Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
The Maps app takes it data from a central server, where changes can be made at will by Apple. An update to iOS does not bring actual changes to the Maps data, as this can be done at any time on the server itself.

The new data, if any, seems to have coincided with iOS 6.0.1's release rather than have been caused by it.

This.

Although, the data that was cached into your phone could've been cleared when you updated... Causing updates to appear.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
York's satellite imagery is greatly improved. It's now in colour. View attachment 374248

That's odd I was able to see NY in color on day one

----------

Because Apple is based in North America and their largest markets are in the western hemisphere. Plus not to sound racist but asians have a huge knockoff apple product market going on.

I know for sure Apple has made adjustments to its map in thailand and the Philippines

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Hope people send in corrections for the missing POIs.

No, of course it won't work, but we've had fanboys on here saying for months it somehow magically will.

That would work if they trusted our corrections and allowed them to be applied in real time.

I could have fixed my hometown single-handedly except they haven't applied a single one of my corrections.

So that's not real crowdsourcing.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
That would work if they trusted our corrections and allowed them to be applied in real time.

I could have fixed my hometown single-handedly except they haven't applied a single one of my corrections.

So that's not real crowdsourcing.

True except people could abuse the system

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The Maps app takes it data from a central server, where changes can be made at will by Apple. An update to iOS does not bring actual changes to the Maps data, as this can be done at any time on the server itself.

The new data, if any, seems to have coincided with iOS 6.0.1's release rather than have been caused by it.

I would agree, but this is the same pattern we saw with the betas. New beta and better maps.

I hope that improvements for maps overseas (non US) is being updated daily since so many people reported issues.

----------

Still pathetic where I live. Satellite view is blurry and in black and white. I'm in North America.

Pathetic. Apple has the largest war chest of any tech company in the world but can't be bothered to purchase colour satellite images for a relatively populous area?

Where are you in the US? So we can look for ourselves.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I would agree, but this is the same pattern we saw with the betas. New beta and better maps.

I hope that improvements for maps overseas (non US) is being updated daily since so many people reported issues.

I still haven't updated to 6.0.1 but can still see the improvements from last week. It's just a pity there weren't more of them.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Because Apple is based in North America and their largest markets are in the western hemisphere. Plus not to sound racist but asians have a huge knockoff apple product market going on.

Well, you succeeded in sounding racist, and Apple should start updating maps in that part of the world.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
so facts are racist now? Are you one of those people that get offended over everything?

naw...just that Asians are a description of people. China is a country.

Not all Asians are (as you put it) selling knock offs. Maybe you have an issue with the language, but what you wrote seemed racist - regardless of what you meant to say.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
naw...just that Asians are a description of people. China is a country.

Not all Asians are (as you put it) selling knock offs. Maybe you have an issue with the language, but what you wrote seemed racist - regardless of what you meant to say.

Why lie and isolate it only to the chinese? Most asian countries have some sort of knock off thing going on. If they focused on asian maps people would complain that they're getting ignored

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
A nice military saying: "Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups."

As long as you have no hard data, you are assuming most Asian countries have a knock-off market. You think/assume but do not know.

When you assume stuff, don't be so arrogant to act like you actually know. It will avoid many useles discussions.

Cheers,

BlankStar.

PS let's get back on topic now, shall we?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
My town has been improved too. Previously it was a low quality black & white image. Now its a very acceptable colour image.

When you consider the sheer volume of data they have to update Id say that Apple are probably fixing things very fast.

After all just consider the size of the planet, yet we are all from different parts of the world all confirming improvements.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was disappointed to learn yesterday that Apple Maps has none of the county trash/recycling centers in its database. I had to open Google Maps to find my local one.

It's the first time Apple Maps has failed me. Which is sad because it's been fairly excellent until then!

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
So it seems apple maps are not only BAD, but actually getting WORSE!

Just looked at my area again to see if they corrected my, erm, corrections (they haven't) but now it seems they replaced the approx 1 year old satellite images with 10 YEAR OLD satellite images.

Nice one apple, REALLY well done.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.