Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Casimono
macrumors newbie

iPhone5 - Cramps when typing one-handedly?

I tried out the iPhone 5 in the store and found this strange problem - can anybody say if it solves itself with time or practice?

The device has a bigger screen, and with that comes the fact that the keyboard is further down. Now with all previous iPhones, when using it with only one hand, one could easily balance the phone on four fingers and reach each key with the thumb. Now on the iPhone 5, the space key is so far down that I have to cramp the thumb enormously. I could just hold the Phone further down, but that makes the device top-heavy and it would fall out of the hand above my four fingers.

Is there a technique or a trick that you use that solves this issue?

Thanks!
Casimono is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
John T
macrumors 68020

Use two hands.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
apb89
macrumors regular

I have noticed this to some extent as well, though I have mostly gotten used to it.
apb89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Wow you really needed to make a thread about your hand cramping when you type one handed? Wow.... just wow.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimono View Post
I tried out the iPhone 5 in the store and found this strange problem - can anybody say if it solves itself with time or practice?

The device has a bigger screen, and with that comes the fact that the keyboard is further down. Now with all previous iPhones, when using it with only one hand, one could easily balance the phone on four fingers and reach each key with the thumb. Now on the iPhone 5, the space key is so far down that I have to cramp the thumb enormously. I could just hold the Phone further down, but that makes the device top-heavy and it would fall out of the hand above my four fingers.

Is there a technique or a trick that you use that solves this issue?

Thanks!
take a midol.
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
sviato
macrumors 68000

I've never called one of these but uh..crampgate?
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:05 AM   #7
KandyKane
macrumors 6502

I would assume I have smaller hands than you (small girl hands), and I don't have a problem with hand cramping with one handed typing. However, I don't 'grip' the phone with the other 4 fingers, but the phone rests on 3 fingers with my pinky kinda cupping or resting on the bottom edge. It's fine for me but if someone was to come and smack the bottom of my hand, the phone would probably fly into my face.
KandyKane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone