Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
Ohhhhh

You sir are brilliant. You have the satire perfected. I can almost see the line of people waiting for their coffee as this character you have created stands behind the counter tapping away at his iPad composing these posts blissfully unaware of the reality around him.

And for a moment I thought it had ended....

Not brilliant, jst a professor of the bleeding obvious:

The judge was a moron, ergo anyone defending him, same applies.

I doubt the majority disagree on that.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

And why would the judge be ridiculous ?

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
And it comes full circle...

And why would the judge be ridiculous ?

LOL

Because his punitive award to Samsung is being laughed at the world over and Aplle is playing with him.

Don't forget the statement on hos Ipad was 'cooler' as a foundation for this.

Anyway I have to go now to catch a plane, it was an interesting exercise...

Everyone has a bias here, Apple, Samsung... Make me laugh.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
this is nothing more then americans thinking they can do as they please

time to get tim cook infront of a commitee like we did with murdoch

and ask him about taxes too

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
what differences are there between apple.com and apple.com/uk ? other than the extra video and a few different tiles?
Am I missing it =\

If you resize the browser window from the bottom when viewing the UK website the iPad image becomes larger. rather than showing more content.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
LOL

Because his punitive award to Samsung is being laughed at the world over and Aplle is playing with him.
Apple is being laughed at yes, it tried to sue, failed and got put in its place for doing.

Don't forget the statement on hos Ipad was 'cooler' as a foundation for this.
Yes I always look at my grandfather to see whats cool and whats not.

Still not one word on how the judge or judgment was ridiculous .

Everyone has a bias here, Apple, Samsung... Make me laugh.
Not really, I for one own devices of about every mayor company. I buy what I like best.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Alright, people are starting to make up stories. This layout has been like this since the iPhone 5, when viewed on iPad in portrait mode.

Seriously people?

I think you missed the point.

Look at the two images I uploaded. All I did was resize the window from the bottom - notice how the iPad image is much larger, so it's more difficult to see the true footer? Doesn't happen on the US site.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 22.47.34.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 22.47.34.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 22.47.45.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-05 at 22.47.45.png
    714.4 KB · Views: 58

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
So i got the who brought the case wrong.... Lol

Who cares? It's not the case semantics the anyone discusses, it's the 'judge' being a moron.

Apple not found guilty of nothing, the damages are punitive. That's all

The judge was a moron so we are all laughing...

Yeah it is going well for me, I don't live in a third world country and I do know you're a pot calling the kettle black...

But just admit it, the punitive judge ruling was ridiculous... He's an idiot.

That is why the whole world is laughing.

Just admit that one last point... Go on, just admit, like the entire planet, that it wasn't just odd, it was stupid, and then I won't need banned at all...

Gawd bless Apple for highlighting how the UK legal system is a bunch of bollocks.

----------

Anything to help you through your lean war time years.... Anything at all :)

You gotta admit though, the 'judge' is a moron.... Be honest.

----------

Good grief. Collectors edition macbook pro????

The UK will make Apple take out an ad... They made a million of them.....

----------

Its always one sided when it comes to hating Apple.

Makes for fun though, brings the idiots out, which is good for a laugh...

Not only do you have no grasp of the English legal system it would appear that you also have no grasp of the English language either given the number of grammatical mistakes in that post LOL.

If the US Court of Appeal overturns Apples recent legal victory in California will you call the US judges "idiots" or is that reserved just for foreigners?

I think we all know who the idiot in the room is.

RiverCitySlim

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011

Sorry, I really thought you we going for parody. My apologies.

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
I am on a Nexus 7

Not only do you have no grasp of the English legal system it would appear that you also have no grasp of the English language either given the number of grammatical mistakes in that post LOL.

If the US Court of Appeal overturns Apples recent legal victory in California will you call the US judges "idiots" or is that reserved just for foreigners?

I think we all know who the idiot in the room is.

And I am not going to correct every typo.

I have a life away from this page...

Actually yep, I do know that ou and the other English guy have this wrong - you keep on saying Apple broke the law in the UK - they BROKE NO LAW.

This stupid ad thing is punitive, they were found guilty of ZERO.

You brits cannot come on here saying Apple is guilty of something when they most certainly are not.... You are making up facts and trying to call out people for stupid tablet typos doesn't disguise the fact that your pet 'judge' is a moron.

Frankly what happened in court no longer matters, so argue the fine points till your last breath for all I care. No one debates what happned, what they are debating is what is happening.

What is amusing is that Apple plays with them so well... And shows how ridiculous his punitive order was.

That's the only reason I cheer Apple on.

So name call all you like. Again, I don't live in a 3rd world country like you, so I have expectations that you seemingly don't: namely an accountable legal system.

Hopefully, next week Apple can put the stupid princes exposing themselves, with the moronic judge on the bottom of their web lage, since that's all your country seems to have in its upp court chambers nowadays, protecting the stupid royal right to have sex in US hotels but not let anyone at home know about it.... Lol

Talk about a confused country!

Anyway, sorry you don't have better expectations of your legal system.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Seems sneaky to me.

I'm now wondering whether the view count on the rmbp image retention thread over on discussions.apple.com was actually a bug when it went from 750000 views back to 0, or whether this is actual censorship in effect? I mean, they definitely delete posts at will over there, I'm just wondering how far they'll go?

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Brilliant.
Well played Apple. Well played.

Yes, acting like a petulant child so that this issue has gained continuous media coverage long after the story would have otherwise been dead and buried is a brilliant PR move by this increasingly ridiculous company.

What a great way to hide something you don't want people to know about.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Could you (or anyone) post screenshots of both so us small screeners can see it?

Here you go:

Apple.com
bydefault20121105at1139.jpg

Apple.co.uk
bydefault20121105at1139.jpg

Barely any difference, but the UK site definitely resizes the images, and aligns the four images/links along the bottom so you can't see anything underneath them without scrolling.

That's not a big screen… This is a big screen! ;)

attachment.php

From left to right: US site, Australian site, UK site. On an old 30" Cinema Display, the footer with contact details just starts coming into view on the UK site, but not the compliance note.

I think you missed the point.

Look at the two images I uploaded. All I did was resize the window from the bottom - notice how the iPad image is much larger, so it's more difficult to see the true footer? Doesn't happen on the US site.

It doesn't happen on the Australian site either… anymore. But I distinctly remember the day the iPad mini came out, the page did scale like that on the Australian site, or possibly the US one—but it was definitely one of those sites I was looking at, not the UK one. So that's very odd. Why would Apple remove that feature from the other sites and draw more attention to doing it on the UK site? Beats me.

Attachments

• Apple sites comparison small.png
    Apple sites comparison small.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 299

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Apple seem happy enough to respect court decisions, and expect others to, when they go their own way. If they can't respect them when they don't like the outcome, what does that say about their world view really. It certainly does them no credit whatsoever to behave like a toddler having a tantrum.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Shame Apple are acting like a little school boy, they should man up and accept they were found guilty, but then this is Apple the bully.

What was APPLE found guilty of? SAMSUNG was found NOT guilty of infringing. That's two different things. I think some people don't appreciate the degree, to which APPLE loathes the outcome of the UK trial. Designing awesome stuff, is in their DNA, and this is a very bitter pill to swallow. They have complied; it's on the UK website, and comparing the UK main page to APPLE.com, you have to scroll a bit on both of them, to get to the bottom.

It's what any other company, faced with this humiliation, would do.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What was APPLE found guilty of? SAMSUNG was found NOT guilty of infringing. That's two different things. I think some people don't appreciate the degree, to which APPLE loathes the outcome of the UK trial. Designing awesome stuff, is in their DNA, and this is a very bitter pill to swallow. They have complied; it's on the UK website, and comparing the UK main page to APPLE.com, you have to scroll a bit on both of them, to get to the bottom.

It's what any other company, faced with this humiliation, would do.

sigh.. Apple was found guilty of going against the first trials court ruling and in between that and the appeal and I believe during the appeal, despite the courts decision still being in effect proclaiming Samsung had NOT copied Apple, Apple continued in the UK and Europe to publicly claim Samsung DID copy their designs breaching the patents that were the subject of the UK case.

So YES Apple ARE guilty, hence this PUNISHMENT by the courts due to APPLE'S and ONLY APPLE'S behaviour.
If it kept it's mouth shut it would NEVER have to of posted a damn thing about the case.

Oh and I understand it, the court could have blocked Apple from selling it's products in the UK as a punishment also, so not only did Apple get off VERY lightly as a result of IT'S behaviour, it then proceeded to make a mockery of the courts punishment due to APPLE'S behaviour.

Got it now?

If Apple weren't acting like a 5 year old in the first place, they would not have been treated like one. Because instead of being grown up, they have totally acted like spoilt little children hence the majority of people posting this comparison across the web.

----------

"It said the notices must make reference to the court case and should be designed to "correct the damaging impression" that Samsung's tablets had aped the look of Apple's products."

Apple gave that impression, the judge found that injust so apple needed to correct that .

He is not, but you seem to in love with apple to notice that .

UK? Third world? Sure

And I wouldnt start about the US legal system.

You seem very frustrated for some reason, you do realise you dont have to personify with a brand?

I wouldn't waste your breath, he was an obvious troll that the Moderators totally allowed to swear in his posts, verge on nationalism against British culture, was an obvious troll with no understanding of the topic but instead went on a hate rampage against the UK.

I did report several of his posts but let him continue they did. I particularly liked him referring to our legal system as a load of 'bollocks'! :rolleyes:

lrjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2003
Come on you guys, it's the mst cossetted, insular and self serving legal system ever, certainly not unbiased because it is designed to keep people with no money at bay.

Most lawsuits in the uk are only open to those with money, note, not those with merit.

If you want to sue in the UK you cannot get a lawyer to work for any likely payout, that is illegal, and some law suits like libel make the accusing party prove their worth to carry out the suit before beginning, so it's only for the very rich. It stops most people from suing before they even started - they make them prove assets to cover litigation in worst case scenarios - and then covering costs of barristers as an extra expense to a solicitor - and their fees are enormous.

Law is for the people in principle, not the lawyers, not only the rich. The UK got out of that business decades ago.

The seperation of barrister and lawyer? Drives cost through the roof. Tons more examples how they have entrenched exclusivity so they can live off the fat and pay nothing back to society.

The UK is the worst example of any fair legal sytem, sure they are not hicks, they are protected criminals: they use a public system to enrich themselves.

This case proves that - " judge " makes rulings that are anti competitive under EU law - but there's zero repercussion on him making it up as he goes along. Judge can make stupid comments about what he thinks is cool, or great, but then make a competitor basically put an ad on their own website for any product he chooses - anti competitive according to EU, a distortion of free speech and business resources.

It will be 10 years before he is told he is wrong, with zero payback.

The UK is a joke in this regard, I used to live there, the amount of people screwed over by their system is incredible.

Probably one of the most uninformed posts I have yet seen on this topic. First of all you refer to the UK as if it is a single legal system which just shows your ignorance of basic facts. Scotland (and to a degree Northern Ireland) has its own legal system and traditions which can differ quite significantly from that of England and Wales.

Your comment about the split in the profession is also uninformed. Having practised as a solicitor there is great value in having the advice of counsel they are independent and look at the case with a fresh set of eyes. This does come at a cost but if you win these costs will, mostly, be recovered from the loosing side. I don't see how this is a problem when it discourages frivolous law suits. Also why should parties be allowed to bring lawsuits which cost the other side a great deal of money if they cant stump up the cash if the lose?

In addition your claim that most cases brought to the courts are only those who have the money is demonstrably false. The majority of claims, by a fair margin, that are brought in court are personal injury claims where lawyers are often working on a no win no fee basis or with legal aid. Another large proportion of claims will be family law cases which are also mostly funded by legal aid (of course this is all going to change when legal aid is withdrawn by the government but that is hardly the fault of the legal profession.)

I'm not sure how to respond to your comments about competition law but you are simply wrong about how competition law works and I suggest you look up a book on the subject but the High Court and Court of Appeal's decision can hardly be said to be anti-competitive. As to your claim that it is a breach of freedom of speech, that right is not absolute and the judges gave reasons as to why the publicity order in this case was fair just and reasonable. Perhaps you should tell us why those reasons are wrong instead of waffling.

MacGit

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, England
sigh.. Apple was found guilty of going against the first trials court ruling and in between that and the appeal and I believe during the appeal, despite the courts decision still being in effect proclaiming Samsung had NOT copied Apple, Apple continued in the UK and Europe to publicly claim Samsung DID copy their designs breaching the patents that were the subject of the UK case.

So YES Apple ARE guilty, hence this PUNISHMENT by the courts due to APPLE'S and ONLY APPLE'S behaviour.
If it kept it's mouth shut it would NEVER have to of posted a damn thing about the case.

Oh and I understand it, the court could have blocked Apple from selling it's products in the UK as a punishment also, so not only did Apple get off VERY lightly as a result of IT'S behaviour, it then proceeded to make a mockery of the courts punishment due to APPLE'S behaviour.

Got it now?

If Apple weren't acting like a 5 year old in the first place, they would not have been treated like one. Because instead of being grown up, they have totally acted like spoilt little children hence the majority of people posting this comparison across the web.

----------

I wouldn't waste your breath, he was an obvious troll that the Moderators totally allowed to swear in his posts, verge on nationalism against British culture, was an obvious troll with no understanding of the topic but instead went on a hate rampage against the UK.

I did report several of his posts but let him continue they did. I particularly liked him referring to our legal system as a load of 'bollocks'! :rolleyes:

I agree completely. There appeared to be no Moderation on here at all - either that, or more likely, the Moderation was in sympathy with the anti-Brit sentiment. A sad day really because wherever this issue is being discussed and debated, the main casualty has been Anglo-US relationships caused by a minority of idiots who want to turn arguments about iPads and iPhones into an anti-British hate campaign. Crazy and unjust.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Fair, next.

Seriously, can't blame Apple for trolling that troll judge back. :D

Urm, yes you can blame Apple. Are they above the law? Do they not have to comply with the laws of the countries in which they sell their goods? Of course they do.

Was clear from the start that Apple would have to alter their original statement as the UK court won't be taken for idiots by them.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Urm, yes you can blame Apple. Are they above the law? Do they not have to comply with the laws of the countries in which they sell their goods? Of course they do.

Was clear from the start that Apple would have to alter their original statement as the UK court won't be taken for idiots by them.

I bet you've never broken a law in your entire life. xD

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I bet you've never broken a law in your entire life. xD

Not one that required me to sit in a courtroom and comply with an instruction from a high court judge anyway. :p

Simple fact is Apple can't screw with the law, they will have to comply to a satisfactory standard with the UK courts. I can honestly see them forcing Apple to move the entire worded statement, rather than a link, to the top of their UK homepage, just because of the way they are trying to worm out of a public apology.

The courts ordered them to do this so that people are made aware that their claims against Samsung were inaccurate. If the judges don't feel this has been done they will keep forcing Apple to change it until it has been. Apple just need to suck it up and comply, there are no more appeals options. I don't see the courts being happy with the current apology as it is nothing more than a hidden link. They will require the text of the apology on the first page as ordered.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Thank you for posting this, Arn.

----------

I for one am happy that Apple is remembering their roots and not conforming like sheep to the court after a silly ruling like that.
Bravo Apple.

According to the judge, Apple libeled Samsung. They should be damn happy the judge didn't make them pay for losses incurred during the legal battle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.