your flagship product to big. Yes, lets give more credibility to smaller cheaper tablets especially when the cheaper mini is how to find.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:34 AM   #242
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkent25 View Post
Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.
When it comes to computers, most people don't. When it comes to smartphones, most people don't. With tablets, the lead is diminishing.

And lots of Apple buyers liked it better when Apple was an exclusive little club. The hedge funds? Not so much.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:53 AM   #243
johnmacward
macrumors regular

The video is a Vimeo one for the Philips light bulb or has my browser lost it's marbles?

This is the second time in a week that this has happened.
johnmacward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:28 AM   #244
jpadhiyar
macrumors member

Really Amazing Execution

Apple-esque! I've been listening to this a lot many times now. A beautiful choice of the song - and a really amazing executing to introduce the iPad Mini to the masses.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:31 AM   #245
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
You'd never know it from their smartphone sales dominance. But if what you say is true, then I suppose Samsung would have even a more massive sales lead over Apple had the ad been different?
Samsung's "Smartphone Sales Dominance" does not come from the S3, it comes from redefining all their feature phones as Smart Phones and then never, ever releasing sales figures.
wovel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:38 AM   #246
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
There is no native YouTube app for iOS 6, which the iPad Mini runs.
That's only because Google can't be bothered to make a iPad version.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #247
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
There's a lame piano app, but no native YouTube app smh
It is much more than a lame piano app, these are not Android devices.

What is it that you want to do on youtube that you can't do on an iPad? The current native youtube app from google is only for the phone, but so what. 90% of people look at youtube in a web browser and youtube works in the iPad browser just fine.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #248
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Terrible ad. IPad vs iPad mini. Your now calling your flagship product to big. Yes, lets give more credibility to smaller cheaper tablets especially when the cheaper mini is how to find.
iPad mini will become 'iPad' and iPad will become 'iPad too big'.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #249
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
I was going to say that...
The Ad is targeted at 35+ actually. Targeting techies is why Motorola is hemorrhaging cash. Techies are a pretty small market.
wovel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:44 AM   #250
j.applewood
macrumors member

Mini owners - is it tough to type on? I'm thinking of buying one for xmas and don't have the tiniest fingers. Just curious.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion