Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lochias

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Virginia
iCloud me mac never

+1
Totally agree.

I started with .mac and the switch to .me was a pain. Also it's just getting confusing.

If it was such a pain, why did you "switch"? I've never seen the point of using anything other than just .mac.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
So glad i have a .mac address. I'm going to start using it even more now. The classic and best of all.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Is there any way to rename your "core" account yet? I loathe that I have to use aliases for everything since my main account from back in the .mac days is named after a defunct business I used to operate before it got bought. I'm not sure if a call to Apple is the way to fix this or if it's simply not possible. Basically I ask because I saw it pop up again with this latest email.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I've never understood why they stopped us using mac.com addy. That was the best period.

Anyway, I went back with my gmail addy, this is until outlook.com has imap option

wrongcoast

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
LA
I can't wait to switch from @me.com to @icloud.com. I've always hated the cutesy and narcissistic overtones of @me.com, and I'm not the only one.

+1, Dude!! So glad I signed up in the .Mac days so I don't have to appear so self-absorbed that I need me in my email address. @iCloud is better but unnecessary. Apple had it nailed with .Mac.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Well...

I would love to use an iCloud.com email actually, it tells people the actual website it takes you to instead of MobileMe is closed! Which could be confusing to people trying to create the same email. However I can give my @iCloud.com email to people but it still can't replace my ancient @mac.com email that has an old embarrassing email I've been trying to get rid of for 2 years.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I had assumed that my @me.com address still existed, and that it was just becoming @icloud.com. But now someone else has taken it.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I can't wait to switch from @me.com to @icloud.com. I've always hated the cutesy and narcissistic overtones of @me.com, and I'm not the only one. Every single one of my friends and family made fun of me when I switched from Gmail to an @me.com address. I always slightly cringe when giving it out to people.

I know the nature of this board is to complain about every little change, but I look forward to escaping the stigma of @me.com. iCloud at least has an obvious connection to Apple and doesn't have that embarrassing "look at me" ring of @me.com.

Here! Here!

Hate the @me.com for all the same reasons you mentioned.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Finally... Eager to toss the ever so narcissistic @me.com

The last vestiges of the failed MobileMe.

Now I'll continue to wait patiently & watch as Apple struggles with iCloud. At least the name doesn't sound so self centered.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
This email fiasco

This email fiasco made me actually dislike my Apple products. My Apple ID has always been a Gmail account. I also have been a subscriber to first .Mac and MobileMe. Now I am stuck with two new addresses, but I cannot move my Apple ID to a new address. Further more, my iDevices attempt to use the Apple addresses as default addresses during a new setup until I remember to change those settings...thus I have accidentally sent people emails from this address. I hate this email address fiasco. One more thing that I do not like about iCloud.

In general, iCloud is my least favorite cloud service.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Can you elaborate on this?

I had <myname>@me.com. I was under the assumption that it would automatically transition to <myname>@icloud.com at some point.

I went to try to check on icloud.com, and it told me I had to set up an icloud.com email address. I followed the procedure (turned on email in iCloud settings), entered what I thought was my address, and it says it is taken.

I sign into iCloud with the gmail address my iTunes account it on.

----------

This email fiasco made me actually dislike my Apple products. My Apple ID has always been a Gmail account. I also have been a subscriber to first .Mac and MobileMe. Now I am stuck with two new addresses, but I cannot move my Apple ID to a new address. Further more, my iDevices attempt to use the Apple addresses as default addresses during a new setup until I remember to change those settings...thus I have accidentally sent people emails from this address. I hate this email address fiasco. One more thing that I do not like about iCloud.

In general, iCloud is my least favorite cloud service.

I think I may be in the same situation as you. It seems for now the best solution for me is to just not turn on iCloud email. I don't plan on using the address anyway, and iCloud is otherwise working with my gmail account as the sign in.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Apple are not a very nice company, so I expect the use of @me accounts to be stopped eventually.

Well, they never stopped letting you use @mac.com, which they stopped giving out in 2008. I doubt they'll stop letting you use @me.com as long as they continue to offer any form of email service.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
I have as many aliases as they allow. And now I have three different version of each alias, giving me 18 different emails I can now use. Thanks Apple.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Have the @mac and an @me. I really don't need another. So glad I can still have the original @mac. That's the one I always use.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I'm curious about this:

If I change my email address to the new @icloud.com does this change my Apple ID to the @icloud.com since my Apple ID is my @me.com address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.