Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
So I did a "reset all network connections" on my mini. Now the wifi connection is persistent and my push notifications - push/exchange mail, iMessage, etc., are working properly with the Smart Cover closed, even 10+ minutes after the screen has been turned off.

Hurray! Back to normal. That was odd. Never saw that bug before. Guess I have to keep the mini!

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
So I did a "reset all network connections" on my mini. Now the wifi connection is persistent and my push notifications - push/exchange mail, iMessage, etc., are working properly with the Smart Cover closed, even 10+ minutes after the screen has been turned off.

Hurray! Back to normal. That was odd. Never saw that bug before. Guess I have to keep the mini!

Did you setup the mini from an iCloud restore?

I've noticed lately that setting up a new device from an iCloud restore....you almost always have to either do a Network Settings reset or a All Settings reset because something gets corrupted.

-Kevin

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Do you have Fetch set to check or is it set to manual? Also, note that even if the main Fetch schedule is set, there is an advanced setting in Mail where each account can override it.

My Gmail notes fetch hourly, the other "fetch" accounts (just mail) are manual because they are low-traffic.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
My Gmail notes fetch hourly, the other "fetch" accounts (just mail) are manual because they are low-traffic.

Interesting. I only note that because I've seen multiple people not realize the Advanced section and wonder why their Fetch schedules aren't running.

-Kevin

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Did you setup the mini from an iCloud restore?

I've noticed lately that setting up a new device from an iCloud restore....you almost always have to either do a Network Settings reset or a All Settings reset because something gets corrupted.

-Kevin

Yes, I did. Perhaps that's what it was.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Interesting, mine is doing the same thing.

I had a few wifi drop outs too.

Did a reset network settings last night, so far no drops. (only happened once at my place so far, but a few at starbucks)

restored from iCloud backup so going to try a DFU restore then report.

I also have a case the smart cover on/off feature (moko).

Hoping this nips it in the bud.

Have you had the same issue since resolving it, OP?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I wonder if this is why I'm getting no automatic iCloud backups on my mini. Since it has to be plugged in and WiFi on if WiFi gets turn off automatically it woudn't back up.

Have to try a network reset this evening.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder if this is why I'm getting no automatic iCloud backups on my mini. Since it has to be plugged in and WiFi on if WiFi gets turn off automatically it woudn't back up.

Have to try a network reset this evening.

sounds like it.

PERFECT!

the restore and set up as new fixed it in my quick test (seeing if wifi is there when I wake it up), sending iMessages and emails

can't believe how often I have issues restoring from backup on iOS 6 in particular, going from same device backup to another (something defective when I have to swap for same model every time)

When you pull the smart cover away to wake it up, do you see wifi come on immediately but sort of flicker between on and off for a split second?

does that with mine, but emails all seem to come through even when the device is in sleep mode (with smart cover on or off)

edit: doesnt seem to be doing that again... odd

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.