Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:25 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AU Optronics Developing Retina Display for Second-Generation iPad Mini?

SlashGear reports on an article [Google translation] from Chinese site DoNews claiming that Apple's iPad mini display partner AU Optronics has a Retina-resolution display in the pipeline for the next generation of the device, which is expected to be launched next year. There has been considerable discussion about how quickly Apple might be able to move to a Retina display in the device, and today's report suggests that Apple may not have to wait several generations to make the jump as it did with its other iOS devices.

A separate report from MENAFN claims that AU Optronics will be adopting indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) and Gate IC on array (GOA) technologies in order to reach the Retina resolution in a thin design required for the iPad mini.
Quote:
It is said that ultrahigh resolution can not be developed without the technology of indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO), and the technology of Gate IC on array (GOA) is also indispensable since the next-generation iPad Mini will have an ultra-narrow frame. The technology of GOA helps save the room of IC on the rim and narrow the frame of the screen to the largest extent.

Speaking of the progress of the development of iPad Mini, AUO claimed that it had solved the problem of yield and there would be no light leak as existed before. The company would ship the products in large scale in the fourth quarter.
One major issue with both of the reports is confusion over the pixel density on these panels. Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone. MENAFN also misstates the density of the full-size iPad's display as 326 ppi, while DoNews correctly lists it as 264 ppi.

Article Link: AU Optronics Developing Retina Display for Second-Generation iPad Mini?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:26 AM   #2
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Either way; I'm waiting for the Retina Mini.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

I'm not surprised, Retina is the lifeline of Apple, a upcoming Mini should have that.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:28 AM   #4
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

The sooner, the better.
JaySoul is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?
MacVault is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

The next mini comes in April with Retina display.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:29 AM   #7
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:30 AM   #8
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

They leak it anyway because the general public doesnt follow this stuff and the Apple fans are going to buy it regardless.
AdonisSMU is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:30 AM   #9
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post

I agree with this. And the iPad 5th gen
applefanDrew is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #10
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsienna View Post
I can't understand these chinese manufacturers that leak all this info. Don't they understand that in the end they are hurting their revenue?
They don't care what Apple is going to do to hunt down their revenue, but they just want to be the FIRST to leak these info.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #11
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?
Is that a serious question?
AdonisSMU is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #12
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

Typical Apple, extracting all consumer surplus!
luqtotheman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Because a panel probably didn't exist...
Also means that that dev's don't have to change any (much) code as it's the same res as ipad 2

Does mean that when the mini 2 comes out they will have 2 products as they do with ipad 2 and 4 probably and can compete better with other 7" tabs
prowlmedia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Please don't say that. I just ordered mine last night for pick-up today. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do release iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 during WWDC.
Caliber26 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:33 AM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68040

The issue here is not powering retina on a Mini.
The issue is does the mini have enough internal space to have a battery large enough to give a good battery life with a retina screen?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:34 AM   #16
scott911
macrumors 6502

Quote:
agreed! so many are used to the retina class resolution by now.

mini would have been good compared to the first kindle fire, but now the mini comes across as yesterday's technology with an inflated price tag.
scott911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:35 AM   #17
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

This is why I wouldn't waste my money on the 1st generation Mini. You know that a Retina version is on the way.
rwilliams is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:35 AM   #18
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
iPad Mini just released and already rumors of an iPad Mini 2.
justperry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:36 AM   #19
beemo
macrumors newbie

now the price makes more sense

The $329 price makes more sense now, as they will inevitably say "new iPad mini with retina display at the same amazing price". They wouldn't want to raise the cost from say $249, or sell at cost because of the pricier display.

I'm really happy with my iPad 3, but it does feel too big sometimes and a bother to bring places. A retina iPad mini would make me consider switching!
beemo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:37 AM   #20
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

Anyone who believes the next iPad mini WON'T have a retina display is seriously deluded. Most likely by their impatience and urge to buy it now.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:38 AM   #21
MikeAK
macrumors member

We all knew this was going to happen and sooner rather then later. Look for an early spring release on the new Mini with Retina, 1GB Ram and an A6. The crying we heard from iPad 3 owners will be nothing like that of the early Mini adopters.
MikeAK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:38 AM   #22
dkouts
macrumors member

Sharpness is relative to the distance you view the content at and the real world size of the screen.

eg - on a TV you only perceive full HD up to a certain distance from your plasma after which the detail becomes imperceivable.

On the smaller ipad Id rather have the CPU driving snappier apps and grunty creative stuff than driving more pixels just to read my email.

Retina a little overkill except on the full size iPad?
dkouts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:39 AM   #23
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
Is that a serious question?
It's legitimate....what's your beef?
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:39 AM   #24
extricated
macrumors regular

I feel a little better about my decision to wait.
extricated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
Please don't say that. I just ordered mine last night for pick-up today. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do release iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 during WWDC.

This scares me as well. As long as I can sell my current mini for a fair price, i'll sell and get the new one for sure. A retina display is really in major need on this thing.
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion