Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Has anyone used a Galaxy device? They dont compare in quality or function. I had Android before, and I provide support for some staff own those devices, and the issue lies in both the hardware and the usability of the software. That ecosystem is just not as functional or as easy to approach as it should be. They may be cheaper to purchase, and to manufacture, but they are just not that great of a device or mobile OS.

Muahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

ROFL

Muahahahahahahahahah

ORLY?

*looks at his Galaxy S3*

You never used one, did you?

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Oh my.. I had heard the Galaxy SIII has issues with running hot but I didn't know they were actually bursting into flames!!??!?! I sure am glad I didn't choose one recently when it was time to change phones at work.

hahaha, yea that hasn't happened yet for me lol.
Actually my iPhone4 ran hotter after 30+ minutes of straight talk time than my S3 does. I have yet to feel it hot (thru the case at least, never used it without)
But my iPhone5 doesn't get hot either so maybe they "fixed" that :)

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I know this is anecdotal but I never see Samsung smartphones in the wild. I see iPhones constantly and know loads of people who own iPhones. I know people who have Android phones but can't think of one person who owns a Samsung Galaxy.

You'd think with these kinds of sales, I'd encounter owners/users a little more often. Am I living in some kind of bubble? :D

It can vary widely. I commute every day on the subway into downtown Toronto and in terms of phone popularity I see it goes: iPhone 4(s) --> SIII --> iPhone 5. Seriously, I see more SIIIs than the 5.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Yes. They're made to get the product into the hands of retailers so they can be sold to users.

That's the distinction between shipments and sales. The PlayBook, for example, *shipped* millions of units, but only *sold* a fraction of that. You can still find some units from the initial shipments in stores (where you can find a store that hasn't returned their stock to the distributor for a refund).

Do you think S3's are not selling? Seriously

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Right, because the phones only exist on shelves and in factories, there is no in between.

While he should probably amend his comment to "unsellable" SIIIs, the fact is that his argument is not a straw man while yours is.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
FYI i walked into a Future Shop in downtown Vancouver and they had a shelf full of iPhone 4S' and 5's....
Weird because all the carriers are on back order and Rogers will give you $50 off for every two weeks it takes to get you the phone. I got $100 off mine on Rogers and my cousin got upgraded to a 32 GB for free on Telus because they couldn't get him a 16 GB fast enough. .

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I know this is anecdotal but I never see Samsung smartphones in the wild. I see iPhones constantly and know loads of people who own iPhones. I know people who have Android phones but can't think of one person who owns a Samsung Galaxy.

You'd think with these kinds of sales, I'd encounter owners/users a little more often. Am I living in some kind of bubble? :D

There are tons of people who have them, the people you see aren't the only people out there :D

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Lots of good points, but this last one is critical. Many on this forum seem to think that AT&T can manage iPhone inventories, but not GS3 inventories.

The data, pardon the pun, apples to apples - both are shipped numbers. Both are high demand phones. The world is not full of vast quantities of unsold GS3s. It is an excellent phone, and the first real contender to the iPhone series.

I think all of the Galaxy S phones were serious contenders.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Yep. That's why I said that they were reducing channel inventory and not that they were sold out.

Baldi, I've looked at your posts and your proposition of a channel inventory inflection is a completely unsupported conjecture.

First, you provide no evidence to to support that Apple is reducing 4S channel inventory. 4S is still a strong seller and it isn't clear that demand is down. So why would they change their inventory policy?

Also, as the S3 was ramping up that quarter it likely started off having less channel inventory, and thus lower shipments, than the 4S.

So, with those assumptions GS3 sales >> iphone 4s sales

sartios

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
London
Just moved from the 5 to the s3, got rid of the crappy touchwiz and running vanilla jelly bean, its very nice and a nice change fromi ios, nice features and I really like the camera, don't get me wrong I love iOS and iphone, but its nice to have a change, this runs really smooth thanks to project butter and I really like the screen size.

The added advantage of divx and mkv playback and SD card is cool, and the 720p screen makes mkvs look great.

Both phones are great but its down to personal preference, the market for apps is so much better for android than it use to be.

Loving jelly bean!

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Guffaw! I've owned 6 Androids. It's the "Windows" of Mobile Operating systems. Actually, that's unfair to Windows. Looks like something Walmart would sell.

----------

You're funny.

I'm going to assume you used the orginal Android software because Jelly Bean is just as good as iOS. Probably even better.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
From my experiences playing around with it, the S3 is a fantastic phone. If I liked Android better, I would strongly consider it. The Nexus 4 looks good too, but with Nexus 4 having only 16GB, no microSD slot, and merely passable camera, the S3 looks better despite lack of guarantee with regards to timely Android OS updates (and an uncertain future about when those stop coming).

That said, I still like iOS better, and I say that as a Nexus 7 owner. iOS simply has a more polished/more usable UI, higher-quality/wider variety of apps, and I've got a great music playback setup with AirPlay, syncing to iTunes, etc. I have an Apple TV and many Airport Expresses around the house. AirPlay mirroring is also useful.

To make me even consider switch, Android would need an Airplay equivalent (which can be used with arbitrary apps on the device) with matching TV and audio hardware to stream to. And this would need to be reliable, because it is amazingly reliable with the iPhone (not so much in OS X Mountain Lion on a Mac, though).

Going back on topic, I think the S3 is the current phone of choice for anyone who doesn't want an iPhone. I'm always excited to see when one of my friends or coworkers have bought one. I'm glad Android is competitive and want to see it succeed (rather than, say, Microsoft).

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
To make me even consider switch, Android would need an Airplay equivalent (which can be used with arbitrary apps on the device) with matching TV and audio hardware to stream to. And this would need to be reliable, because it is amazingly reliable with the iPhone (not so much in OS X Mountain Lion on a Mac, though).

It seems that you will like Miracast then

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Baldi, I've looked at your posts and your proposition of a channel inventory inflection is a completely unsupported conjecture.

First, you provide no evidence to to support that Apple is reducing 4S channel inventory. 4S is still a strong seller and it isn't clear that demand is down. So why would they change their inventory policy?

No direct evidence is available. Apple said in their latest earning call that channel inventory was below target despite a 800,000 unit increase since the quarter ended. Channel inventory was in the target range despite dropping 300,000 units in June quarter.

Plus, just common sense that iPhone 4S inventory would be decreased in preparation for iPhone 5 launch. Historically, 90% of iPhone sales have been the latest model.

Also, as the S3 was ramping up that quarter it likely started off having less channel inventory, and thus lower shipments, than the 4S.

Yep. That's my point. They were estimated to ship 18.0 million units. However, some of those were simply dedicated to filling the channel inventory, so they actually sold less than the 18.0 million that they shipped. Obviously, Samsung's sales channel is significantly larger than Apple's.

So, with those assumptions GS3 sales >> iphone 4s sales

Not at all. We don't have any proof either way, but I think the circumstantial evidence points to the 4S still having a slight lead for Q3. Of course, Samsung could be selling every phone it ships as soon as it ships, but I would doubt it.

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Pretty happy about this news- the SIII is a solid phone and I love mine. Just waiting for Verizon to get off their a**es and release an OTA Jelly Bean update...

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Guffaw! I've owned 6 Androids. It's the "Windows" of Mobile Operating systems. Actually, that's unfair to Windows. Looks like something Walmart would sell.

----------

You're funny.

Both Windows and Android are great Operating Systems. Just because you say they aren't doesn't make it so.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Congrats Samsung, you outshipped a year old phone that isnt even available on a major retailer ( T Mobile). Shows how great Apple sales are .. The 5 is going to crush the competition again

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Congrats Samsung, you outshipped a year old phone that isnt even available on a major retailer ( T Mobile). Shows how great Apple sales are .. The 5 is going to crush the competition again

You sound very insecure.

Dvoraak

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Has anyone used a Galaxy device? They dont compare in quality or function. I had Android before, and I provide support for some staff own those devices, and the issue lies in both the hardware and the usability of the software. That ecosystem is just not as functional or as easy to approach as it should be. They may be cheaper to purchase, and to manufacture, but they are just not that great of a device or mobile OS.

While I'll agree with you that the Android ecosystem is rough and not very intuitive at all, Samsung has conquered all performance issues. IMO Android's biggest problem has always been RAM usage and how the frequent memory deficits affected a device's performance. Samsung's latest devices have blazing fast quad core processors and 2 gigs of RAM. Having plenty of memory available keeps the new Galaxy lines running smooth and FAST. I've had the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and (currently) the 4S and I can tell you that my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet runs as smoothly as any iDevice I've ever had. I'm so impressed with it that I'm buying the Note 2 (as soon as it's available in the US) instead of an iPhone 5.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
The misconception that both camps have here on MacRumors is that you believe that you are the "average consumer", read: majority of sales.

Regardless of what one device can or can not do; can your Mom make it do the same thing without your help? More importantly; do they need it to do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.