Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Hi guys,
I'll be in the US and I was wondering can I just activate an AT&T iPad sim card in an iPad with data and then just use it in my iPhone? (My phone is unlocked)

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
You can use an iPad sim card in an iPhone, but you cannot just have data on the phone. At&t will scan the information and will either notify you that you need a voice plan, or will automatically add a plan.

----------

Oh, check out this thread, I could be misinformed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1261808/

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
You can use an iPad sim card in an iPhone, but you cannot just have data on the phone. At&t will scan the information and will either notify you that you need a voice plan, or will automatically add a plan.

----------

Oh, check out this thread, I could be misinformed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1261808/

Yep....you're wrong. I had an iPhone 4 with an iPad sim in it for almost a year. No problems at all.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I heard about people getting caught by AT&T doing that and having their account shut off.
Its doable but it comes with a risk.

Wyou are getting confused. And mixed up.

AT&T wil audit customers using the sim from their phone and putting it in a tablet (any tablet device including iPad for data). If they audit u AT&T will disable the data on your iPhone data plan for a month and tell u not to do it again.

But the other way around works (iPad sim to iPhone for data). You just won't get voice.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wyou are getting confused. And mixed up.

AT&T wil audit customers using the sim from their phone and putting it in a tablet (any tablet device including iPad for data). If they audit u AT&T will disable the data on your iPhone data plan for a month and tell u not to do it again.

But the other way around works (iPad sim to iPhone for data). You just won't get voice.

Oh I see.
I thought they didn't allow any kind of sim swapping.

tgcken

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Would it be possible to set up a data plan for iPad without owning an iPad?

(I would like to request a replacement microSim for ipad, start a $15/m plan and use it on my iphone instead of ipad.)

Munchiemonster

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Of course it had data only.

My ipad SIM card is in a spare iPhone right now. I pay $15 for 340mb per month. And Guess what? It has voice. Only it's 75 cents per minute.
Even ipad plans have voice and the iPad has a phone number too. It sounds strange but its phone number is listed right under settings. Calls are insanely expensive and texts are charged for as well.

A1Yola

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Just tried to put an iPad sim into a 4s, it said I needed to activate the phone, then it said the sim wasn't supported. My phone is prepaid Virgin mobile

andrey226

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm going to be travelling to the Lake Tahoe area in about a week, and I was wondering if it's possible to pick up these iPad data sim cards if I'm not a resident of the US? I'm coming from Canada and I want data on my iPhone 5, so I was thinking of activating one of these on my iPad and then popping it into the unlocked phone. Can anyone confirm if this still works? The ATT website won't let me get to the checkout step unless I choose a device, which I don't need.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I just recently tried putting my iPad 1's AT&T 3G SIM in an AT&T IMEI unlocked iPhone 4 and it didn't work. It showed signal, but data didn't work. Maybe because that iPad was on my Mobile Share plan and there is a different price for iPad($10) vs an iPhone ($30)????

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
I just recently tried putting my iPad 1's AT&T 3G SIM in an AT&T IMEI unlocked iPhone 4 and it didn't work. It showed signal, but data didn't work. Maybe because that iPad was on my Mobile Share plan and there is a different price for iPad($10) vs an iPhone ($30)????

Apn settings.

Unlockit.co.nz or manually.

My ipad SIM card is in a spare iPhone right now. I pay $15 for 340mb per month. And Guess what? It has voice. Only it's 75 cents per minute.
Even ipad plans have voice and the iPad has a phone number too. It sounds strange but its phone number is listed right under settings. Calls are insanely expensive and texts are charged for as well.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Can you provide proof?

I've had 3 ipad sims in 3 different iphones over the 4 year life of my unlimited plan. None of them got voice.

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Damn, my post is a year old. Lol. Yeah, I figured out the APN setting long ago. Thanks!

Whoop! My bad.

I really would LOVE to have pay-per-minute voice on my ipad sim. But I don't think that's happening unless that dude can provide some more info

andrestb

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
HELLO LADS - listen...... I have iPad Air 2 and have an extra Apple SIM - activated it under T-Mobile and it WORKS on my iPhone 5. The new development is that you can sign up for any data plan OR enjoy the free T-Mobile 200mb option "for life" .... so yes, the new development is that Google Hangouts (with Google Voice Number) can be used under the data, and at 35mb per HOUR VOICE CALLS in Hangouts gives you around 400 minutes FREE CALLS for the 200mb free plan - what's apps, iMessages & Hangouts SMS are KB's and can send loads for FREE...... Google Hangouts in iOS for both iPad and iPhone is a much better experience than that of ANDROID...... can you believe it!!!! so there.... that's the update on this thread..... this has been possible since Hangouts launch in March 2015..... so everyone is 1 year late to the party!!!!
[doublepost=1458839240][/doublepost]one more thing... the quality of the voice calls in hangouts is better than any cell phone network as cell phone network calls uses legacy tech from the 80's.... the carriers have not upgraded to LTE properly (data voice, which was promised) and the codec used by hangouts leads to HD quality voice.... which is the same codec as the super expensive CISCO IP phones in everyone's office desks ....... happy calling!!!!! if you need an Apple SIM, pop over to an Apple Store, pay 5 bux, activate it in somebody's iPad AIR 2..... then swap it to your old iPhone 5's gathering dust..... and voila !!!

thitchen

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2016
Hi andrestb,

Can you use t-mobile sim card from ipad on an iphone? Mine seems blocked by t-mobile. The iphone cannot connect to LTE at all with that sim card. Thank you.

HELLO LADS - listen...... I have iPad Air 2 and have an extra Apple SIM - activated it under T-Mobile and it WORKS on my iPhone 5. The new development is that you can sign up for any data plan OR enjoy the free T-Mobile 200mb option "for life" .... so yes, the new development is that Google Hangouts (with Google Voice Number) can be used under the data, and at 35mb per HOUR VOICE CALLS in Hangouts gives you around 400 minutes FREE CALLS for the 200mb free plan - what's apps, iMessages & Hangouts SMS are KB's and can send loads for FREE...... Google Hangouts in iOS for both iPad and iPhone is a much better experience than that of ANDROID...... can you believe it!!!! so there.... that's the update on this thread..... this has been possible since Hangouts launch in March 2015..... so everyone is 1 year late to the party!!!!
[doublepost=1458839240][/doublepost]one more thing... the quality of the voice calls in hangouts is better than any cell phone network as cell phone network calls uses legacy tech from the 80's.... the carriers have not upgraded to LTE properly (data voice, which was promised) and the codec used by hangouts leads to HD quality voice.... which is the same codec as the super expensive CISCO IP phones in everyone's office desks ....... happy calling!!!!! if you need an Apple SIM, pop over to an Apple Store, pay 5 bux, activate it in somebody's iPad AIR 2..... then swap it to your old iPhone 5's gathering dust..... and voila !!!

andrestb

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
Yea you can.... just get a phone number using hangouts from google ...... even if you get the apple sim 5 gigs for 5 months sample..... put the apple sim in the iPhone and data and hangouts phone calls works.... the apple sim will not work on an iPhone on the free 200mb / month deal.... but if you activate the monthly charge it WILL work

Hi guys,
I'll be in the US and I was wondering can I just activate an AT&T iPad sim card in an iPad with data and then just use it in my iPhone? (My phone is unlocked)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Not sure if anything has changed or if certain iPad plans are just different, but I know the old $30 iPad unlimited data plan works fine in an iPhone, but the new tablet unlimited data plan does not.

I tried putting my iPad's SIM card with unlimited data on AT&T in multiple phones and it doesn't work.

Ethingnow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
Has anyone gotten an iPad data AT&T 30 bucks a month unlimited data to work in there cell phones? And does AT&T cancel plan if the find out? And has anyone been caught

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.