Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.

Yeah, because throwing money at a problem creates better software instantly..

I am sure the groups responsible for those 2 things are quite heavily funded

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple is always very fair about paying up when they steal IP from other companies.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
So Apple paid 21 Million for a flippin' clock and only paid 2.5 million to help Hurricane Sandy victims?

What a load of BS...shows how much Apple cares.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
So Apple paid 21 Million for a flippin' clock and only paid 2.5 million to help Hurricane Sandy victims?

What a load of BS...shows how much Apple cares.

Oh please, what a stupid statement. I hope you have donated every cent you earn that doesn't go directly to something that you absolutely cannot live without.

I suppose Apple should also buy a house for every homeless person in the country. They can technically afford it, so why don't they?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
What a waste of money. I guess Apple needs to do something with their billions in the bank.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Wait... that clock design is a copyrighted 'design'? It looks like the most generic interpretation of the 'clock concept' I've ever seen.

It works both ways. You could argue the same about all tablets having a black border.

antic

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Puts things into perspective.
Sandy relief 2.5 million $
Clock face. 21 million $

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It sounds a little fishy. I expect we will see additional articles this week disputing this 21 million dollar figure.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
So Apple is not fine with licensing a perfectly functional Google Maps, but is ok with licensing a Swiss clock for 21 M?

Apple's really got their priorities straightened out. I love iOS 6, I really do, this statement just explains iOS 6 in a nutshell.
/sarcasm if anybody didn't catch it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple is always very fair about paying up when they steal IP from other companies.

and so is everyone else, when they get caught...the same applies to every large company - Apple is no exception.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
This can't be accurate. If it were, Apple would have the right to use it everywhere and they're only using it for iPads. Apple has very talented designers on staff, why pay $21m for something that could be easily replaced with a new, still perfectly adequate design?

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Oh please, what a stupid statement. I hope you have donated every cent you earn that doesn't go directly to something that you absolutely cannot live without.

I suppose Apple should also buy a house for every homeless person in the country. They can technically afford it, so why don't they?

Oh please, what dumb logic and rebuttle; just look at the damn facts, why the hell would Apple waste that much money on a damn clock vs. helping victims? It shows they could have donated alot more, and care more about a damn clock than helping victims.

So please, quit trying to defend something that just makes you look, well, not so great.

----------

Puts things into perspective.
Sandy relief 2.5 million $
Clock face. 21 million $

This ^

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

Because the could get taxed on that. So it's a big no no.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder if that was yet another thing that led to Forstall's departure.

If he was responsible for that, then it surely didn't help.

So Apple is not fine with licensing a perfectly functional Google Maps, but is ok with licensing a Swiss clock for 21 M?

No, they are not. Using that image without licensing in place was utter stupidity by some clueless employee.

A friend of mine has the Mondaine wrist watch and I really enjoy the design, but it's completely superfluous in a UI setting. It seems ridiculous to me (if true), that Apple is willing to part with $21 million for a clock design ...

Apple isn't paying $21 million for the design. They are paying $21 million for using a design without permission and having to avoid a lawsuit. If some designer at Apple had said to his boss "the Swiss railway has this beautiful design for a clock, I bet we can license it for a million or two", his boss would have asked him what drugs he is on and told him to create his own design, without copying anybody. Unfortunately for Apple, that designer didn't ask his boss.

Last edited:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Switzerland is intimately connected with the major European cults... Perhaps the clock's symbolism was important to Apple, and it had nothing to do with aesthetics.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.

Not to mention all of those silly lawsuits, those cost even more than this tiny little settlement.

But I don't think Apple needs more money in order to fix their products, they just need to want to do it, and then "just do it", that's all…

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I guess it make sense: with all the money Apple is saving by no paying it fair share of taxes (not only in the US) they can spend 20 -and even more- money on tribal things like this. Hooray!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Let me get this straight: APPLE has paid 21 million to the Swiss Federal Railways for their iconic clock design, and none of that money may be going to MONDAINE, who is the "sole consumer-focused licensee of the design" and who, despite being reportedly 'happy' about the increased visibility, are NOW, in "discussions" with the SFR. I smell legal complications. Hope this isn't going to be like PROVIEW and the Chinese all over again.

Last edited:

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Oh, my! Now I feel guilty that I only look at the digital time at the top of the screen......or ask Siri.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
That amount is ridiculous and I don't believe it for a moment. I would have changed the design to show a Swiss guy getting shot at high noon before paying out that much cash in an extortion basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.