Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple likes to have a clear upgrade path in their products, both from product to product, but also in the generation-to-generation dimension within the same product line and in the spec-to-spec dimension within the same generation.

That is genius. It allows upgrade paths in three different dimensions for existing customers. You can get a more capable iteration of your existing product. You can get a new generation product with better stuff in the box. And you can get a new type of product to supplement your existing selections.

So Apple will sell a gazillion iMinis this time around, only to get many of the same people to buy them again next time around. Lots of customers will get an iMini iRetina when it hits the stores - hell, they'll wait in line to buy a second iMini with the new specs and capabilities.

Apple knows EXACTLY what they are doing. And their fans scream "Shut up and take my money!".

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Please don't say that. I just ordered mine last night for pick-up today. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do release iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 during WWDC.

I won't be too worry about it. I don't think they fit the retina into an ipad mini in less than 1-1.5 years at the minimum. Remember, it is not just about the display. It is the CPU/GPU. Even the A5X had problems driving the retina display and that is why we saw the the A6X. Then you have to add in things like battery and more efficient chip because the Retina ipad already ran pretty hot.

That is the main reason why we don't see a retina on the mini now. I am not sure you can fit all that in the mini's body. And even if it was possible, the cost would probably be even higher than the regular iPad.

It is likely they will have to wait for the next gen ARM chips after the a15 which won't be available until at least late 2013.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I could see a staggered release schedule for the different products instead of everything at WWDC.

Since the Mini will probably take over as the main iPad platform, I could see a pre-Christmas release every year, staggered with iPhone releases early in the year so that customers can smooth out their expenditures.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Either way; I'm waiting for the Retina Mini. :D

I wouldn't count on that as Apple just moved the release time for the iPad and mini to the fall. Just as they did with the iPhone pushing it from June to September.

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
I really should return this thing and wait cause I KNOW a better one is coming. However I use it ALL the time and will miss it like crazy!

Isn't this true for all tech products? You know something better will come along.

SG457

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
Rumors again just after less than a month of announcement :eek: Hopefully an A6 for that :)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

So that they could sell you a high-margin iMini this time around, and another one with the iRetina display next year.

This stuff isn't that hard to figure out.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
apple :
Please don't waste time and money making the next ipad mini redonkulously thin and fragile and expensive. But do give us a nice res screen, and improve sound quality please.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Well it's about time the iPad mini get the retina display. Seriously, why did Apple release the mini without it?

Cost and Apple's internal design and technical standards.

After looking at the Mini in person yesterday and comparing it with the 4th gen iPad, there is a noticeable difference in the screens but the Mini's screen is still very good and is certainly not a deal breaker for me. I'm still deciding if I'll get a Mini but the issue isn't the screen, it's the fact that I don't need the Mini, I live just fine without it. Stupid pragmatism. :D

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

Because otherwise, folks like me that wanted a smaller iOS tablet would have no tablet for the next 6-? months.

I don't get what is so hard to understand here. There was an unfilled market. They filled it. In the span of a few days, millions of people bought the product. If a newer one comes out in 6 months, they can evaluate whether the improvement is something they want and buy it, or not buy it. I'm sure the used market for 1st gen iPad Mini's will recoup a significant share of the price paid. Even if its half, so I paid $165 for 6 months of use.

For $329 that I paid, I'm quite happy with the Mini. If, in the future, a Retina Mini comes out and is heavier or has shorter battery life, I probably won't buy one.

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
I wouldn't count on that as Apple just moved the release time for the iPad and mini to the fall. Just as they did with the iPhone pushing it from June to September.

Well, the 4th gen iPad was more a spec refresh so the CPU/GPU could keep up with the Retina. You could tell that since Apple only spend like 5 minutes talking about it. I wouldn't be surprise if the iPad 5th gen comes in March and then goes back to its one year cycle. The Mini refresh in Oct. it wouldn't really make sense for Apple to have all their big products in Sept/Oct and nothing for the rest of the year.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I either want an iPad with the new Mini design or an iPad mini with better specs - seem like a dead end for me at the moment :(

So I hope it will arrive soon...

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
I either want an iPad with the new Mini design or an iPad mini with better specs - seem like a dead end for me at the moment :(

So I hope it will arrive soon...

I think due to the size constraints, the mini is always going to be slightly behind the iPad in terms of power for each iteration. It is like desktop and labtops. It is always going to be like a cycle behind?

For people wondering why the mini didn't get the retina. It is the the same reason why the nexus 7 doesn't have a 2560x1600 while the nexus 10 does.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I would never buy this first gen Mini because it's obvious they will come out with a better screen and the A5X chip upgrade with the next version. I think I might splurge on that.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Expect even lower sales now after all these rumours... who is going to buy a tablet that will be obsolete in half a year?

Doubtful as the majority of the population does not read Apple related websites & are clueless about impending changes or new products.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The $329 price makes more sense now, as they will inevitably say "new iPad mini with retina display at the same amazing price". They wouldn't want to raise the cost from say $249, or sell at cost because of the pricier display.

I'm really happy with my iPad 3, but it does feel too big sometimes and a bother to bring places. A retina iPad mini would make me consider switching!

I expect we will see the Gen1 mini price drop $50 to $279 which will put it within striking distance of the Nexus 7 and Kindel Fire.

This is just my opinion, but I believe the primary reason the $329 price was selected was so they could drop it by $50 to $279.

Don't forget that in addition to not having retina, the iPad mini is also running the last generation of processor and only has 512k of RAM.

As others have stated, I believe we will see an iPad mini 2 in April. The real question will be whether they update the iPad 4 at the same time.

I don't think Apple wants to go to a six month refresh cycle.

Apple is going to be running into another problem soon. At some point everybody that wants an iPhone or iPad, and can afford it, will have one. What does Apple do after that?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Retina a little overkill except on the full size iPad?

Naw. Sharp screens are better, all other things being equal.

I don't think that there will be overkill any time soon. Even the various iRetinas could benefit from better screens. We're nowhere near maxed out on screen abilities.

I'm looking forward to the day where you will be able to look into your tablet and see a real-time 3D representation of the world around you, almost completely indistinguishable from the reality beside the screen. Except for the otherworldly VR overlays, of course. :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If Apple releases an retina iPad Mini next year, I can see a lot of complaints on this forum about how it has a higher ppi than the full sized iPad. If Apple doesn't, they'll complain about the mini's screen looks worse. Yet if Apple sets a common ppi for both size iPads, they'll complain about fragmentation. There's always gonna be complainers I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.