Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone know what the Play Store's return policy is? I snagged a Note II for AT&T but would like to have this side by side for comparison.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Anyone know what the Play Store's return policy is? I snagged a Note II for AT&T but would like to have this side by side for comparison.
15% restocking fee:
Returns

If for any reason you do not wish to keep your device, you have up to 15 days from the date the device is delivered to you to cancel your purchase and intiate a refund. Please contact our support team by email to return your device. Once you fill out the form, the following will occur:
  • We send a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) and a pre-paid UPS shipping label to your email address. These will be sent in two separate emails.
  • Print the RMA (attached in the email) and place the form inside of the shipping box you're returning.
  • Print the pre-paid UPS shipping label and attach the label to the outside of the shipping box.
    For additional tips, please see information on preparing your device for return.

You can initiate a return within 15 days of delivery. Upon receipt of your returned device, we'll issue a refund to the original Google Wallet account minus a 15% restocking fee (if applicable). We may waive the fee for an unopened box in perfect condition. For damaged units, customers may be charged additional restocking fees based on the state of your returned device.

Refunds for returned devices will be issued to the credit card used when making the original purchase with your Google Wallet account. You may not be refunded for the shipping cost of the original purchase.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I hear you. I'm giddy over it, and I can't even fully explain why. I don't care, though - it's nice to be excited about a launch again... I think the last one that really got me this antsy was the iPhone 4. Must be phones with '4' names. ;)

The iPhone 4 was the last one I was really excited about too. I just hope I can get this Nexus 4 in my hands quickly. Shocked to be saying that about android, dang.

Michael

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The iPhone 4 was the last one I was really excited about too. I just hope I can get this Nexus 4 in my hands quickly. Shocked to be saying that about android, dang.
As am I!

Had I not gotten a Nexus 7 because the Kindle Fire HD delivery date was extended, I'd never be considering this. Now, I'll lose sleep waiting for it to go on sale.

Hey, it might suck. But at least it'll be different. I'm always a fan of the underdog.

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
It's been exciting following the announcement of the 4 and 4.2. I won't be getting one as I am on Verizon but just recently bought a GN after having a 4S for a year and an loving it. Already got the Google swipe keyboard and makes typing easier and less strain on my fingers and wrists!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Likely in a way far more convoluted than need be. ;)

First, I created an AppleScript (using AppleScript Editor) with the following contents:
Code:
tell application "Mail"
	set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"Buy the N4!", content:"https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb", visible:true}
	tell theNewMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"YOUR_EMAIL_OR_TEXTING_ADDRESS"}
		send
	end tell
end tell
where you'd replace YOUR_EMAIL_OR_TEXTING_ADDRESS with your actual address. Note you can copy and paste that "make new to recipient at..." line to send to multiple places, like a text address and a legitimate email address. This script just sends a simple email to the address. Feel free to change the subject or contents. Edit: be sure to test it by running the script within AppleScript Editor.

Then I have a simple script running in a loop. It looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

while (true)
  do
    if [ `curl -s https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb | grep "Available for purchase on Tuesday, Nov. 13th" | wc -l` -eq 0 ]
      then 
        osascript ~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt; exit
    fi
    sleep 300
  done
It checks every 300 seconds (5 minutes) for a specific change to the N4 link (no more "Available for purchase on...") and exits once the site changes. You could reduce the time, but I'd not make it too small, lest you become noticed. 60 (seconds) seems like a minimum.

You'd replace '~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt' with the location of your AppleScript, and be sure to make it executable ('chmod +x shell_file_name'). Then, leave it running in a Terminal shell.

Again, I'm sure there are vastly easier ways to do this. This way was just fastest for me.

Ok I got the first script made. And it is sending me an email every time I run it so that is working so far.

Now for the second script, did you make that in AppleScript Editor too? I am getting a Syntax error when trying to run it inside AppleScript Editor, so I am guessing that this just needs to run in Terminal?

And how exactly do I make the first script executable? (I have mine named the same as yours and in the same location)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ok I got the first script made. And it is sending me an email every time I run it so that is working so far.

Now for the second script, did you make that in AppleScript Editor too? I am getting a Syntax error when trying to run it inside AppleScript Editor, so I am guessing that this just needs to run in Terminal?

And how exactly do I make the first script executable? (I have mine named the same as yours and in the same location)
No, sorry, the second script you could just paste into TextEdit and save (in ML - in Lion, there was a bug where it wouldn't let you make such things executable without jumping through hoops, but I think that's been fixed). Just make sure you set it to plain text, not RTF (rich text format). Traditionally, you'd name it whatever_you_want.sh (the ".sh" notes it as a shell script).

To make it executable, open up Terminal, type "chmod +x " (without the quotes but note the trailing space) and drag the file from Finder into Terminal, then hit return. For example, you might end up with:

Code:
chmod +x /Users/yourname/Desktop/checknex.sh

Let me know if you have any other issues. Also, if you want to test it, change the '-eq 0' to '-eq 1' in the script, then run it - it should send out email. Then change it back to '-eq 0'. That change says to send email if the page has the current text about waiting until tomorrow, as opposed to sending it once it doesn't.

Edit: I forgot to add: to run it, you use Terminal and just type the full name of the script:

Code:
/Users/yourname/Desktop/checknex.sh

or, if you're in that directory, the name prefaced by './':

Code:
./chexnex.sh

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've never thought of that. Great point.

LOL, i didnt consider that a valid reason but im not real picky either. Not saying he is...but things ive read here about things...like "my volume button isnt flush enough with the side of the device" type stuff, etc... is irrelevant to me. And those who say you can see pixels in text or the text isnt as readable or smooth or what have you when comparing a retina and AMOLED display...is BS unless your using a magnifying glass. Anyone who says that imo is full of it.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
No, sorry, the second script you could just paste into TextEdit and save (in ML - in Lion, there was a bug where it wouldn't let you make such things executable without jumping through hoops, but I think that's been fixed). Just make sure you set it to plain text, not RTF (rich text format). Traditionally, you'd name it whatever_you_want.sh (the ".sh" notes it as a shell script).

To make it executable, open up Terminal, type "chmod +x " (without the quotes but note the trailing space) and drag the file from Finder into Terminal, then hit return. For example, you might end up with:

chmod +x /Users/yourname/Desktop/checknex.sh

Let me know if you have any other issues. Also, if you want to test it, change the '-eq 0' to '-eq 1' in the script, then run it - it should send out email. Then change it back to '-eq 0'. That change says to send email if the page has the current text about waiting until tomorrow, as opposed to sending it once it doesn't.

Ok I just saved the second script to my desktop from text edit.

Now for the "chmod +x " part, do I do that for both files, or just the .sh file?

And I also changed it from "-eq 0" to "-eq 1" and changed the amount of time to 30 seconds but I am not getting anything.

Here is what I have in Terminal right now

chmod +x /Volumes/CB\ 2TB\ 1/strausd/Desktop/secondScript.sh

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ok I just saved the second script to my desktop from text edit.

Now for the "chmod +x " part, do I do that for both files, or just the .sh file?

And I also changed it from "-eq 0" to "-eq 1" and changed the amount of time to 30 seconds but I am not getting anything.

Here is what I have in Terminal right now
Yup, you only need to change the non-Applescript one to be executable.

That command looks right. Have you run it (the "chmod +x..." one) already?

Edit: see my edits above for running it - you'd likely just enter:
Code:
/Volumes/CB\ 2TB\ 1/strausd/Desktop/secondScript.sh

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Edit: I forgot to add: to run it, you use Terminal and just type the full name of the script:

Code:
/Users/yourname/Desktop/checknex.sh

or, if you're in that directory, the name prefaced by './':

Code:
./chexnex.sh

Ok I got it to run. I changed it to 3 seconds and -eq 1 but it never sends the email more than once. Is that supposed to happen? I am worried I did something wrong and it won't loop.

EDIT: Just realized that after the changes, it will check to see if the text is there. If it is there, then it will get out of the loop. Silly me.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ok I got it to run. I changed it to 3 seconds and -eq 1 but it never sends the email more than once. Is that supposed to happen? I am worried I did something wrong and it won't loop.
No - that's the way it's supposed to work! When the original script ('-eq 0') runs, you only want it to send mail once before exiting, or else you'll get a new email every few seconds. :)

I'd set it to 60 or better, and remember, you can likely use an email address for your phone's SMS (example: 1234567890@txt.att.net) if you'd prefer that.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
No - that's the way it's supposed to work! When the original script ('-eq 0') runs, you only want it to send mail once before exiting, or else you'll get a new email every few seconds. :)

I'd set it to 60 or better, and remember, you can likely use an email address for your phone's SMS (example: 1234567890@txt.att.net) if you'd prefer that.

Ya I realized I was being stupid and forgot the little I learned in my Java classes :p

I got it running right now. And it looks like it is continually looping since the terminal window never added another line so it looks good.

I am about to add every single email address I have along with my phone number email address as you suggested. Gotta be prepared :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ya I realized I was being stupid and forgot the little I learned in my Java classes :p

I got it running right now. And it looks like it is continually looping since the terminal window never added another line so it looks good.

I am about to add every single email address I have along with my phone number email address as you suggested. Gotta be prepared :)
Cool.

Just test it again (by running the AppleScript file) to make sure you added them correctly. :)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Cool.

Just test it again (by running the AppleScript file) to make sure you added them correctly. :)

Got it working. It is currently running right now, checking every 60 seconds and ready to send to 4 emails and my phone.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it :D

Nexus 4 Bumper added to the Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/devic...k?id=nexus_4_bumper_black&feature=accessories

Add another $20 to my bill :rolleyes:

$20 isn't bad at all. I will definitely be getting that. And my guess is that it won't interfere with the wireless charging orb. Speaking of which, maybe that will come up on the Play Store soon?

Do you mind posting pictures please. It's not available for my country.

HKp_xHnAX4JOxppxll2ovpnBj0Dr0tAMvzYO-gOkTZQJRn6I8h2DlyoEQ6Tw6h6tGw=w705

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
$20 isn't bad at all. I will definitely be getting that. And my guess is that it won't interfere with the wireless charging orb. Speaking of which, maybe that will come up on the Play Store soon?

Price is just fine, especially since I've spent tons of money on 4/4s/5 cases :rolleyes:

It's a bumper so the back is exposed so it def won't effect the wireless charging. Yeah, hope that goes live as well!

----------

16GB sold out in Australia apparently.

apparently doesn't work for me :mad:

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Sold out in Australia?! Oh no here comes another iPhone 4 fiasco for me! Up late pressing F5!

Every country has it's own inventory and plus those are shipping from singapore.

People in the states should be alright

To be safe however, I have page monitor running in chrome every 15 secs :eek: if the page changes in anyway. It binged instantly the bumpers went live.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Won't the bumper get in the way of the "edge-less" screen that's meant to make screen swipes more natural (for example when switching between tabs in chrome)?

Personally I'm going to pass on the bumper. It's nice though.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Yeah, I'm going naked at first. My iPhone 4S has been 'naked' for over a year now, zero problems.

Wait, it was live in Australia? What time did it go live over there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.