Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Strategy Analytics today released a report estimating that Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone overtook the iPhone 4S for the top spot in global shipments.
Samsung's Galaxy S3 smartphone model shipped 18.0 million units worldwide during the third quarter of 2012. The Galaxy S3 captured an impressive 11 percent share of all smartphones shipped globally and it has become the world's best-selling smartphone model for the first time ever.
strategy_analytics_3q12_smartphones.jpg
Apple observers will of course be quick to note that the iPhone 4S saw waning sales during the third quarter leading into and following the launch of the iPhone 5, while the Galaxy S III is still riding relatively high as Samsung's flagship Android device since its launch in May of this year. Strategy Analytics also estimates that Samsung's position at the top will be short-lived, with the iPhone 5 expected to take back the crown for the current quarter.
The Apple iPhone 5 has gotten off to a solid start already with an estimated 6.0 million units shipped globally during Q3 2012. We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung's Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world's most popular smartphone model.
Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley had previously reported that the Galaxy S III overtook the iPhone 4S in sales at major U.S. carriers back in August.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Theres so many different angles to view this news. fanboys from both sides would love to have their say. Grabbing the popcorn...

----------

The iPhone 5 is the flagship iPhone. Thats what counts.

you could say the note 2 is the top samsung too... (i realise its prob not as popular tho)

year over year sales would show a much better picture

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I don't care how many they ship/sell. As long as Apple keeps making products I love, I'll continue to buy.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Add it up

So...
But if you add the iPhone 5 + the 4s, you get higher sales.

So the iPhone shipments are still higher.
Basically all this shows is that people stopped buying the 4s after the 5 was announced.

Not very interesting at all.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
So...

Basically all this shows is that people stopped buying the 4s after the 5 was announced.

And the fact is the s111... Is a nice phone

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I know 3 or 4 people who have gotten the 4S in the last couple weeks. Why wouldn't you get the 5? they are scared of the $199 price but they don't realize you're paying that over the life of the contract, so it's really only about 7.50/month!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The numbers I find interesting are the GS3's Q2 shipments vs. the iP5's Q3 numbers....

The GS3 was on the market for about 1 month (May 29 - June 30) of Q2 and sold/shipped 5.4 million units.

The iP5 was on the market for just over 1 week (September 21 - September 30) of Q3 and sold/shipped 6.0 million units.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
The numbers I find interesting are the GS3's Q2 shipments vs. the iP5's Q3 numbers....

The GS3 was on the market for about 1 month (May 29 - June 30) of Q2 and sold/shipped 5.4 million units.

The iP5 was on the market for just over 1 week (September 21 - September 30) of Q3 and sold/shipped 6.0 million units.

considering the competition in the android market, they are truely remarkable numbers which ever way you look at it

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
If you're going to count the iPhone 4s and 5 as the flagship phone sales, then you must count the Galaxy Note II as well. Before the iPhone 5s comes out, Samsung will have sold several million of Galaxy S4 in the 2nd quarter of 2013.

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
So...

But if you add the Note II sales to the GSIII sales you get higher sales.

:)

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
Saying this on these forums is really dangerous...but I honestly think the Galaxy S III is a really good phone, but I'm not saying I like Samsung. I hate their tactics and advertisements.

ActionJax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Using the (flawed) Apple-haters' logic, all these people flocking to the Samsung Galaxy S III are one or more of the following:
  • Sheeple;
  • Drones;
  • Stupid people easily fooled by marketing;
  • Kool-Aid drinkers.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012

There are more interesting numbers :)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/24iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Five-Million.html

So, more than 5 million was sold in just 3 days (21-24 September) and less than 1 million for the remaining 6 days (25-31 September).:eek:

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
If the S3 was a 4'' phone and not a huge brick I would of been all over it. I know they are making a smaller one, but with also watered down features so I don't count that one

I want the S3 as it stands in a 4'' form factor. I don't like big phones. I would of gotten the S3 over the iPhone 5 for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.