Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Merda

From Stefan Keuchel ( Google Germany ) https://plus.google.com/101607164549546362845/posts

Hallo Zusammen - hier kommt eine wichtige Information für alle, die sich für den Kauf für eines der neuen Nexus Geräte interessieren.

Das Nexus 4 Smartphone, das neue Nexus 7 Tablet und das Nexus 10 Tablet können bekanntlich ab morgen (Dienstag, den 13. November 2012) über Google Play in Deutschland gekauft werden. Ich freue mich genauso darauf wie viele von Euch

Wie ich heute erfahren habe, wird die Bestellmöglichkeit jedoch erst am Dienstag Nachmittag / frühen Abend freigeschaltet. Es macht also keinen Sinn heute um Mitternacht vor dem Computer auszuharren um ein Nexus Gerät zu kaufen. Ich halte Euch gern auf dem Laufenden sobald ich neue Informationen dazu erhalte.
in english:

Hello everybody - here's an important information for those who want to buy a new Nexus device.

The Nexus 4 smartphone, the new Nexus 7 tablet and the Nexus 10 tablet can be purchased tomorrow ( Tuesday, 13. November 2012) via Google Play in Germany. I'm looking forward to it just like you

As I heard today, you can only order the devices tuesday afternoon/early evening. So sitting in front of your PC until midnight will be useless. I will provide further information, if I get to know something new.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Quick question:

I am assuming those on-screen Navigation buttons are part of the entire LCD resolution. Correct? If so isn't that like having a smaller usable screen most of the time?

Can those buttons go away by choice or only by an app? I couldn't seem to make them disappear. When playing with the Galaxy Nexus they never seemed to go away.

Mike

If it's anything like the Nexus 7 then no, you are stuck with those navi buttons ALL the time. Terrible design decision IMO, I'd rather see them placed like the Galaxy note 2, even if they made all 3 capacative they don't interfere or hog up screen real estate. I get kind of mad at times when I look at the screen space wasted on my N7, and I also constantly hit those keys by accident.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I really considered the nexus 4, but am way to heavily invested in the apple Eco system. Not really a bad thing, just makes changing a single device in that Eco system not worth it.

I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem too. But you have to weigh the benefits of it. For me I just can't stand by and watch as better and better devices are released that are more advanced and that is to my liking.

Granted I will catch **** from my gf for not being "blue" anymore for iMessage but she will get over it (I hope! lol). I've already told her how great WhatsApp is and was going to have us start using that already. Plus I can still iMessage from my macs and iPad.

Will miss iTunes Match but to be honest I mainly subscribed to that to help clean up my 10-plus-year-old music library. The price was worth to not have to dig out and re-rip old CDs (a job I had put off for years). I will have to get by with Google or Amazon for cloud music, both of which I have.

That leaves the big one: contacts and calendar syncing. I think Google has those handled pretty well. Assuming it works well on macs I can handle that.

As for iOS games.... well I do most of that on my iPad. The games I play on my iPhone are simple ones like Words and Scramble with friends--both of which I assume are on Android as well.

Anything I missed?

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
If it's anything like the Nexus 7 then no, you are stuck with those navi buttons ALL the time. Terrible design decision IMO, I'd rather see them placed like the Galaxy note 2, even if they made all 3 capacative they don't interfere or hog up screen real estate. I get kind of mad at times when I look at the screen space wasted on my N7, and I also constantly hit those keys by accident.

I have no problems rooting so if it is anything like the Nexus 7 I think I will be OK. A quick search found several solutions to remove the nav buttons, including this:

"just installed FullScreenToggleV2.apk and Button Savior from google play and it works like a dream no my nexus 7 stock room /rooted, really love it not to have the stupid thick navigation bar there, Button Savior is just tiny dot with pop up navigation menu that can be placed anywhere around."

Mike

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have no problems rooting so if it is anything like the Nexus 7 I think I will be OK. A quick search found several solutions to remove the nav buttons, including this:

"just installed FullScreenToggleV2.apk and Button Savior from google play and it works like a dream no my nexus 7 stock room /rooted, really love it not to have the stupid thick navigation bar there, Button Savior is just tiny dot with pop up navigation menu that can be placed anywhere around."

Mike

Sweet, I will have to check those options out.

edit: hmm I'm not finding fullscreen toggle on google play.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I love that the on-screen buttons make the usable screen smaller. It's really a ~4.5"-ish screen after the on-screen buttons, and that, to me, is more manageable to use. I don't mind it one bit. And I love how the buttons are adaptable to different situations. I love seeing them disappear every time I'm viewing pictures or videos. Something about it just feels intuitive and futuristic.

EDIT: I should say, I'm open to the idea of having an option to hide the buttons. Sort of like how windows or OSX allows you to hide the dock. I personally wouldn't use it because when I want to hit Home or App Switcher, I want to do it right away. Prefer not to have to swipe upward to do it. It's an additional step.

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Definitely doesn't sound like it'll be midnight. Better set your alarms for the early morning.
I've got it set up so I'll be notified within a minute of the change to the website (well, in theory... I can't really test it with 100% certainty). However... I'm not likely to have the volume up on my phone to hear the alert text in the middle of the night. As a result, I'll probably just wake up all the time to check, and they probably won't start sales until noon PST or something, which I'll miss because I'm barely able to function at work due to having been up every half hour during the night.

Damn it all.

That said, it surely sounds like 3AM EST (midnight PST) is the absolute earliest it will go on sale, and it's probably not going to start until start-of-business PST.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem too. But you have to weigh the benefits of it. For me I just can't stand by and watch as better and better devices are released that are more advanced and that is to my liking.

Granted I will catch **** from my gf for not being "blue" anymore for iMessage but she will get over it (I hope! lol). I've already told her how great WhatsApp is and was going to have us start using that already. Plus I can still iMessage from my macs and iPad.

Will miss iTunes Match but to be honest I mainly subscribed to that to help clean up my 10-plus-year-old music library. The price was worth to not have to dig out and re-rip old CDs (a job I had put off for years). I will have to get by with Google or Amazon for cloud music, both of which I have.

That leaves the big one: contacts and calendar syncing. I think Google has those handled pretty well. Assuming it works well on macs I can handle that.

As for iOS games.... well I do most of that on my iPad. The games I play on my iPhone are simple ones like Words and Scramble with friends--both of which I assume are on Android as well.

Anything I missed?

Michael

I'm with you on all these matters. I have my itunes playlists all put over to Google Play. I have all my contacts, email, and calendar all syned through my gmail account.

So I'm hoping the switch to an Android phone (MBA and iPad user) won't be a problem.

Only thing I can see myself missing is Photostream. Guess I'm gonna have to old school drag and drop photos to my desktop or I can really see myself getting use to Google+

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Is it tomorrow that the Nexus 4 comes out?
Yes. Unless you're in Australia, where they are supposedly out on the 13th as well (i.e., today there)... although I guess that would technically be true as long as the Google store opens by... what, 5am PST on the 13th? Something like that.

Hmm. Strong(ish) argument for them being available for sale prior to 5am PST tomorrow. Maybe.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
On screen buttons are the way to go.

First don't look at them as using screen space. Look at them as decreasing bezel size. If there was a physical button the bezel would need to be bigger. Personally I'd rather have the screen be bigger and less bezel on the bottom.

Secondly they adapt. They turn to small barely noticeable dots when watching movies and viewing pictures. They can also change by adding a "settings" menu (fourth button) if the app calls for it.

Third. They move, rotate the screen from portrait to landscape and it stays on the bottom.

Fourth, they are on screen so you don't need to brace the device to press them. I find this annoying with my iPad I need to support it for a home button press which has almost caused me to drop it several times.

Fifth. With ROM's they can be modified. I don't know the extent because I never messed with it but I've seen the on screen buttons different colors.

The on screen buttons on my tablet are one of my favorite things about it. Like mentioned it would be cool if you could hide them though.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Mike

I don't know if other ROMs have this feature but I'm running Paranoid Android on my GS3 and Nexus 7 and there's a feature called Expanded desktop which hides the status bar and navigation bar. You click and hold the power button and it's there. I would be very surprised if PA don't support the Nexus 4. Screenshots:

2012-11-12 18.29.41.png

2012-11-12 18.29.51.png

2012-11-12 18.29.54.png

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

First don't look at them as using screen space. Look at them as decreasing bezel size. If there was a physical button the bezel would need to be bigger. Personally I'd rather have the screen be bigger and less bezel on the bottom.

Secondly they adapt. They turn to small barely noticeable dots when watching movies and viewing pictures. They can also change by adding a "settings" menu (fourth button) if the app calls for it.

Third. They move, rotate the screen from portrait to landscape and it stays on the bottom.

Fourth, they are on screen so you don't need to brace the device to press them. I find this annoying with my iPad I need to support it for a home button press which has almost caused me to drop it several times.

Fifth. With ROM's they can be modified. I don't know the extent because I never messed with it but I've seen the on screen buttons different colors.

The on screen buttons on my tablet are one of my favorite things about it. Like mentioned it would be cool if you could hide them though.

Everyone's personal preference is different I suppose, I absolutely detest them. Even when they shrink down, they still take up the same amount of space. I find myself also hitting them all the time by accident when using the onscreen keyboard, putting my back into the home screen or somewhere else.

You don't need to expand the bezel area to get a physical button on there, just look at the galaxy note 2 and where it's placed. I'd place it on the bottom of the unit if held in portrait mode, so it would be on the right if in landscape mode, it's very natural to use it like this. You don't even need a full physical button, you can simply do capacitive buttons, the Note2 actually does both with a physical home button, and 2 capacitive buttons around it.

Anyhow I don't mean to complain, I am just going to root mine and it looks like there are programs out there which will allow me to get full screen. I'm already trying button saviour and it's pretty good.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I definitely prefer on screen buttons and enough to actually disable the capacitive buttons on my GS3 and use them instead.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Anything I missed?

Michael

to me the point of a good phone is that it easily syncs with all of my other devices. I just cannot imagine what I would gain from the nexus. I talk on the phone, text, surf the web, mail, calendars, reminders...all things that work better with my apple eco-system. The major draw use to be having flash, but that is dead in mobile devices and not available with JellyBean.

Also, I use airport express/extreme which only can be set up with IOS devices (aside from a laptop) and phillips hue lighting system.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
to me the point of a good phone is that it easily syncs with all of my other devices. I just cannot imagine what I would gain from the nexus. I talk on the phone, text, surf the web, mail, calendars, reminders...all things that work better with my apple eco-system. The major draw use to be having flash, but that is dead in mobile devices and not available with JellyBean.

Also, I use airport express/extreme which only can be set up with IOS devices (aside from a laptop) and phillips hue lighting system.

You can still sideload flash if you really want it.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Exellent, I'm hoping that because I signed up to be notified by Google, they'll email me the instant I can physically buy it. I've thought long and hard about making the move to Android from iPhone.

I've been with iPhone since the 2G, have bought every single iPhone except the 3GS, briefly tried Windows Phone but found it not to my liking, now I'm giving Android a go.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Exellent, I'm hoping that because I signed up to be notified by Google, they'll email me the instant I can physically buy it. I've thought long and hard about making the move to Android from iPhone.

I've been with iPhone since the 2G, have bought every single iPhone except the 3GS, briefly tried Windows Phone but found it not to my liking, now I'm giving Android a go.
That's very similar to my evolution. I'm not saying I won't come back to the iPhone, or even that I'll not come back to my current iPhone, but I really want to give the N4 a shot. In many ways, switching now give me the same tingly feel that switching to OS X (after switching from OS 7 to Windows in the 90s) did a decade ago.

The email notification should get to you within maybe 20 minutes of the store opening (maybe within a minute - who knows how many are on that list). I think we here are worried it'll sell out, but I strongly suspect that, if you order by early morning work hours EST (maybe 9am EST at the latest), you'll be fine.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sweet, I will have to check those options out.

edit: hmm I'm not finding fullscreen toggle on google play.

Button savior is in the market. The other one you have to get the .apk file and install it. I usually find those at 4shared.com and type in the file name followed by .apk but dont know if you will find that one on there.

BTW the button savior dont look very good to me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Button savior is in the market. The other one you have to get the .apk file and install it. I usually find those at 4shared.com and type in the file name followed by .apk but dont know if you will find that one on there.

BTW the button savior dont look very good to me.

TYVM, helps a lot. Yeah I can't say button saviour is great, but it's MUCH better than losing screen real estate for my needs. I'm going to give this all a try when I get my 3g N7 in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.