Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SlashGear reports on an article [Google translation] from Chinese site DoNews claiming that Apple's iPad mini display partner AU Optronics has a Retina-resolution display in the pipeline for the next generation of the device, which is expected to be launched next year. There has been considerable discussion about how quickly Apple might be able to move to a Retina display in the device, and today's report suggests that Apple may not have to wait several generations to make the jump as it did with its other iOS devices.

ipad_mini_side-500x68.jpg
A separate report from MENAFN claims that AU Optronics will be adopting indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) and Gate IC on array (GOA) technologies in order to reach the Retina resolution in a thin design required for the iPad mini.
It is said that ultrahigh resolution can not be developed without the technology of indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO), and the technology of Gate IC on array (GOA) is also indispensable since the next-generation iPad Mini will have an ultra-narrow frame. The technology of GOA helps save the room of IC on the rim and narrow the frame of the screen to the largest extent.

Speaking of the progress of the development of iPad Mini, AUO claimed that it had solved the problem of yield and there would be no light leak as existed before. The company would ship the products in large scale in the fourth quarter.
One major issue with both of the reports is confusion over the pixel density on these panels. Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone. MENAFN also misstates the density of the full-size iPad's display as 326 ppi, while DoNews correctly lists it as 264 ppi.

Article Link: AU Optronics Developing Retina Display for Second-Generation iPad Mini?

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
They leak it anyway because the general public doesnt follow this stuff and the Apple fans are going to buy it regardless.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I can't understand these chinese manufacturers that leak all this info. Don't they understand that in the end they are hurting their revenue?

They don't care what Apple is going to do to hunt down their revenue, but they just want to be the FIRST to leak these info.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

Because a panel probably didn't exist...
Also means that that dev's don't have to change any (much) code as it's the same res as ipad 2

Does mean that when the mini 2 comes out they will have 2 products as they do with ipad 2 and 4 probably and can compete better with other 7" tabs

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The issue here is not powering retina on a Mini.
The issue is does the mini have enough internal space to have a battery large enough to give a good battery life with a retina screen?

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

agreed! so many are used to the retina class resolution by now.

mini would have been good compared to the first kindle fire, but now the mini comes across as yesterday's technology with an inflated price tag.

beemo

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
now the price makes more sense

The $329 price makes more sense now, as they will inevitably say "new iPad mini with retina display at the same amazing price". They wouldn't want to raise the cost from say $249, or sell at cost because of the pricier display.

I'm really happy with my iPad 3, but it does feel too big sometimes and a bother to bring places. A retina iPad mini would make me consider switching!

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Anyone who believes the next iPad mini WON'T have a retina display is seriously deluded. Most likely by their impatience and urge to buy it now.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
We all knew this was going to happen and sooner rather then later. Look for an early spring release on the new Mini with Retina, 1GB Ram and an A6. The crying we heard from iPad 3 owners will be nothing like that of the early Mini adopters.

dkouts

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Sharpness is relative to the distance you view the content at and the real world size of the screen.

eg - on a TV you only perceive full HD up to a certain distance from your plasma after which the detail becomes imperceivable.

On the smaller ipad Id rather have the CPU driving snappier apps and grunty creative stuff than driving more pixels just to read my email.

Retina a little overkill except on the full size iPad?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Please don't say that. I just ordered mine last night for pick-up today. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do release iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 during WWDC.

This scares me as well. As long as I can sell my current mini for a fair price, i'll sell and get the new one for sure. A retina display is really in major need on this thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.