Subler and no sound on Apple TV? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #1
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Subler and no sound on Apple TV?

I'm having problem with an MKV file. The file plays perfectly fine on VLC but will not play with sound on my Apple TV.

I used Subler to convert it to an M4V file for playback on my apple tv but it results in no sound. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem and how to fix it?
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
chenks
macrumors 6502a

you'll need to give us specific information about the file in question. at the moment you have given no relevant information, thus impossible to offer any advice at all.

at least tell us what audio tracks the file has.
or even better, provide a screenshot of the file opened in subler.
chenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Most likely you have two or more audio tracks in your M4V file with both selected as "Enabled."

Open the file back up in Subler and uncheck all but the main audio track. Unchecking won't remove the track from the file but tells the AppleTV which track is the default. Having two ore more defaults confuses the AppleTV.

The other possibility is like the poster below specifies - your device (like a TV) might not support 5.1 sound. Then use sublers feature to down mix another track to AAC. If doing so make sure only one of the tracks is selected.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
waw74
macrumors 68020

it is possible the file only has 5.1 surround, and your TV, or whatever is attached to the aTV can't handle that audio.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #5
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Sorry. Here is a screen shot:

I'm looking to make the Norweigan track and Subtitle track the default.

I'm also getting an error at the end of the conversion saying that it couldn't mux the subtitle track. I converted the subtitles to 3gpp txt and the error goes away but when i go to play the file and select english subtitles it doesn't play anything (and still no sound).

Last edited by DaGrandMastah; Nov 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

You NEED to have an AAC stereo track for the Apple TV to recognize that AC-3 track. The same will apply to the second AC-3 track you have there. Then you need to checkmark the main AAC track that you want to play by default and uncheck the rest.

As for the subtitles not showing up, check what "group" it's in. It should be on 2 by default, but make sure that the audio tracks aren't using this group or else you'll have conflicts.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68000

[QUOTE=DaGrandMastah;16231705]Sorry. Here is a screen shot:

nm

Last edited by mic j; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: updated after viewing the above post.
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
You NEED to have an AAC stereo track for the Apple TV to recognize that AC-3 track. The same will apply to the second AC-3 track you have there. Then you need to checkmark the main AAC track that you want to play by default and uncheck the rest.

As for the subtitles not showing up, check what "group" it's in. It should be on 2 by default, but make sure that the audio tracks aren't using this group or else you'll have conflicts.
How would I go about doing this then? When i use the conversion setting in proferences to convert ac3 to aac it immediatley gives me an audio converter error (the audio converter can not be initialized) error.

Last edited by DaGrandMastah; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Ok so I finally got the audio working by using this guide:

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/co...one--part-iii

The only thing I'm still having a problem with is getting the subtitle track working. Still having a problem with no text appearing.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:14 PM   #10
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
Ok so I finally got the audio working by using this guide:

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/co...one--part-iii

The only thing I'm still having a problem with is getting the subtitle track working. Still having a problem with no text appearing.
File has non-text based subtitles which the aTV will not display. They either need to be burned in to the video track or converted to text based (srt) format which the aTV has the ability to play.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
Based on the screenshot you posted, you have a PGS subtrack - that is, a native BD one.

You'll need to

a.)

1, convert it to VobSub

2, OCR it

OR

b.)

find an already-OCR'ed track in any of the online subtitle repositories - just make sure it's correctly synchronized.

For the former, you may want to check out post #22 and #23 at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1469630
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:54 PM   #12
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

Good to know. I had an issue and realized it was an AC3 audio track not working for my speakers/TV and all correctly ripped AAC would work fine.

BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post

No - if playing on the ATV with a receiver that can decode it you can get by with just AC3. I've got several movies with only AC3 and it works fine with the ATV. The OPs problem was having more then one track selected (and/or having a connected device that can't decode AC3).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater