Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
This may be a tired old complaint...but I sure wish when you finished texting and close the app, that the next time you open it you saw the list instead of the last conversation being open(instead of having to back out each time)...sure would help prevent accidentally texting your boss what youre saying to your wife etc...lol

My old Blackberry did this and have missed this

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
This may be a tired old complaint...but I sure wish when you finished texting and close the app, that the next time you open it you saw the list instead of the last conversation being open(instead of having to back out each time)...sure would help prevent accidentally texting your boss what youre saying to your wife etc...lol

My old Blackberry did this and have missed this

Lol you just press the back button or look at who you're texting...

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
it takes like 1 second, maybe not even that

Oh I know...its not really the inconvenience or time...but I have made the mistake a few times and a customer of mine did it to me today...

ie. customer was texting me today, then sent a message to his wife which i received (he actually called me pretty lady, lol)...he had obviously been texting her prior, then when he opened his message app, just assumed he was still talking to her and forgot he had messaged me in the interim...had it returned to the list after closing, you have no choice but to pick who its intended for...no need to keep the individual conversation open and back out of it, the steps would be the same, just less room for error...just a petty gripe,lol

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
to go alone with text message discussions, anyway to set it to time stamp each message? maybe i just dont see it in the settings. but its my first iphone and kinda annoying that it does not time stamp each one..unless there is a setting i'm missing?

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
to go alone with text message discussions, anyway to set it to time stamp each message? maybe i just dont see it in the settings. but its my first iphone and kinda annoying that it does not time stamp each one..unless there is a setting i'm missing?

iOS decides to timestamp at random. The only way to get every message timestamped is to jailbreak and install this feature.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've done it a few times. Accidentally texting the wrong person. It's bad too when you text a girl something that was meant for someone else.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That's weird because my Messages app does the opposite (although I want it to do what yours does). If close the app after reading/writing a text and then reopen the app, it automatically goes back to the list of all texts :confused:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

iOS decides to timestamp at random. The only way to get every message timestamped is to jailbreak and install this feature.

It isn't random. iOS timestamps the message closest to the "quarters", so at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and on the hour. It doesn't stamp anything after that until it is the next quarter.

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I've done this several times before. Texting the ex-wife "I love you", when I meant to text my wife is a bit awkward.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
That's weird because my Messages app does the opposite (although I want it to do what yours does). If close the app after reading/writing a text and then reopen the app, it automatically goes back to the list of all texts :confused:
That's because you have more than 1 unread message. What the OP explained only happens if you have that ONE unread text.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It isn't random. iOS timestamps the message closest to the "quarters", so at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and on the hour. It doesn't stamp anything after that until it is the next quarter.

Its not on the quarters. I'm looking at a text labeled at 6:38....

I think it waits for 10-15 minutes of inactivity the will time stamp it again...

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned it, but I've accidentally texted the wrong person as well. I guess I have to train myself to back out of the conversation before hitting the home button. On the other hand, it would be a pain to have to re-open the conversation every time a new message comes in.

Another thing I do without thinking (and it's not good) ... I forget to check if a text is sent to multiple people. THAT can be majorly *awkward*

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Its not on the quarters. I'm looking at a text labeled at 6:38....

I think it waits for 10-15 minutes of inactivity the will time stamp it again...

That's what I mean though, it stamps the closest to the quarters, and then waits at least 15 minutes before looking to stamp another message.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's what I mean though, it stamps the closest to the quarters, and then waits at least 15 minutes before looking to stamp another message.

Oh gotcha. Thought you meant it would actually round the time to the nearest quarter...lol

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That's because you have more than 1 unread message. What the OP explained only happens if you have that ONE unread text.

Ah, this is true. I have like 90 unread :rolleyes:

OP, have someone random text you and never read it and just let it sit at the bottom of your messages then

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I wish when you are scrolling through previous texts sent from someone....and then they text you again.....that it didn't jump you all the way down to that message. Pain in the butt to have to scroll back up to read to only have them do it again.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

OP, have someone random text you and never read it and just let it sit at the bottom of your messages then

You need 2 unread texts from separate people because if its just 1 unread, it'll automatically open to that convo :)

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Sounds like an interesting problem. What would be a reasonable amount of time before you'd expect the app to jump out of the convo and back to the list? 5 minutes? an hour?

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012

But one day he'll open Messages by accident and the message will open and bam:: back to where he started :rolleyes:

I also hate this feature,,have texted way too many ppl the wrong thing. It gets frustrating :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.