Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Thumbs up Java and Flash? KILL IT WITH FIRE

Yeah more or less. Both are security risks these days, neither Apple nor Adobe updates their PowerPC Flash/Java anymore, and Flash is just plain pathetically slow on OS X.

From my blog:

In this day and age, Flash and Java are the digital equivalents the equivalent of dropping a bar of soap in a prison shower.

OK, back in high school we played with Flash to make animations.

And then Flash became popular on the web. At the same time, Java (entirely different to the similarly named JavaScript) was becoming popular as a cross-platform programming language.

Long story short, both have now outlived their usefulness, both are riddled with security holes and other such things that you do not want. Flash can store special “LSO” cookies in your web browser to track you. Also consider that Flash has utterly horrific performance on OS X. Today I eradicated Flash and Java from my three main computers. Now I tell you how to do it.

First up, Flash. If you want to simply block it, the Firefox addon “Flashblock” will do so, for Safari, use “ClickToFlash”. I preferred to simply wipe it off my computer entirely. To do that, you download Adobe’s official Flash Uninstaller. Link is [here].

Next, Java. You can disable it quite easily, you got to /Applications/Utilities and open “Java Preferences”. You open that, and you’ll see a couple of checkboxes that say something like “JSE 5.0″. Uncheck them to disable Java.

Unfortunately I found that isn’t always totally reliable, as it seemed to only disable Java on the admin account on the computer I disabled it on. That made me a bit antsy so I simply deleted Java. You can tell it has worked if you then try to open the “Java Preferences” application and it crashes.

How to delete Java? You need to delete 3 files/folders:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

And there you have it. Java and Flash GONE.

To check you have eradicated Java, open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and run the following command:

sudo /usr/libexec/java_home

You will be required to enter your admin password. If you do not have Java installed, the terminal should reply with something like this:

sudo: /usr/libexec/java_home: command not found

<3

http://michaelanthonyralph.com/wp/2012/11/08/in-this-day-and-age-flash-and-java-are-the-digital-equivalent-of-dropping-a-bar-of-soap-in-a-prison-shower/
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
I blocked both a while back. Unfortunately, I found I was still depending on them for certain things so had to undo that.

Note, if you are using Firefox/TenFourFox/Aurorafox and NoScript you can use NoScript to block Flash. You don't have to install FlashBlock with NoScript. Of course if you are not using NoScript then it's necessary to install FlashBlock if you want to block Flash.

AdBlockPlus also has an Elements plugin. I use this to block annoying stuff I don't want on screen piece by piece. You can use that to wipe out any blocks of Flashplayer on your screen completely if you like.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Wildy
macrumors 6502

If you still need Java for some tasks, then consider the Soy Latte build of OpenJDK 7 - http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/. For the most part it should be compatible, although I know there are one or two libraries missing which are needed to run some JRE apps (Minecraft for example).
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Can't say the same about Java. It is a great crossplatform language ("Compile once, Run everywhere")
and its popularity is quite rapidly growing.
AppleMacFinder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMacFinder View Post
Can't say the same about Java. It is a great crossplatform language ("Compile once, Run everywhere")
and its popularity is quite rapidly growing.
Not so fast! That's not entirely true. Sometimes you have to make special java compilations for Mac, or Linux
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
wobegong

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
Not so fast! That's not entirely true. Sometimes you have to make special java compilations for Mac, or Linux
Maybe depends, our company actually produces J2E software for VERY large companies and we have only one release which runs on Mainframe, iSeries, x86, Windows, Linux, Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX etc) and thats not unusual - Admittedly no Mac clients
wobegong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

If I absolutely *had* to use something Java, I'd be doing it in a virtual machine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs