Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
California
macrumors 68040

Cube: heatsink or fan with CPU upgrade?

Guys have any of you done a Cube CPU upgrade with a Sonnet CPU?

If so, does the Cube use the heatsink or a flat fan?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Could you explain that a a bit more?
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:17 PM   #3
AtmChm
macrumors regular

You're going to need a fan with any CPU upgrade. There's lots of info on Cube cpu upgrades at www.cubeowner.com
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
mike457
macrumors 6502

I did a Gigadesign installation a few years ago, and I completely second what AtmChm says. Fortunately, the Cube does have a space ready and a power connector, as Apple dithered in the design stages about whether there should be a fan.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

There is a report on xlr8yourmac with pictures.
Cox Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #6
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
There is a report on xlr8yourmac with pictures.
Thanks guys

I think I need to get a new fan for the Cube, my BF (yes I'm a girl...!) lost the Cube stuff and the box.

Do any of you guys have a fan or recommendations of how to get one? Thank you so much.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:26 AM   #7
AtmChm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Thanks guys

I think I need to get a new fan for the Cube, my BF (yes I'm a girl...!) lost the Cube stuff and the box.

Do any of you guys have a fan or recommendations of how to get one? Thank you so much.
You can go for one of two sizes: a 15 mm fan will easily fit in the space provided for a fan in the cube, but they generally push less air and/or are more noisy since they have to operate at a higher rpm to move the same amount of air as a larger fan. A 25 mm fan will be a tight fit, but generally will be less noisy.

I put the Noctua NF-R8 in two of my Cubes. It's a 25 mm fan and actually has three speed settings controlled via resistors provided with the fan. I run mine at the middle setting, which moves enough air to keep the cube cool, while minimizing the noise produced by the fan. The fan is available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-8...eywords=noctua

and likely can easily be found at other vendors. For a 15 mm fan, the Panaflow is generally thought to be the best (I have one in a third cube) - quiet and run well, but they are no longer made, so you'd have to look around for a used one. There are lots of other 15 mm fans with varying degrees of reliability.

The other trick here is you will need to power the fan. Most fans will not come with the correct power connector required for the power jack on the VRM. However, most will come with a 4 pin adapter to connect the fan to the CD/DVD molex.

Again, I'd recommend searching the cubeowner website, which has lots of info on fans for the cube.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:42 PM   #8
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
You can go for one of two sizes: a 15 mm fan will easily fit in the space provided for a fan in the cube, but they generally push less air and/or are more noisy since they have to operate at a higher rpm to move the same amount of air as a larger fan. A 25 mm fan will be a tight fit, but generally will be less noisy.

I put the Noctua NF-R8 in two of my Cubes. It's a 25 mm fan and actually has three speed settings controlled via resistors provided with the fan. I run mine at the middle setting, which moves enough air to keep the cube cool, while minimizing the noise produced by the fan. The fan is available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-8...eywords=noctua

and likely can easily be found at other vendors. For a 15 mm fan, the Panaflow is generally thought to be the best (I have one in a third cube) - quiet and run well, but they are no longer made, so you'd have to look around for a used one. There are lots of other 15 mm fans with varying degrees of reliability.

The other trick here is you will need to power the fan. Most fans will not come with the correct power connector required for the power jack on the VRM. However, most will come with a 4 pin adapter to connect the fan to the CD/DVD molex.

Again, I'd recommend searching the cubeowner website, which has lots of info on fans for the cube.
Thanks, Sonnet actually wrote back and said to get their cube fan kit, and asked me specifically if I had a Cube for Sonnet upgrade, which it is. It's the Panaflow fan, right, that comes with the Sonnet CPU upgrade?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:34 PM   #9
AtmChm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks, Sonnet actually wrote back and said to get their cube fan kit, and asked me specifically if I had a Cube for Sonnet upgrade, which it is. It's the Panaflow fan, right, that comes with the Sonnet CPU upgrade?
My understanding is that the Panaflow came with the Sonnet upgrade once upon a time, but I don't think the Panaflow has been made for a few years, so I'm not sure what they are including in their kits now. Are they still selling Cube upgrade kits or are you looking at buying a used one?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmChm View Post
My understanding is that the Panaflow came with the Sonnet upgrade once upon a time, but I don't think the Panaflow has been made for a few years, so I'm not sure what they are including in their kits now. Are they still selling Cube upgrade kits or are you looking at buying a used one?
They have the kit for 29.95. Emailed me today.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:33 AM   #11
AtmChm
macrumors regular

Quote:
They have the kit for 29.95. Emailed me today.
Well, that's likely your best option. That fan should have the correct connector for the fan power connector apple included on the VRM. Good luck on your upgrade! The Cube is such a cool Mac, and installing an upgrade makes it more enjoyable to use.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

@ California

Why not ask Sonnet, if they can tell you what exact fan model they use. On the PowerMac G4 towers they used Sunon fans, which are quiet loud (though they said, they took the quietest available at the time...)

If you have the exact model number of the Sonnet fan, you can search for the specs and compare with other fans.
Cox Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs