Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I had the 3 Ipad and now own the 4. There's no comparison the 4 blows the 3 iPad away.

I can imagine that it would. I have the 3 and though I'm not in the market for another, I think the 4 is a decent jump in performance.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I understand.

I was in a little different situation. I had iPad 2 64gb wifi and iPad 3 64gb LTE. I sold my iPad 2 to buy the iPad 4.

So I kept the iPad 3 and added an iPad 4 while selling off the iPad 2.

Gotta have 2 iPads in my home with a 2 year old always using the iPad.

Out of curiosity wouldn't it have made more sense to sell the 3 and keep the 2? I may be out of touch but its hard to imagine the average 2 year old is in the "go retina or go home crowd". All joking aside I'm stocked that so many parents are acclimating their kids to tech like the iPad at such a young age. Speaks volumes to the intuitiveness of iOS.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
I replaced my iPad 2 with an iPad 3 on launch day and always had the feeling that the SoC just wasn't fast enough, causing slight hiccups and sometimes poor performance when using heavy workload apps (large JPEGs in iPhoto or long PDFs in Goodreader are a good example).
The iPad 4 I now own is definitely faster, providing a smoother experience with less waiting time. That and the fact that the A6X runs a good bit cooler are enough to make me happy I upgraded.

the sad part, the screen issues are still the same, no improvement there whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I got the exact same impression.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Like few tests show 4th gen is just a second faster. Browsing is almost the same.
Its just in the head. Not worth the upgrade.
There could be a potential improvement in gaming experiance, but since I dont game at all wont even notice.

Personaly, think that ipad users who jumped from 3rd to 4th gen will be dissapointed when lighter ipad (like mini) comes out.
Then in points of size and weight with faster cpu would be a great update for us on 3rd gen.

I actually just ordered a refurb 3 to hold me over. I like the retina display but I also have a dock and camera connection kit for the old connector. I also don't do any real gaming on the iPad. At the end if the day I know I'll be happier with the next one and the base refurb @ $379 with no AppleCare is $350 less after tax than I paid for the 4. Frankly if I'm photo editing ill use my rmbp. If I'm gaming I prefer the vita with physical buttons. I mostly use the iPad to surf. Do IT admin stuff, and stream video. I'm just not a candidate for the added speed of the 4. I was fine with the 2 but foolishly promised it away. Just too much money for no weight decrease and I think the next gen will be a lot more like the iPhone 5 and mini.

So. I get why people prefer the 4. But even compared to the 2 the stuff I do with it is for all practicality not different.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Out of curiosity wouldn't it have made more sense to sell the 3 and keep the 2? I may be out of touch but its hard to imagine the average 2 year old is in the "go retina or go home crowd". All joking aside I'm stocked that so many parents are acclimating their kids to tech like the iPad at such a young age. Speaks volumes to the intuitiveness of iOS.

There are a couple of reason. My iPad 2 64gb wifi was in perfect condition so I could sell it off for $420.

My iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE. My 2 year old cause 3 minor dents even with the cover. The cver i had on wasnt toddler proof. There are minor dents on 3 corners. Doesn't affect screen or anything but I think it would hurt resale cause its not perfect. Perfect models fetch $600-625 give or take. I would probably get $500-525. So my would be taking a $350 hit for LTE iPad after 7 months.

Plus I have unlimited LTE iPad with my Verizon grandfathered spare phone line. So I didn't want to pay another $130 extra for LTE on iPad 4.

I have Griffith Military iPad cases on both iPad 3 and 4 (the military case was on iPad 2 and there wasn't a single scratch iPad 2 with that case).

I actually leave the brand new iPad 4 64gb wifi at home with the 2 year old. So definitely spoiled kid. But he actually uses it for learning sometimes. Tons of kiddie apps.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I just purchased the iPad 4 myself after having taken back an iPad mini. Very glad that I took the mini back and got the 4 as it is super fast, and I am in love with the Retina screen!

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Just got a ipad 4 wifi today. The screen is much bluer (at least 7500K) and there is really severe light leakage on the right when holding in portrait mode with the button facing down.

Maybe I should just grab one of the ipad 3 refurbs...

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Just got a ipad 4 wifi today. The screen is much bluer (at least 7500K) and there is really severe light leakage on the right when holding in portrait mode with the button facing down.

Maybe I should just grab one of the ipad 3 refurbs...

Just exchange it. It's a matter of a few minutes when you live near an Apple Store. And I gaurantee you, most of the iPad 3 screens are not better. Most iPad 4 screens I've seen had a pretty good calibration.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The 4 is undoubtedly great, but you'll never convince myself and a lot of others that it isnt a pointless upgrade from a 3. The only real gains, beyond psychosomatic ones and a split second gained here or there, will be in a smattering of 3D games releases. Oh, and the FaceTime camera, if you ever use it.

Of course, this'll be seen as a jealousy post, to which I say pfft. It ain't money related, I ordered a 64gb LTE Mini at launch, and Ill upgrade to a retina model the moment it's released.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
The ipad 4 might blow away the ipad 3 in BENCHMARKS, but no review has shown it to blow away the ipad 3 in everyday tasks...

Look on Youtube...I watched an ipad 3 and 4 comparison. The ipad 4 isnt worth an upgrade to for me.

"Apps load twice as fast"-BULL

Im not butthurt over it either (I own an Ipad 3). I just think it insulting to read people come on here and claim something different that I have seen. Ill bet games run better on the Ipad 4...But MOST everything else might as well be a tie. (1-2seconds faster is laughable).

EDIT: I also see the A6X runs at 1.4Ghz. Doesnt the A5X run at 1.0Ghz? No wonder stuff opens 1 second faster.

WRONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgU1VGHq93U

And why would the OS work faster? Does OSX work differently on a high end iMac compared to a Mac Mini.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah I'm not sure how much of a placebo effect this is. Real-world tests have shown only a very slight improvement in speed over the 3. If games are really important, then maybe you could justify buying one.

I'll be waiting for the next one that's thinner and lighter.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The 4 is undoubtedly great, but you'll never convince myself and a lot of others that it isnt a pointless upgrade from a 3. The only real gains, beyond psychosomatic ones and a split second gained here or there, will be in a smattering of 3D games releases. Oh, and the FaceTime camera, if you ever use it.

Of course, this'll be seen as a jealousy post, to which I say pfft. It ain't money related, I ordered a 64gb LTE Mini at launch, and Ill upgrade to a retina model the moment it's released.

This is spot on

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Yeah I'm not sure how much of a placebo effect this is. Real-world tests have shown only a very slight improvement in speed over the 3. If games are really important, then maybe you could justify buying one.

I'll be waiting for the next one that's thinner and lighter.

We should all just make this clear, it really depends on what you have now.

If you currently have a 3, unless you are a hardcore gamer, work with movies a lot, or simply must have the latest and greatest and don't care what it costs, for 95% of us upgrading from a 3 to a 4 is not a good use of money because we won't see a dramatic increase in utility. Wait for the 5 - it will probably be much more than a processor upgrade.

If you are new to iPad, or still have a 1 or 2, its a great time to buy a 4 and you will love it.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Sorry, I'm not watching your YouTube video. I've seen plenty already to support the notion that the 4 ain't twice as fast in anything but benchmarks.

And yes, my iPad 3 is faster now on ios6. Why? Better code optimization. Duh.

I don't want to watch things that prove me wrong. I take your reality and substitute mine for it...

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
We should all just make this clear, it really depends on what you have now.

If you currently have a 3, unless you are a hardcore gamer, work with movies a lot, or simply must have the latest and greatest and don't care what it costs, for 95% of us upgrading from a 3 to a 4 is not a good use of money because we won't see a dramatic increase in utility. Wait for the 5 - it will probably be much more than a processor upgrade.

If you are new to iPad, or still have a 1 or 2, its a great time to buy a 4 and you will love it.

Perfectly stated.

There is one other instance to change the 3 out. I bought the 3 only a couple of weeks before the 4 came out. For the same amount of money I was able to get the better device.

Having now used both devices, the speed and camera improvements are definitely detectable (try loading the NFL.com webpage, for example), but I agree that taking a $100-200 hit for selling a 3 and buying a 4 would not be worth it.

BTW, I have no idea why anyone would want the lightning connector, especially if you have any devices with the old style.

Given the limited connectivity to PCs/Macs with the cable, the only benefit is that it is a reversible cable (i.e., it does not matter which way you plug it in).

R

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Im glad you like the 4, i couldn't to myself justify getting the 4 knowing a redesign with better batteries is around the corner (spring). I got the mini as more of a stop gap but its growing on me. Its very fast for what i use it for (coming from a ipad1 to an ipad3 to a mini) but not crazy about the new cables but apple is forcing that on all new models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.