Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #26
DotCom2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger. I won't buy another that isn't plain ole USB.

The Dock is half-baked. Nice but if you got to run your own cable you may as well make your own dock.
"Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger."
Hear, HEAR!

I have an iPhone 5. My huband has a 4S. I would prefer not to have to swap out chargers when we travel together. JEEZ. USB or NO-GO!
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:47 AM   #27
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

That dock is rather bulky. Hopefully someone comes out with an authorized one that is the same size, or slightly bigger, than the docks for pre-lightning iOS devices.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:48 AM   #28
realeric
macrumors 6502a

BS. I would buy a Lightning-USB cable for $19 + a Car Charger to USB Female Converter for $1.
realeric is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:51 AM   #29
DogHouseDub
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
It's a shame so many companies ruin their designs (IMHO) by feeling the need to plaster their names all over the product
Acetone is your friend when logos must go...
DogHouseDub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #30
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
quite possibly the ugliest dock I could imagine. phone looks like it's a foot tall on that thing.

I'd rather spend $29 on the adapter from apple to use on my existing cig charger - at least that way I can detatch it and use it elsewhere
Don't find it that ugly. I don't usually trust Belkin quality. But this may just fit the bill for me. Being able to put a much better built Apple cable in this may reduce the likelihood that it will break later on.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Want300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.

I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.
Yea I did the same, but since I still would like to charge my iPad and iPhone 4S (work phone)... and so my GF can charge her phone as well. I bought this right after I got my iPhone 5 along with an additional Lightning cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...ne+car+charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotCom2 View Post
I have an iPhone 5. My huband has a 4S. I would prefer not to have to swap out chargers when we travel together. JEEZ. USB or NO-GO!
The solution I found above would work great for you. Its like $7 on Amazon (see link). The 30-Pin cord is coiled, I coiled the lightning cable myself... good enough for now.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #32
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Hmmm... $30 for a car charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter (12v) from a 3rd party or $30 for the official lightening cable that plugs into my USB port in my car that charges my phone and allows me access to all of my stuff on it to play thru my radio...

Decisions decisions.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #33
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
$30 for a car charger?

That is insane.
Pretty sure that is what I paid for my Griffin iTrip. It has lasted me through 3 phones thus far.

The dock is definitely pretty.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #34
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
I really want a good all-in-one solution for car navigation:
  • Some type of dock to put the phone in
  • Flexible/positionable arm that stays in place nicely
  • End of the arm should plug straight into the car power port
  • Lightning connector
  • Headset jack
  • USB/Headset cable to plug into AUX input
So basically, an updated version of this -

Belkin Tunebase without the FM transmitter and a Lighting connector.

It has an additional USB port on the side of the base and a 3.5mm jack.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:07 AM   #35
odditie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychiar View Post
can't the audio come out through the lightning port? i don't understand the headphone jack on the dock
If you were docking and playing audio out off of speakers you couldn't do it with just the cable possibly. For example I just use some basic computer speakers to play music in my living room out of. This dock could change it to both my music station and charging station by just dropping my phone in place.
odditie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:08 AM   #36
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Hmmm... $30 for a car charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter (12v) from a 3rd party or $30 for the official lightening cable that plugs into my USB port in my car that charges my phone and allows me access to all of my stuff on it to play thru my radio...

Decisions decisions.
The official Lightning to USB cable is only $19: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...g-to-usb-cable
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #37
UtahWJR
macrumors member

Wonder if this would work with the Mini? Miss having a charger dock like the ones for iPad's.
UtahWJR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:17 AM   #38
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
I'd rather spend $29 on the adapter from apple to use on my existing cig charger - at least that way I can detatch it and use it elsewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger. I won't buy another that isn't plain ole USB.
Quote:
Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.

I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
BS. I would buy a Lightning-USB cable for $19 + a Car Charger to USB Female Converter for $1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
Yea I did the same, but since I still would like to charge my iPad and iPhone 4S (work phone)... and so my GF can charge her phone as well. I bought this right after I got my iPhone 5 along with an additional Lightning cable.
All of the above.

Nobody wants to go back to days where the cable was permanently attached to the charger.

The real question is this: How on God's Green Earth does Belkin not implicitly understand this?

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:17 AM   #39
bollyboy
macrumors regular

4 Feet long car charger

You could leave the window down and use it as a house charger too...
bollyboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:20 AM   #40
stevenshizzle
macrumors newbie

I don't see much utility here. I'd much rather get another lightning cable and hook it to my existing USB power nub in my car. As for the dock, that's gross.
stevenshizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:25 AM   #41
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosh View Post
Love the dock!
I would if it:
  1. actually included a Lightning connector instead of requiring you to snake your own cable up into it; and
  2. didn't have a built-in headphone plug, because then it would be compatible with other Lightning devices instead of just the iPhone 5 (or anything that happens to have the exact same port configuration and spacing as it). Like 30-pin, Lightning can transmit audio--but that would require them to actually include the connector in the dock (and implement it properly).

I think their price for the dock would be reasonable (I'd even pay a few dollars more) if they did any of these things. As is, any old stand seems like it would do the same.
RMo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:36 AM   #42
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Car charger would be a decent deal if the lightning cable was not connected directly, but it is. I think you would be better off buying a $19 Apple lightning cable and a $3 car USB charger.

And the dock would be cool if I could use it for both iPad Mini and iPhone 5...but the audio port ends up preventing that.
The audio port flips down, so it *should* accommodate the mini.
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #43
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Car charger silly. (thumb down)

Dock is meh.

Tie your only L-cable to a oversize base? Really, Belkin?

I would not get either for $0
PracticalMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #44
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The official Lightning to USB cable is only $19: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...g-to-usb-cable
even better... thanks for *nothing* belkin...
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #45
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
I hope this isn't Thunderbolt all over again. I can't believe it's taking this long to get third-party Lightning accessories on the shelves. The phone has been out almost two months.
I was wondering that too. From the comments I see here, no one is thrilled with this. The only good thing I see is a 3rd party has made a Lightning based device (just the one, dock does not count) so I can only hope this opens the flood gates on other company's Lightning products.

The 30 pin connector was successful in part due to the support from 3rd parties. Some like to stick with Apple while others like alternative choices.

Anyone remember how long it took other companies to created cords for the 30 Pin connector? It would have been products for the 3rd Generation iPod, back in 2003.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #46
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
$30 for a car charger?

That is insane.
Then make and distribute one for less. Great opportunity for you if you think Belkin is too expensive.
JHankwitz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:56 AM   #47
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Then make and distribute one for less. Great opportunity for you if you think Belkin is too expensive.
Maybe I will.

Look I don't appreciate the attitude

Mods?
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:57 AM   #48
jontech
macrumors 6502

8 Bucks shipping for the Car Charger....

I'll wait till Amazon stocks it....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #49
elec999
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...ne+car+charger

The solution I found above would work great for you. Its like $7 on Amazon (see link). The 30-Pin cord is coiled, I coiled the lightning cable myself... good enough for now.
Excellent choice, the dual charger is amazing. And then get the thunderbolt cable.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 AM   #50
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosh View Post
Love the dock!
Just when I thought I'd finally go without a dock, having convinced myself that we really don't need them anymore, Belkin bring this out....It looks great....I guess the CC can stand one more accessorie purchase. Looks a nice dock too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion