Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I'm not trying to be funny Duke. These threads with the Kangaroo Court lead by the Mad Hatter generate genuine anger. I don't always side with Apple. However, in this ruling I have been consistent. Legal Exhibitionism.

If you think it's so bad, withdraw from the EU and try and go it alone. You're not in the currency? What is holding you back? Leaders who can't take on Big Bad American Business? It's still Blair's fault in 2013 for all purposes?

Save it. Take us on head first or leave it on the table. ;)

Given the state of the american Legal System and the Lawyer to Population ratio you might want to revise that statement.

Clearly you have no idea about the differences about being in the EU and the Euro.

RE: Big Business: Don't forget the whole reason these Smartphone exist at all is all down to ARM. A tiny 2,000 employee UK company that's worth 10 Billion. Blaming Blair for this is bizarre to say the least. You can blame hime for many, many other things. All Governments Lie and fail to meet their promises - I can't think of one that has in 50 years.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Ridiculous noob tech bloggers over there at TNW just looking for a reason. That "code" has been there for a long time, it has nothing to do with the ruling or the apology. It's called responsive web design; how would you like it if you landed on a page with an image twice the size of your screen - you wouldn't.

No it hasn't. I was on the site just before they posted the statement and the images didn't take up the entire browser window. Now it does, which means they implemented the javascript when they posted the statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Compare the portrait views, and you'll notice it's no accident.

As I said, that happened BEFORE the notice was published. I noticed it some weeks ago when researching responsive design and look at how Apple had implemented it.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
No, Apple's first website posting was childish. There is nothing wrong with this. The text is quite large, even if it's at the bottom of the screen - disclaimers are usually put at the bottom of the screen.

Why do you think they put it there? It's to limit the number of people that actually see it.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Its legal in the uk to slavishly copy someone else's work and profit from it whilest the owner of the work is screwed. I know where I wouldnt be doing business.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
As I wrote in another thread...

I think this puts to rest the idea it wouldn't take 2 weeks.
And I believe this actually conforms to the courts order.

This changes EVERYTHING.

The new statement is magical.

No one has ever made this statement before.

The new statement is much thinner than the original statement.

It's the thinnest website apology Apple has made. Ever.

Oh - and this apology is even snappier!

You are a fantastic human being.

J.acks

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
Seriously guys? You find that this statement is Apple trying to troll?

It's legit alright. It's just scroll away. If you are trying to look for Apple news, THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY, you gonna miss that statement.

The title of this post is very misleading. Should just change like "Apple finally did it right for the revised statement!" Or something along this line..

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Exactly what I would do... stupid power move in part of the judge. I bet he loves looking at himself in the mirror and saying "I just made the biggest corporation in the world do whatever I said. Go me..."

Are you implying that they shouldn't be punished for making up BS to try and sue their competitors out of business? I guess you bought into Apple's patented Reality Distortion Field.

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Brilliant.
Well played Apple. Well played.

Cant see why it is brilliant

It is a bit tacky if you ask me and out of order.

Bit like introducing a new model iPhone 5 with no accessories, then charging for an adapter because they have changed the docking conector

Apple are losing the plot since the death of Steve Jobs and I for one are falling out of favour with them.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
What the **** are you on about? Apple wasn't found guilty of anything. The judge decided that even though Samsung copied Apple's design, the copy wasn't good enough to infringe on Apple's design patents.

So this is quite clearly Samsung the thief getting away with it.

Samsung didn't steal anything. They simply tried to compete, and Apple wouldn't have it.

----------

You guys are foolish if you think Apple is going to display this front, and center on their website. Kudos to Apple for displaying this on their home page but keeping it from the public eye at the same time! :D

You're seriously giving them kudos for trying to weasel their way out of the sentencing?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Is it me, or did Apple not include their logo, their navigation bar or footer in the Judgement page on purpose?

Seems like Apple is trying to follow the court orders but doing it with a mask on their face.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
You had to scroll down to see the last link as well, its in exactly the same place as before but now has some explanatory text actually on the home page too. Can't understand what the problem is now, I suppose some people just like complaining.:rolleyes:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Foolish move. Samsung's lawyers will probably just trot back to the court and say that Apple is still not complying. I bet hardly anyone outside of forums like this even knew about this case and now it's all over the newspapers here and on the TV news channels. That's just generated more bad publicity for Apple. Just take the punishment and move on guys.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Shame Apple are acting like a little school boy, they should man up and accept they were found guilty, but then this is Apple the bully.

guilty of being claimed by any logical minded person that they were copied?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
You're seriously giving them kudos for trying to weasel their way out of the sentencing?

This isn't supposed to be a punishment it is simply a statement of fact to inform the public at large of the judgement. British law only seeks to redress the balance in such situations. In this case it was deemed that the public could be confused as to the legality of Samsung continuing to supply their Galaxy tablets in the UK so Apple were required to publish a disclaimer to the effect that this is not the case and as far as I know the new message now complies. The original message would have been sufficient if it had not referenced other judgments that went in Apple's favour. The court considered that this confused the message meaning that the primary objective of displaying the message was not fulfilled.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
What I find most frustrating about this forum and the anti-British sentiment conveyed by many posters (what does the revolution have to do with anything?) is that non of them have actually read the judgements by the High Court and/or Appeal Court.

Most of the judgement has nothing whatsoever to do with what people are complaining about. Apple made a very specific complaint, the Judge went through it line by line in great detail and came to a judgement. That's what we pay them to do. These people are not a bunch of red neck hicks - they are professional lawyers who have worked their way up our legal system to the very top. The Appeal Court has the most respected legal people in the country.

Why do we get the same stupid comments when anyone or anything makes a judgement against a US company. I realise that some of you are high school nerds who spend all day sitting in front of your computer playing war games but don't be a prick all your life. Realise that not everything comes down to US versus the world.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Tip of the hat to Sir Michael

This is an homage to Sir Michael Havers (he of the Spycatcher Trial), Apple is not deliberately hiding anything, it is simply 'being economical with the truth'.

----------

This kind of pointless arrogance invariably comes back to bite one in the ass.

How so? Will someone not buy a new iMac, iPhone, or iPad now?

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Foolish move. Samsung's lawyers will probably just trot back to the court and say that Apple is still not complying. I bet hardly anyone outside of forums like this even knew about this case and now it's all over the newspapers here and on the TV news channels. That's just generated more bad publicity for Apple. Just take the punishment and move on guys.

Agreed. This story would have gone quietly into the night but instead Apple is giving it publicity.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
He gave them the finger, by giving them exactly what they wanted...?...

It's not what but how he gave what they wanted. Basically said, "Okay, whatever, you can have your free case."

True. But I also don't believe he would have resorted to this sort of antic to prove a point... and maps wouldn't have been the mess it was. The company isn't as stable as it was under Jobs and it shows in more ways then one. Apple might be OK for the foreseeable future but I wonder where the company is going now that we have children running things.

Oh, really. How do you explain the Antennagate, Mobile Me, etc. mess? Jobs has resorted to plenty of antics to prove his points. You people have short memory.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The judge isn't going to happy with this one, but it's legit.
more the judge could again slam apple for not following the ruling and say it is has to go at the top and be visible when the page first loads (aka no cheating) it is pretty clear apple is cheating and you would think after last time Apple would not want to play this game again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.